Alderney 2009

Adam F

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Struggling to work out a plan for fueling - the tides are crap.

JV will leave Poole with approx 170 ltrs on board. Assuming we use 100 crossing on the first day, that leaves us a little tight for day 2? We will def. need fuel for day 3, and then would like to set off home with a full tank.

Fuel windows assuming 2 hrs =/- HW are:

11am - 3pm on Sat (so could have an early bath and nip in to re-fuel at 3pm - could be a que with all of use though)

12.30 - 4.30pm on Sun (4.30pm would be good to fuel up for return the next day?)

Windows on Friday are too early, and too late on Monday. We will have 2 x 20l jerry cans onboard for worst case scenario, we can fuel manually.

My best guess so far is to manually fuel on Sat morning (assuming Mainbrace are open) to get us through to 4pm on Sunday where we will fuel for the return?

Is access really just 2hrs either side - we only draw 3ft?

Hi Adam

The times are 2 hrs either side of HW dependent on draft

a rough guide they gave me is

Fri 1100/1500

Sat 1200/1600

Sun 1300/1700

Mainbrace is open daily 0800 to 1800. if you need droms filled when the tides low.

After seeing the times I have tweaked my plans to put more in prior to leaving Poole then probably fuel day 3 at about HW, then go back out close to the harbour

for Bream, Pollack or more probably tope or even shark.

the only downside is there could be a big wait in line to fuel.

Charlie

Edited by great white

It is fractionally better than they suggest.

Last time I fuelled there I went in on the two hours before and had quite a bit of water under us.

There is a depth guage on the wall.

Those with outdrives will find it a little easier as you can trim up and save the best part of another foot.

It is a little tight to turn when you go in as it will be shallower over towards the beach area of the inner harbour.

Tom

Just checked a couple of forecasts myself - looking good for the complete weekend biggrin.gif

Unfortunately I definitely have to work on Friday, so considering my options on a shorter visit v. saving fuel/pennies/brownie-points for a later trip.

Alan.

Yes, even Monday that was looking a bit ikky is better and Tues looks good too.

The worst at the moment is Thurs / Friday - sat here now an early start and a straightish run over suits to miss if it does get up.

Bl$$dy work tomorrow.... it's taking an age to get here!!

Duncan - are you coming?

I also hear that AWOL has got the biggest half of the engine in and is now waiting for a leg....fingers crossed!

Plan A for JV still looking best - 6am start on Friday huh.gifcool.gif

Edited by Adam F

Adam

My 'barometer' has swung to the extent that I am extremely likely to be there now.

Initially improvements in my back and AWOL's problems got me to take some steps to make it possible (as a natural and very flexible back up to AWOL) and so far everything has gone forwards at the necessary speed. I understand that the gel and AF have been done (may need to finish on the bits the cradles covered prior to launch) and the batteries have been charged, the VHF checked and I've a HH plotter here with everything on it in case the boat's systems don't function as they should.

Some attention to the fuel system remains a 'must do' and then there is a long long list of should do's and like to do's.......and the usual large tool and spares kit!

It also means that if AWOL has some fundamental problem it will be Phaeton +3 for the crossing over! Friday 'when we're good and ready' is the current loose plan.

Edited by duncan

Well thats it

After checking the weather for the millionth time its time to make our mind up. dry.gif

I have decided to go for plan A

Friday 0600 or as close as we can Alfresco will depart PYC. we will listen on Channel 6. Hopefully so that if others are enroute we can keep in touch.

I may stop for feathering a few times, before drift fishing at least 25 miles out. biggrin.gif

To say the crew are keen is an understatement. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

It may help if I can let Alderney know in advance who is coming

If/when you make your decisions please update the list, as I would like to at least email them tomorrow.

Thanks Charlie biggrin.gif

Edited by great white

No one biting then?..... tongue.gif

Ah, well - JV will be going laugh.gif Cant wait - I'm sure a few text updates will find there way to the forum over the weekend. I'll be thinking about all of you back here..... rolleyes.giftongue.gif

JV - Leaving PBM at 6.30am with 3 onboard