Continental Beachcasters

Mike Fox

Hi All,

Now that we're in Tier 4, can't reach my boat in Brixham (Tier 3), I'm still suffering from cabin fever.

As a result, I've had a couple of good trips to Chesil, and have been looking at uplifting my beach fishing gear. I'm not in the market for a Century or Zziplex long distance rod, but feel I could might be able to cast a bit further with some improved kit.

The current trend for continental style 4.2-4.5m continental style beachcasters has some merit, especially when matched with wide-spooled fixedspool reels such as the Penn WaveBlaster 8000.

Does anyone in the club have personal experience of Vercelli, Colmic or other conti rods, and would anyone like to share what's good and what's less effective, in what conditions, what locations, etc?

Then there's the debate over tubular "power" tip, or sensitive "hybrid tip...

That's before you get onto rod action such as c-curve, j-curve, parabolic, semi-parabolic, etc.

All I really want is to lob 3 clipped-down baits 150m or so, spot the rare bites that might arise, and have a chance of landing them...or is that asking far too much?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike
I have two vercelli continentals, a shimano and the AFAW Fixed spool version. The vercellis are excellent rods but probably not strong enough for hauling in a large cod from Chessel.
They are super light weight and have an excellent bite registration. Mine will Chuck 8oz leads plus a large squid bait, if required but are better suited to 4/5oz plus a clipped down flapper. You cannot pendulum cast with them for fear of snapping the tip (it probably won’t happen but it always concerns me). However they will take a very good over head thump. If you get a good raft of weed attached to the rig then again proceed cautiously.
For heavier continental rods look at the AFAW and shimano.
I’d happily send you a vercelli if you’d like to try before you buy?

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, I also have an Ian Golds Fixed spool rod which is built around a Zziplex blank.
Again, an excellent rod. A little heavier to hold but will handle any fish in any situation.
Again if you’d like to test drive that’s ok!
Not many tackle shops will get you in a £300 rod on a try before you buy basis.

Neil

Kind offer Neil, thanks.

My son offered me a few casts on his new Vercelli before Christmas, but I declined. Thanks for the offer of a loan, but won't accept thanks.

Understand the concept, no pendulums etc, but like your idea of something a bit stronger, as well as distance and bite sensitivity.

I guess small ray, smoothound, strap conger and even cod will turn up at times, and it would be a shame if the rod was too light for the job. Good thought, thanks.

Kind offer Neil, thanks.
My son offered me a few casts on his new Vercelli before Christmas, but I declined. Thanks for the offer of a loan, but won't accept thanks.

Understand the concept, no pendulums etc, but like your idea of something a bit stronger, as well as distance and bite sensitivity.

I guess small ray, smoothound, strap conger and even cod will turn up at times, and it would be a shame if the rod was too light for the job. Good thought, thanks.

Yes Mike, the vercellis are a more “continental” fishing style rod as opposed to a slightly heavier UK beach fisher. I would definitely take a look at the AFAW range. This if you can find one won’t be a disappointment.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Anyfish-Anywhere-14--GB-FS-Pro-5856.html

I have a Vercelli Spyra Fiamma for sale which would easily handle chesil i have used on the Bristol Channel. I actually bought it with chesil in mind but realistically i only fish it a couple of times a year at most as spend most time on the boat or beach in Somerset. Google the rod and read any reports on it, it may be what your after

Hi Mike

It’s a mine field there are so many rods to choose from. There is a large range of continental rods and dare I call them normal rods. As you know I have been involved with casting and competition fishing for many years and have tried all sorts of rods. I use conti rods and like fishing with them the vercelli handles rays on Southbourne beach no problem. 
It all comes down to personal preference. Do you want reel up or reel down, over head thump, pendulum, back cast off the ground?  it goes on and on and on.. I would suggest you go and see Tom, but it is now tier 4 so you can’t go in the shop to see what he has but he knows a lot about the conti style rods and is always happy to give advice. I suggest you give him a ring he has a lot of experience as an England international fishing venues from Southbourne to South Africa.

