Rope around prop

Maverick Martin

On the way back in on sunday we picked up a rope around a prop.  Boat shuddered for a moment then carried on.  I throttled back to see a rope trailing behind us.  Tried forward then reverse but couldn't shift it.  Had both ends of the rope and tried unravelling then pulling one way then the other but couldn't budge it.  Eventually decided to cut as short as possible and make our way in which went ok with no apparent problem.

Now the question is would you have the boat lifted to check if the rope has gone or if any damage has been done to the shaft/prop or any other suggestions gratefully received

By the way the boat has twin shafts so grounding is not for me an option 

High Martin

You can get a waterproof illuminated cable camera on ebay for about ten quid. You load a little bit of software to a laptop , dangle it over the side and job done. You can save the images or video to your hard drive if you wish . 

Regards Richard

All sorted. Worth the effort as in the end rope was around both props. The port side had It just hanging loosely around the shaft, the starboard side was tightly wound and needed cutting off.

Saved Martin a lift out.

If any other members need a similar help, give me a shout. I'm less keen on diving anchors due to the time involved but nipping under a boat isn't an issue, provided you can work around my time.

Adam

Martin,   the saying is tight lines  not   tight   ropes   :angry:  :angry:   however    if you or anyone ever needs u/w  camera with its own tv give me a shout.    my diving days are long gone but if you do know someone with an admiralty pattern  6 bolt seibe gormans helmet and a suit, NO LEAKS IN THE CRUTCH  i am your man,  oh and we will need 2 men to turn the handles  on the air pump  25 revs per min  and a tender,  NOT !!  just showing my age  :(  :(                                     fair sea and a following wind to all           Derek     :)  :)  :)  :)