Continental Beachcasters

Mike Fox

Oooh, they've arrived....

Am now itching to go out and play with them, but am worried at the definition of "local area".

Ho hum, roll on the plaice....

You could go to your local open green space and (with caution) practise your casting with just a lead weight. It will give you the feel of the rods, and you won’t have to play catch up for distance once on the beach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to do that when I was into beach fishing but slinging a lead then hearing it go splodge then having to wind in up to the weight to dislodge it from the soft grassy area became tedious so gave up, beach it was, safer too

You can get casting practice weights. Which are basically a cue ball with an eye screwed into it. These fly well and don’t get bogged into the ground. Can also be used on the beach.
Or make your own

http://www.paulgoesfishing.com/how-to-guide-make-your-own-casting-ball/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Well, with the removal of the "stay local" constraint on exercise, I tried the rods using existing reels on 2 local beaches. The difference is incredible, they really launch a lead and baits with so little effort, and am already achieving decent casts of way over 100 yards (the old target back in the 70s) with bait, from little more than semi-powerful lobs.

I know the species don't count for our boat comps, but so far have seen:

Bass (first fish on each rod)

Flounder

Whiting

Dogfish

5-bearded rockling

A total of 10 fish in two sessions, so taking a few boat skills shorewards does work.

George also had all of the above, and added smoothound and plaice to the list as well.

Hoping to visit Feisty again after 12th April, and maybe stay aboard if it's warm enough. Not long now...

Hi Mike,  I managed to get out on Monday and Tuesday. First was Southbourne, 4 plaice and 4 whiting.

The west Bexington. 5 dog fish and 3 pouting.  I have introduced a new fixed spool to one of the rods with 23 lb braid and tapered shock leader which has improved the distance whilst casting. Tight lines