Alderney 2009

Adam F

Best of luck guys.

For those who have not done it before, guestimate more fuel than you may have... especially the shaft drive boats.

Very roughly, with average conditions and at about 15 knots a 23 foot boat can expect the following:

100 litres each way

50 to 55 litres each day on the banks

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A change of plan for me today so I won't be able to make the meeting tonight.

The possibility of me making the trip is still 50:50 (can't confirm until next week) so I will stay out of any buddy boat arrangements for the channel crossings at the moment. If the trip is on for me then I will check departure plans on here to see if anyone wants company.

Alan.

Weather forecast: UK

Day 1 to 2Day 3 to 5Day 6 to 15Seasonal

UK Outlook for Monday 27 Apr 2009 to Wednesday 6 May 2009:

On Monday and Tuesday it is expected to be generally unsettled with periods of rain or showers at times, perhaps with gales in the northwest. Temperatures generally near normal. The second half of the week will start unsettled with periods of rain or showers, but it is forecast to become somewhat drier and brighter in the south as pressure begins to build once more. Locally warm in the south, but still unsettled in the north. For the following weekend and the start of the next week conditions look as though they will become more settled again as a ridge of high pressure builds from the south, this giving some dry, sunny periods. Northern areas will be rather more unsettled with periods of rain or showers.

Updated: 1111 on Wed 22 Apr 2009

Taken from the Metoffice 7 day outlook....

Changed again this morning, so I wont panic until I see the forecast on Mon / Tues....

Plan B for me will be the next weekend with good weather. I know Charlie wants the smaller tides for the eels, but I dont want to look a gift horse in the mouth if we get a nice weekend?

Anyway - thanks to all who came to the pub last night - I was surprised at the turnout! I'll get a final 'data sheet' sorted today with wreck no's, mobile numbers, tides and useful contact info and email around to all who are coming.

Adam

Thanks Adam

Dont get us wrong the eeling is by no means a priority

Last year we went on big tides and although the banks fished the wrecks only fished at the slacker periods.

That is why I intended to try on smaller tides this year, when it became a four day trip we decided to give the table fish a miss on day one.

I would prefer to delay by two weeks, but that means Sam would not be available and it woould be just 3 days.

Interesting to see how much the forecast has changed since yesterday

early yesterday I started to think about going a day early

last night I was worried we may not get there

Now it looks like we could go Sunday to Tue/wed

obviously , as you have said far to early to tell.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Weather is now looking up - lets hope it holds.

One thing I didnt mention the other night - boat BBQ?

All being well, and provided the weather allows, I'm planning to have a BBQ onboard one evening. The plan would be to raft all the boats together, each boat looks after it's own food requirements, but a few beers and a BBQ on the boats could be a good laugh?

There are shops on the island for those who want to stock up for it, but I'll be throwing a disposible BBQ onboard and a box of frozen burgers and sausages int he ice box.

Hi Adam great Idea

Not sure I like the idea of a BBQ onboard, but more than happy to join in using my cooker and a few beers from the cooler.

Looking at the weather it continues to change far too often.

1 option is to go a day early, if the weather stays as it is on the current forecasts

crew availability is sorted out, accomadation we will look into if we have too.

Martin would that give you problems with a buddy boat? as I am sure you would not be able to go earlier.

Is anyone else considering this option?

Charlie

Whats wrong with a BBQ onboard? Anyway BBQ / Cooker - whatever, call it a onboard social / party! laugh.gif

Thurs is an option for me, but it's too early to call at the moment - forecasts only showing to Friday look good, so I'll be making the call early / mid next week.

Hi Adam

The final call is a long way off yet, but we have scope to go thurs if weather will be better, which is nice.

I have seen small BBQ scorch boat decks and my pontoons at work, so I will pass my burgers to you tongue.gif

we stay very keen

bring it on

Charlie

Ive now deleted Metcheck from my favourites - it changes so often and has long periods of data unavailable that I'd got fed up with it.

Windguru and XC Weather are the two I'm watching.

But they are up and down like the proverbial! Ive been sulking all day as they were looking windy, only to re-check now and see it looks OK again!! AHHH!!!

These last few days leading up to the trip are always agony!!

But they are up and down like the proverbial! Ive been sulking all day as they were looking windy, only to re-check now and see it looks OK again!! AHHH!!!

These last few days leading up to the trip are always agony!!

Thats why I don't look until about 3/4 days prior to the trip, saves on the agony

Martin