If it wasn’t for this COVID stuff it would be much easier  to choose the right rod for you.

There is no perfect fit so a little compromise should set you up with an all rounder to suit your needs. Good luck in your search for the rod you want.

HI Mike

I dusted off the beech gear last lock down and ended up buying a new rod.

I went for one of the new Conti style rods for ease of use.

Vercelli Oxygen Airbone 420 LC was on offer from veals around £70.00 Hybrd tip. I've always used heavy 12-13 foot rods with a pen 525 mag so this was a little different for me.

Simple over head cast with a fixed spool gets plenty of distance with no stress. This model is fine for me as i fish mainly clean sandy areas, sandbanks to Southbourne, best fish so far on it approx. 15lb undulate handles it no problem but I would I say its a little light for shingle beech work and big tides I would be more than happy to buy another of these rods in a slightly heavier build to handle the likes of Milford and Chesil assuming the same build quality.

Vercelli Enygma Centinel-T 420 - Tubular (veals.co.uk) something like this I was looking at.

The only trouble is stock of fishing rods this year is very thin on the ground.

Mike

Lots of positive points here folks - thank you. Compromise, flexibility in "want" etc wil be crucial in deciding.

I'm finding it interesting that the range is so incredibly wide, models of rods don't seem to last long before they're replaced.

One weird thing I've found is that Vercelli rods are 50% heavier than Colmics, which to me signifies something to do with the thickness of the walls of the blank...

There's also a complete lack of independent reviews out there too.

I guess much is the same on the boat rod scene....

I feel a spreadsheet coming on, to compare and contrast. How sad :(

Lots of positive points here folks - thank you. Compromise, flexibility in "want" etc wil be crucial in deciding.

I'm finding it interesting that the range is so incredibly wide, models of rods don't seem to last long before they're replaced.

One weird thing I've found is that Vercelli rods are 50% heavier than Colmics, which to me signifies something to do with the thickness of the walls of the blank...

There's also a complete lack of independent reviews out there too.

I guess much is the same on the boat rod scene....

I feel a spreadsheet coming on, to compare and contrast. How sad

Mike you can spreed sheet all you like. But it’s not until your on the beach chucking a lead that you discover whether a rod is for you or not. If your after a continental to handle all situations then you really need to look at the AFAW FS pro. If you can find one or a similar rod in the range.

You don't need distance fishing chesil, 20 metres and your in deep water. I use a cheap 14 ft beachcaster which can get out 100 metres if I need it. I always fish two rods, one short

(30-40metres) and one long, invariably it's the short one that gets the better fish. Certainly the bass stay closer in particularly with rougher sea, they feed on the. Churn behind the breaking waves.

I also use a spinning rod with less weight when feathering that gets me out far enough, invariably they're chased into the shore anyway.

If you're looking for distance then go for the longest rod you can cope with, It's plain old physics, the continental 15 footers would do what you want.

It's easy to get analytical, but when you buy a dishwasher with multiple functions and programmes you end up using just one programme and buying another set of crockery and cutlery.

After much deliberation, I decided to stretch my budget and go for the Anyfish Anywhere range (thanks Neil), and have ordered the "Four and Bait" as a conti-capable rod with a bit more oomph, and a "Six and Bait" as a more powerful rod still that will perform well even without tournament-style capabilities. Both at 14 feet, and both ringed for fixed spool.

The positive online reviews of both rods helped, plus I liked the fact they've proven themselves over the last decade, the build quality being that bit heavier, and they don't keep changing the range every 5 minutes.

Sadly, I suspect I won't get a crack at the whiting with them, and might have to target the spring plaice and summer hounds when I first get a chance to use them, but that's ok, I suspect there will be ample opportunity this year.

When I get the chance, I can fish one long one short, like Ohgreatone does, have the option of braid for bite sensitivity, can use them together, or pair them with an existing bass rod or conventional beachcaster depending on location and conditions.

Many thanks for all of the comments and advice.

I look forward to practice, practice, practice! With bait of course Colin.