Alderney 2009

Adam F

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie,

Do they do petrol as well ? - If so what is their price ( Just thinking of the refuelling of Just Purfick ).

I'll be leaving with a 40 Gallon tank + 20 Gallon reserve.........4 Gals an hour @ 3000RPM = 20knts, hopefully equals a 40 gallon refill on Alderney for 3 days.........

Tomo unsure.gif

Sounds like a great oportunity to take a fleet, if we can fill all the spaces

It may be interesting to see what the various boats intend to do, so we can start to look at passage plans

I will start the ball rolling so in settled weather it would be:

Day1

Leave poole in time to get to mid channel wreck and hour or two before slack, drift then anchor for eels, then maybe run to the island for tope fishing.

Day 2 Fuel and a mix of Flatfish drifting, tope

Day 3 Flatfish, tope or bass

Day 4 Drifting wrecks on way home for table fish,

Of course this could all change with weather.

When I get home I will contact Rupert to see if he can recomend other accomadation and discuss petrol situation and see if it is possible to reserve moorings.

Charlie

Sounds like a great oportunity to take a fleet, if we can fill all the spaces

It may be interesting to see what the various boats intend to do, so we can start to look at passage plans

I will start the ball rolling so in settled weather it would be:

Day1

Leave poole in time to get to mid channel wreck and hour or two before slack, drift then anchor for eels, then maybe run to the island for tope fishing.

Day 2 Fuel and a mix of Flatfish drifting, tope

Day 3 Flatfish, tope or bass

Day 4 Drifting wrecks on way home for table fish,

Of course this could all change with weather.

When I get home I will contact Rupert to see if he can recomend other accomadation and discuss petrol situation and see if it is possible to reserve moorings.

Charlie

Similar plan for me except I would forgoe the conger fishing so:

Day 1 = Trip over planned to fish wrecks on way. Assuming no engine probs this year onto Casquest banks for flatties. into port for wash and brush up then pub tongue.gif (thats Deans idea laugh.gif )

Day 2 = Banks for flatties and bass end of day same as day 1 (so long as day 1 wasn't too messy rolleyes.gif )

Day 3 = Flatfish and Bass eve similar

Day 4 = Maybe tope + Hurd deeps and wrecks on the way home or if the rips are fishing maybe a trip there then home

I would like to try the inshore mark for light line Pollock but this is tide and weather dependant> I believe the ebb is best for this? is that correct

Fueling up would be undertaken as and when

Martin

As per Martin, not really bothered about the conger.

Wouldnt mind having a go at the bream for a change this year. On mark's site he had a cracking pair of huge Couch's last week. Would make a nice change.

Also - if we go for 4 days, and we get the weather I'd like to raft up a few boats and have a BBQ one eve?

Adam

RE: Petrol :-

Mark from Alderney Angling has been really helpful as ever and the information to date is :-

Fuel can be got from the petrol station at the top of the harbour using jerry cans. . However, we could well be seeing a fuel pump at the waterside, either in the inner harbour or at a later date on the quay.

He is going to let me know by April time.

Prices I think are 88p/litre.

The petrol station is apparently within walking distance.

We thought that we could be on our own for the congering, but on a four day trip we fancy a go on the outbound leg.

a. we will be keen and fresh

b. They all go back anyway so will not have a storage issue

However if the weather was poor or the trip shortened its the anchoring that would be omitted.

We had a go on the way back last year about 20 mile out the water had clouded and the pollack were not taking lures so we anchored. when the fish started to feed nobody had the energy left or enthusiasm to take them on.

Charlie

is this trip only open to poole boat club members?

Its never been discussed as far as I can remember, but with all the backup , help with organisation, fishing tips and possibly a bit of block discount here and there, joining the Club and coming as a Member could be a good decision.

Charlie biggrin.gif

as with all passage plans Phaeton's is fluid and weather dependant.

will wander out of Poole on the ebb, turn right round Old Harry onto 210 on my compass and review when 5 miles past Durlston where the true crossing state should be apparent in anything but winds from the East at all. Three times we have diverted here rather than ploughing on, twice to Weymouth and once to Cherbourg (because we could make 15 knots on that course OK but only 7 on the other!)

we may or may not stop for a drift or two = probably not.

most of the time we will be on the banks - but there are a lot of them to choose from.

at some point I would like to renew the aquaintence of the 'fish' that cut clean through my wire trace after towing the boat for 20 seconds......

we will stay where the weather permits - Braye sucks for a small boat in NEs and even moderate SE winds

we will come back when the weather suggests - or we run out of beer.

as everyone else i am of course working on the assumption of NW1-3 heading over and SW1-3 heading back with just enough breeze to keep the sunstroke down in between...but very occasionally it doesn't pan out that way!

Hi Guys

I know some are already booking accomadation and as its a Bank Holiday I would suggest all that are staying ashore look into it soon.

Apart from Mark at Alderney Angling, Rupert at Mainbrayce recomends Ingrid at At Anne's Guest House

I received the following this morning

Hello,

Just seen Rupert Street and he asked me to email you my availability in May (he did not say which dates ! - so here is the whole month)

My Guest House has one twin bedded room with seperate private bathroom

One double ensuite with extra bed

One family ensuite with double + 2 singles

Both the double and family can be booked just for 2 people

1st May available one twin, one double

2 - 12 inclusive all rooms available

17 - 24 inclusive all rooms available

27 - 29 inclusive all rooms available

Regards

Ingrid Murdoch 01481 823145

St Anne's Guest House

Alderney

I hope that helps

Charlie

Can't book anything unless anyone needs crew and can offer me a space

Really? So both St Anne's and Alderney Angling are both full? If that is the case, I'm not aware of anyone else booking - we are going to struggle.

Camping is always an option - but a warm bed, hot shower and a full english is far preferable.

Apart from us, I expect some of the charter boys to be going ph34r.gif

I know from a couple of the websites that I browse a few crews are talking of april/may trips. ph34r.gif

So if people are going they need to start to book. I think we had 11 boats listed earlier so I thought spaces would be available??

Perhaps I am just preparing too early.

Alfresco is fully crewed up, and will add Sam if he becomes available.

Charlie biggrin.gif