Alderney 2009

Adam F

Not quite right in my experience, Kam. I have been using these policies for years, with three different companies and they usually say it can be used for couple or single travelling but not two single trips to different places at the same time.

Terry.

Yes and no, depending who you got it from, if from an interenet direct insurer, where you pay

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the old adage of 'you pays your money and takes your choice' applies, as in all things. wink.gif

Terry.

that and reading the contract etc etc

I have just got insurance for a year for two from directline for 57.00

just in case

mark winfield

Mark, whilst I am aware of occassions when the return trip gets delayed a little ..... don't you think you are taking things to the extreme here? unsure.gif

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunately, whilst I will keep my fingers crossed for others, Phaeton won't be on the trip this time - which sort of sucks as we have travelled the route a lot in the last few years.

I have been off again for the last few weeks as the disc that was operated on last July seems to have 'let go' again, and I still can't even drive down to Poole yet so working on the boat to get it ready hasn't started - and I don't think it would be right from a safely perspective either (me not the boat!)

Will obviously look forward to hearing the reports, and hope AWOL gets sorted in time etc etc etc

For obvious reasons it's far too early for me to plan anything but I will certainly be heading over as soon as health, boat, tide and weather coincide through May and June to take advantage of the long days. Company welcome.

So I wish you all conditions like this for your crossings

user posted image

and if conditions permit you to anchor up overnight for your meal - take it, but take care!

user posted image

Edited by duncan

Thats a bummer Duncan. After our recent phone call I thought you were sorted.

You are sure to find company when ready to go over.

All the best with your treatment.

Martin

So was I Martin - it all went tits-up 5 days later in a big way (despite being fully rested at the time!).

Making progress with the symptoms again but I just can't see it resolving in time right now.

I guess I do have one tiny tiny plan X revolving around just dumping the boat in, changing the fuel filters and going - then hauling out again afterwards for antifouling & grp work !

Is there still room for Sweet Chariot + 4 crew?

Being Alderney virgins I do have a few questions... Humour me!

Presumably there are plenty of places to tie up once we get to Braye - do we need to book a mooring in advance?

Will we all travel over fairly closely together so when we reach the other side there is (hopefully) someone who knows the waters? What sort of speed do we travel over at?

Is the 'Visit Alderney' website accommodation section accurate as judging by that there does seem to be a fair amount of B&Bs with space?

For the fishing days would we be likely to go out as a group of boats again as I would have no idea where to fish over there?

How bad will the forecast be for it to be called off and for the return journey, if the Monday was looking terrible would we be likely to return Sunday instead?

I realise I must now sound like a total boring b*****d.

Cheers!

Oli

No need to worry how you sound, we would rather plan and prepare than have someone in trouble on the trip.

I will try and sort in order

When we arrive in Braye we take vacant moorings and let the office know, I am trying to pre book but that is not the normal process so it may still be 1st come first served.

The boats last year left in pairs to fish mid channel on route, [except Duncan who went a day earlier].

This year we are yet to confirm who is going with who, we will need to know where and when you intend to set off, what cruising speed etc, and probably what you would like to fish for on route over.

Accomadation has been sorted by those staying ashore in a variety of places , so I will leave others to advise.

The forecast will be observed very closly for the next couple of weeks, last year we had a 4/5 SE on the way over but dropping wind strengths over the weekend so we went. If it is reasonable we will go, but in the end each skipper/crew will have to make their own decision assisted and guided by others.

I for one would still go if the trip was shortened to three days. if Friday or Monday weather was poor.

Less than that and I would probably stay here but try and fish locally on the best day/days instead of Alderney

Last year we got together to gather fishing info prior to going, [as I had never been over in my own boat]. but each day we stayed in comms and company and shared a lot of info at night in the Pubs. biggrin.gif

Again if you can offer an idea of the type of fishing you like to do and species we may be able to add information.

I hope that helps

Charlie biggrin.gif

Duncan

If we can help with anything pre trip on the boat let us know biggrin.gif

Charlie - thanks let's see how things develop

Oli,

As Charlie said the forecast last year was for the worst anticipated conditions to be met head on leaving Poole - which is personally the best way because you can try a few miles and make your decision based on reality! Personally my normal decision points are

1. leaving home based on forecasts, light vessel readings, web cams

2. leaving Poole harbour entrance (normally covered off by the Bournmouth surf cam nowadays ie I see it live before I get there)

3. 5 miles clear of Durlston Head - experience tells me that before then I have a lot of inshore tidal influence, and that I'm not really exposed to the channel conditions at all. From there it tends to remain constant for the next 30 miles although obviously tide changes and wind direction have a say in that. Generally if it's SW and I'll be crossing in the flood the above is 'solid', NE or NW and whilst I won't' get the full effect of the wind until much much later I don't really mind when it's behind (unless against the tide). This is also where I call up Portland and advise them of my intentions.

Last year the conditions the evening before were excellent, with the SE4/5 coming on the next morning - so I decided to run over in the evening and I don't usually stop to wreck anyway.

Whilst it happens to be club people heading over it's not a formal club event and, as always, decisions are the responsibiity of each skipper.

Over there it's every boat for itself in the rush for bragging rights - only kidding.......... there will be charter boats fishing the same areas at this time of year as well as the club boats and the 'marks' are pretty obvious in the main with the tide marking the banks pretty clearly as well - a bit like the small rip off Old Harry in most cases.

You will get your bearing pretty quickly when over there, and just get it fixed in your head that slack water is around half tide - not at high and low as you might expect.

