This weekend

great white

We left the marina just after 8 and out to the 50 50 area. Just before we arrived an engine alarm sounded, so we swapped to a nearer mark dropped the hook and had a look over the engine.

Kettle on and rods out as we let the engine cool down. (should not take long it's minus 1)

A few whiting and a bass quite quickly, but nothing big

The only thing we could find on the engine was a slightly low oil level, so a bit was added.

At 11 the tide was a bit quick and bites were rare, so we pulled anchor and set off inshore. There were quite a few boats on the inner banks, we chatted to a few as we picked a spot. Anchor down and fishing started well.

Another slightly bigger bass, whiting , pout and to many damn doggies. Still it was calm and getting warmer, so we were having a good time and some nice lunch.

AT 1345 we decided the tide should have eased so back out we went. This time to our original target area.

Talking to Graham on the way past I was a bit concerned about so many Dolphins in the area. We did not see any and I do not think it affected us. 

In the next 90 minutes we had constant whiting, not huge but a few keepers to take home with the bass.

We estimated that we had over a hundred, keeping a dozen or so.

Heading in at just after 1600, we had enjoyed a lovely cold days fishing. Surrounded by lots of other boats doing the same.

Great to be out again.

Well done Charlie, hope the engine alarm does not reoccur. I've had random alarms on the odd occasion, doesn't do a lot for the confidence. You can try buttoning out the error code but a lot of alarms don't have any that we can see. As long as you leave the power on to the engine a Volvo engineer should be able to get the code later, they can get a wider range of codes.

Unless you are surrounded by dolphins I see them being here as a good thing as it means lots of fish around. Being as the whiting have arrived I assume that's what they are munching on, back in the Spring the bream arrived and so did the dolphins over the Ledge.

Thanks Steve

She is due an oil and filters change, so I will get that done before the next trip and see if that's it.

Damn annoying that the Volvo engine is controlled by ECU's but the read out on the dash gives no clues . Just the code.

I am sure you are right about the dolphins feeding on the whiting shoals, maybe the tuna will come further up the channel too.