Alderney 2009

Adam F

Adam that sounds ideal. Would be great to aim to meet you at the yard bright and early and set off together. Will you be stopping mid channel (weather permitting)? We're hoping to factor that in to the trip as there's a few numbers I'm desperate to try...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's rather likely I may have secured at least one space (thanks for the offers chaps) aboard a boat.

I'll be happy to sleep onboard or have a good three man tent that i'll be happy to put up for 2 of us....

Tom

PS: I've also got a really good two bedroom four man tent, but that is more hassle to put up and take down.

Edited by TomBettle

Great to hear that others are still joining in and Tom is sorted for the trip

Lets hope that we get the weather to go

Can we have an updated list of those going and there fuel requirements

I will in touch with Alderney again to talk prices

I will start it off again

Alfresco going for the 4 days 3 nights,

leaving Poole about 0600 on the 1st May

intend to fish mid channel on the way over and possibly anchor [weather permitting]

Cruising speed 18-20 knots on a good day

Crew of 5

3 sleeping onboard 2 ashore

will need 200-300 ltrs diesel fuel minimum

Charlie biggrin.gif

Charlie - there is quite a list and most have already stated what they need / when they are going etc - here's an updated list:

1.) Joint Venture - Adam, Bob and Alun - 4 day trip, leaving 6.30am Poole

2.) Awol - Martin, Dean, PJ - 4 day trip, Timings still open Poole

3.) Alfresco - Charlie, Gordon , Will, Sam, Dan - 4 day trip leave Poole 5.30am

4.) Just Perfick - Tomo, Paul D - 4 day trip, leave Xchurch 5am

5.) Wight Magic - Dave, Gordon H ,Bri, Leaving 6.30 Poole

6.) Court Jester - Neal, Mark W and D Whitfield, leaving am Poole

7.) GAS - Craig - Jackie ? Possible 50/50 tbc

8.) Marsel 2 - Alan + others ? Possible

9.) Yelo - x3 inc Tom Bettle

10.) Sweet Chariot - 4 onboard

Fuel:

Alfresco - 400 ltrs

Joint Venture - 250 ltrs

Awol - 300 ltrs

Marsel 2 - 300 ltrs

Wight Magic - 300 ltrs

Thats it so far. I think that I'll arrange a get together the middle of next week at a local pub for an houir or so to bring everyone up to speed and agree tactics as we have quite a flotilla leaving.

Adam

PS; Anyone who has any specific Q's - drop me a line on 07 957 829 902

Hi Tomo - not sure if we need to know Petrol - as this has to come from the garage? Thanks anyway.

Can we keep this as the master list and copy and paste?

9.) Yelo - x3 inc Tom Bettle

Fuel:

Alfresco - 400 ltrs

Joint Venture - 250 ltrs

Awol - 300 ltrs

Marsel 2 - 300 ltrs

Wight Magic - 300 ltrs

Court Jester - 300 ltrs

Hi Adam,

Looking forward to meeting next week. Have you heard if Tom is interested in joining us on Yelo?

Diesel required - 250ltrs.

Any questions give me a call on mob. 07747 618123.

Cheers,

Kev.

Dad and I will do our best to make Wednesday. It's quite tricky midweek as we live in London but do really want to get down for it. No doubt I'll be lumbered with the drive back!

Edit: Please put us down for 200 Litres

Edited by olimain

9.) Yelo - x3

Fuel:

Alfresco - 400 ltrs

Joint Venture - 250 ltrs

Awol - 300 ltrs

Marsel 2 - 300 ltrs

Wight Magic - 300 ltrs

Court Jester - 300 ltrs

Yelo - 250 ltrs

Sweet Chariot - 200 ltrs

Anyone who cant make the pub can call me the night after and I'll fill you in. London's a long way to come for a pint!

Tom B not yet confirmed - he's had a couple of kind offers and will confirm shortly.

Edited by Adam F

7pm - Bakers Arms it is then

http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/thebakersarmspoole/

I wish we were going next week - the weather looks cracking!! Which also worries me, I'd rather get the windy stuff out of the way now! wink.gif

BTW - Plan B for me will be moving the trip 1 or 2 weeks and setting off with the same plans. Worth bearing in mind....

Edited by Adam F

Don't sound so worried [yet] Adam.......much too far to call; not even convinced on next week ....esp. as DEb is in Spain and I have the week to overdo the fishing [weather is usually unsettled when she does this !!]

What model are you using to guess from??

At least the first comp on Sun looks set to get decent weather ....... a pleasant change!! Gordon and I will be chasing a few points this end of the Bay.... not sure on which boat yet!....but count us in\added to list.

Alun.

Hi Guys

Just a note from me to say a huge thank you to the generous offers of a space aboard your boats.

It really was generous of everyone to offer and I didn't really know how to (or want to) separate one offer from the other.

I am still only 90% on for the trip, but had to make a decision and ultimately I chose the boat and skipper that I know the best (only because I know he'll tell me to shut up when I am getting too gobby).

Thanks again to all the offers, I sincerely hope to be able to repay everyone's generosity.

For this trip, I would like to travel with Neal and crew aboard his Arvor 250 if his offer is still available.

I'll try and make the pub meeting where I'll buy all those that offered a drink and will hopefully be able to share some good marks and ideas.

Tom

Hi all

Looks like next wed it is then biggrin.gif

are we all taking charts etc or is someone bringing a laptop?

Do you still have the few marks we listed from last year for the way over or should I print a few?

I have just ordered some kit from Mark at Alderney Angling, some is being sent but I am collecting more bulky kit when at the Island.

If you are after mail order you may want to check their website, if it helps avoid postage charge and you are not coming on the trip, I could bring it back for you.

Charlie

Can someone bring charts as mine are on the boat.

The idea is to have a chat around leaving times, agendas and where and what to fish for, buddy boats etc - to be honest it's more for the boats who havent been over before so they know what to expect.

For this trip, I would like to travel with Neal and crew aboard his Arvor 250 if his offer is still available.

' Tom B in Arvor shocker!!!' ohmy.gif Never thought I'd see the day Tom, thought you were a Jeanneau though and through.... tongue.giftongue.gif

The idea is to have a chat around leaving times, agendas and where and what to fish for, buddy boats etc - to be honest it's more for the boats who havent been over before so they know what to expect.

' Tom B in Arvor shocker!!!' ohmy.gif Never thought I'd see the day Tom, thought you were a Jeanneau though and through.... tongue.giftongue.gif

He nows sells them so Stuart is probably sponsoring the trip LOL

If you need some brochure photo's TOM let me know, I have a cracker of Neal on the boat last year.

Charlie

no toms changed to arvors now , well thats wat hes trying to sell at work

As some serious planning is now under way can I pass on an essential consideration from my experience last year - FUEL MANAGEMENT.

For boats with limited fuel capacity:

In addition to the the trip over ensure you add plenty of fuel margin for the additional distance to/on/from the marks and possibly punching some strong adverse currents.

I like to finish any trip out with at least 30% fuel left in the tank but had a lot less than that by the time we arrived in Braye on day 1 last year (less than 20 miles worth). I carry spare fuel for cross-channel trips but refuelling at sea in less than calm conditions is an iffy process so best avoided.

Please bear in mind that the fuel point at Braye is tidal and will only be available from late morning to late afternoon with the neap tides during the visit. My plan is to stop into Braye and refuel before going on to the marks on day 1. Also the tidal flow in the Swinge will be running south (adverse) for any evening return to Braye.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious but better to have a reminder here than need a tow in.

Alan.