Even if the weather does kick up unexpectedly it should only cost time, and possibly a bit of fuel, as you head back at 8 knots. Some club members have been known to enjoy a flat crossing so much they run all the way back from Guernsey at 5 knots - but I think that's taking things a bit far. blink.gif

Charlie/Duncan,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Both extremely helpful. Our hope is to catch some nice flatties more than anything else - I would die and go to heaven if I boated a nice turbot/brill. Not too bothered about targetting Tope as we seem to do fairly well for those over this side (famous last words). Definitely would like to stop mid channel though for a wreck/brittle stars. We're an Arvor 230 so I guess would cruise ideally at about 15kts.

my thoughts exactly Oli - it's always a tough call about stopping off at areas you are passing over (but probably wouldn''t go all that way just to visit unless you were TB!) but at the end of the day it's the banks (and the odd beer, warm sunshine, clear water and crac) that is the main event.

last years club trip was a disaster from me fish wise as I didn't even get a single flattie bite, hooked and lost a probable porgy (30 sec after it swam off towing the boat it bit through the wire biting trace) and whilst I landed the largest fish of the trip it had wound itself up in my line so much it couldn't fight........... but normally if you work at the banks fishing properly you will be rewarded.

on your own boat you can fish light and enjoy the fight in a way that wouldn't be acceptable on a charter boat. I use a light but firm St Croix rod, 14lb braid and 3oz bomb which equates to about 20 mins of great action with a 10lb tub, and pound for pound the brill seem to fight even harder.

One from a 2007 trip

user posted image

Well that photo has pretty much sealed the deal - just need to sort out the accommodation. How sympathetic are they to cancellations if the sea isn't crossable?

Tom you are more than welcome to join us if you think it will be comfortable with 5? You sell the boats so you know best!

Oli assuming AWOL has her new engine up and running we will be fishing for the flatties. You would be more than welcome to tag along with us. Regards cruising speed we will be traveling around twenty knots (weather permitting) but would be in constant communication with anyone in the group so you should never feel alone. We usually hop over trying some lumps of steel on the way. This would give you ample time to keep up.

There are several areas of banks around the island with "South Banks" "The Schole bank" and "The Casquets" being the main ones. Can I suggest prior to going over you look at your charts and familiarise yourself with the area fully. Although for the most part we will be in company you do need to prepare. I would assume you have chart plotter and studying your charts of the area with the plotter will soon get you up to speed. I have been over on my own boat two years running and every time prior to leaving I check my chart and re-familiarise myself with the area.

This is not just a fishing trip, it is an adventure with an excellent social element thrown in. Well worth the effort spent preparing.

As an aside I would suggest you don't want any more crew on the boat. You will be drift fishing for the most part and it can get messy with lots of lines out even for an experienced crew on a small boat.

Oli assuming AWOL has her new engine up and running we will be fishing for the flatties. You would be more than welcome to tag along with us. Regards cruising speed we will be traveling around twenty knots (weather permitting) but would be in constant communication with anyone in the group so you should never feel alone. We usually hop over trying some lumps of steel on the way. This would give you ample time to keep up.

There are several areas of banks around the island with "South Banks" "The Schole bank" and "The Casquets" being the main ones. Can I suggest prior to going over you look at your charts and familiarise yourself with the area fully. Although for the most part we will be in company you do need to prepare. I would assume you have chart plotter and studying your charts of the area with the plotter will soon get you up to speed. I have been over on my own boat two years running and every time prior to leaving I check my chart and re-familiarise myself with the area.

This is not just a fishing trip, it is an adventure with an excellent social element thrown in. Well worth the effort spent preparing.

As an aside I would suggest you don't want any more crew on the boat. You will be drift fishing for the most part and it can get messy with lots of lines out even for an experienced crew on a small boat.

Thanks very much, it would be great to join you. I am on the case with the chart studying, must get on the boat and see if the card in my plotter contains detailed Alderney maps though.

Regarding bait do you usually feather launce and use that along with mackerel?

It sounds like an excellent trip and a great opportunity to meet everyone - we can't wait.

Oli

You offer of a space is really appreciated, but whilst you can fish five, a first go over on the banks would see you far better saving the space to help you find your Turbot legs.

I'll be happy to look over your charts with you and steer you in roughly the right location, but you'll have loads of guys over with you, all of who will make sure you are heading the right way and help set you up for a successful trip.

Thanks again

Tom

Oli,

We will be leaving from Parkstone too and have a similar sized boat - Joint Venture - Aquafish23 - happy to buddy up with you as much as possible.

We will have 3 onboard and will cruise up to 24 knots if its flat and as slow as is comfortable if its bumpy. The worst I'd want is a F4/5 SE as others have mentioned - even then I'd want an improving forecast - there is always another weekend.

We are aiming to leave the marina about 6-6.30am. I'm staying onboard, the others are either camping or have a B&B.

The B&B's vary - some will sting you if you cancel, others are sympathitic - have a ring round - but this late you may be limited - have a look at the camping option if not?

Looking forward to it!

Adam

hi everyone,

would it be ok if me and one crew came along on yelo (jeanneau 695) for the trip.

never met Tom, but be more than welcome to come with us, as i've got no knowledge of the island, and he sounds very knowledgeable and would be a great help as we are first time visitors!!

i did read the reports of how to get there, hopefully would be cruising at 17 knots so hoping to tag along with same speed boats!!

kev.