Alderney 2023

great white

Hi Guys

Dave and I have been chatting about the annual trip to Alderney and need to see if others are thinking of going.

With the price of fuel and everything else [no regular crew] I will probably accept a space on Reel Magic again

Dates seem to be 12th to 15th May 

With a reserve date of 6th to 29th.

Anyone else thinking of going?

Or if a couple would like to come with me on Alfresco, please let us know.

With things as they are , it probably would only be on if we got a very good weather window.

Thanks Charlie

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, great white said:

Been trying to contact the accommodation on the Island for a coupe of weeks. So far no response

I have frequently experienced this, they seem to go into hibernation mode during the winter. Sometimes an email will bring a response but no guarantees. Who have you tried?

Terry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bouncing this one back up, for our friends that have been before and cannot join us this year. or other Members that have not been able to go yet.

Basically we had it all lined up and started the usual round of;

Weather watching, prepping boats and kit, weather watching, organising food, weather watching etc etc

you get the Idea. Lol

On the decision day the forecast looked reasonable and settled, so it was decided to go, I contacted the accommodation and paid our deposit.

24 hours later,  bugger it has all changed.

back to a cycle of weather watching and phone calls or messages.

Then phone hotel to see what options we have.

Another 12 hrs and its too windy, bummer. We need plan B.

This years accommodation will be the La Ville hotel, and to be honest they have been great, started off by offering us a good rate, backed up by good flexibility.

Even though we are beyond the cut off time and date they have agreed to allow us to transfer the booking and deposit to the end of May bank holiday. Thanks Roger.

and thanks Wendy for bending some of our plans so I can go on the next dates, which clash with Sam's birthday.

If weather allows I will still be out with the lads on Reel Magic this weekend.

But not at 0500 tomorrow.

Watch the catch reports.

Charlie

Dave's crew made the most of the weather that we had at the weekend, they managed to fish through the wind inshore on Friday, but it was a bit tough.

I joined them on Saturday. The wind was a bit fresh to say the least in the morning and the fish were hard to find when the wind dropped by lunchtime. But it was good  to be out again.

Two days of tough fishing did not put us off, an early gathering on Sunday and off we went to try some wrecking.

The visibility was poor but the sea state and the fishing were great.

1087253060_reelmagicatsea.jpeg.67177e47d14918bc772efa955102e832.jpeg

Many miles covered and a lot of wrecks fished, but it was like old times, plenty of fish

report and pictures to follow.

Good company, nice weather and good fishing, who could ask for more

After the aborted trip to Alderney Tigerfish's crew (Alun, Graham, Ian, Steve) spent the Sunday on the Shambles, being the next best thing. The sea was flat enough but the fog was an unwelcome companion the whole day.

We had turbot fairly regularly throughout the day, the best going around 5lb and reasonable numbers of keepers, many were small, just one brill. There was enough launce around and happily quite a few mackerel, some caught near the bottom were of very decent size.

An enjoyable day in good company, the boat was washed down and made shipshape in record time, thanks guys.

We had our AIS on as did Loobie IV (very sensible in the conditions) it was nice to have a bit of a chat mid way through the day.

One commercial charter had anchored plum in the centre of the banks; Oh yes they had their black ball raised but in the dense fog I thought it was risky. We drifted on collision course with them and took avoiding action, but with such little visibility it would be oh so easy to not spot them in time. Ian (who else) politely suggested to the skipper their actions were inadvisable. It was an accident waiting to happen.

No photos, however I did use the waterwolf. There is still tons of footage to go through, some of it interesting, most not. I'm planning to turn the interesting bits  into a video and upload to our YouTube channel, that won't be for a few days yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Well at the 3rd time of asking the weather is looking very good for Alderney.

Tigerfish is all set for a Sat to Mon trip, we have Graham, Ian and Alun on board with me. The landlady told me the island is going to be buzzing! with a cricket festive and another event, hopefully that won't extend to all the moorings being taken in the harbour.