Cod Flatfish Ray Comp - 17th Nov

Neal

1) Court Jester - Neal Alfie, Stuie
2) Kingfisher, Chris, Jim (Tiddler) & Stu (Non member)
3) Fisheagle - Allan, Dave (Coddy). Have a spare space if anyone would like to join us.
4) Serenity Tony,Rich and John.
5) Alfresco Charlie, Will and hopefully Dan, have a space if anyone would like to join us
6) Hobit plus 1 non member ( staying in the harbour as first time out with new engine ! )
7) AWOL Martin & Dean
8) Wight Magic Dave ,Ben , Craig , Barney
9) Joint Venture.... Adam, Alun + Rob
10)Tarka V-Gordon and one Non Member.
11) Wishin Too-Nigel + TB
12) Tigerfish Steve, Alan (non member), Matt (non member)
13) yelo Jacob, Mick, Kev. Lucky for some          

14) Valton Malcolm,Tony

15) LIBBY Martin C, M Toms

3) Fisheagle - Allan, Dave (Coddy). Have a spare space if anyone would like to join us.
5) Alfresco Charlie, Will and hopefully Dan, have a space if anyone would like to join us
6) Hobit plus 1 non member ( staying in the harbour as first time out with new engine ! )
7) AWOL Martin & Dean
11) Wishin Too-Nigel + TB

14) Valton Malcolm,Tony

16) Illusion - Tom Smith + non member

7) AWOL Martin & Dean

11) Wishin Too-Nigel + Mal Thomas

14) Valton Malcolm,Tony

7) AWOL Martin & Dean
11) Wishin Too-Nigel + Mal Thomas
14) Valton Malcolm,Tony

17) Freeboyz- Matt & Peter 

18) Frisky Fox - Mike and Carol...as VERY late entrants

6oz whiting !!! In the harbour , the best thing was the new engine was fantastic , very good on fuel ( 16 lt all day

The other lads I met at baiter had all had a terrible day , 1 small gurnard and a couple of tiny flounders

It all went wrong on the way home, trailer arm sheared,, bit of a disaster after such a brilliant day out.

Cod 18lb 8oz to Alan Mapes on Tigerfish.

Alan Mapes Cod 18lb 8oz

Only counting fish on the day, we had so many snakes of all sizes that we moved off one mark just to get away from them! They must have followed us around as we had loads from the next mark too but it did yield one good cod. Lots of big Pout to just under 2lb too, no Whiting which was a bit of suprise.

One of Matts friends asked for a conger to eat, we selected one of 35lb or so to present them with :D, I don't think they will ever ask for another...

Great day out really, action all day.

Err apologies to Alan, the fish weighed 18-8 not 16-8 as I had entered, the text on the photo was correct.

Steve

About 10 good sized Whiting, some good sized Pout and some Doggies for Chris ( Kingfisher )

Pout for Stu ( non member )

Cordless Drill, Ratchet spanner and a Mig welder for me ! :D

No    seriously, I had two good Whiting, some pout, some doggies and a small Conger.

No Cod on our boat.

Jim

The day was a bit pants for us.  First chosen mark was about 5 miles offshore but apart from 1 conger it was barren.  Moved inshore to a bank not a touch another move onto the Dolphin sands which produced a few dogs and a 7lb thornback ray for dean.  That was our only weighable fish.  Dean had a bit of an accident falling over and breaking his Kenzaki 20-30 :o  it had only been used twice he is understandably gutted....wonder what he would like for Christmas :ph34r:  

I decided to avoid the car park and the deeper water marks due to the tide

We enjoyed a good day fishing in 90ft, lots of dogs and quite a few whiting and conger.

I managed a Small eyed ray of 5lb 10oz

Will had a couple of really good fish giving him some serious stick, before they managed to get off his pennel hooks in mid water.

We can never be sure what that was.

Lots of marks on the sounder mid water, but as the whiting had sprats in them I expect they were the cause

No winners for us today, but no dramas ether

Nice day out there today.

Biggest hook up we had was a hook into Stu,s finger!

A 1lb weight fell over the side causing the following hook to embed in his index finger and the bouncing weight making sure it was well in!

I cut the hook in two and tried with a pair of pliers to get it out, no chance.

Ended up dropping him on the quay and he jumped in a cab to A&E, all sorted and a couple of boxes of antibiotics for his trouble.

Well done Poole Hospital.

Cheers Jim for a good day out, just short on quality fish next time hopefully.

Chris

After our recent success Alfie & I were pleased to accompany Neal on Court Jester. A not too early start saw us on a mark a few miles south of Old Harry and big baits went straight down. I immediately brought up a tiny 1lb 2oz spotted ray - Neal was over the moon.

A couple of dogs followed until it was time to re-anchor the mark whern the tide changed. We had a very long quiet spell while the tide raced through, causing us to let out more anchor warp. At last the tide eased and Alfie had a proper bite and the target species landed on the deck - 15lb 5oz.

Renewed interest on the boat saw baits changed resulting in a conger for me and a strap for Alfie.

5pm we were back at Cobbs. Another successful day - thanks Neal.

gallery_1437_7_52776.jpg  

A mixed day on JV. Great to be back out though.

I had Rob and Al on with me, the weather wasn't quite as if hoped, but it wasn't rough either. I gambled against the IOW and the big tides and stuck to a trusted big ray mark on the spoils.

A smattering of whiting kept us busy, rob hooked into a big blonde ray, alas half way up the hooks pulled. I hooked what I think was a small cod, only for it to go slack and then solid and then slack again, on winding in the 80lb leader had been bitten through about a foot up from the pennels? A shark I think?

A move inshore out of the tide in the afternoon, proved unfruitful, although I did sneak a 2lb 3oz Spotted Ray for the ray comp.

The only downside was a recurrent fault code on the Volvo, 'low fuel pressure' needles further investigation. And then on entrance to the marina at LW I hit some rocks and took a chunk out of a brand new prop :-(

Roll on the next weather window!

I was invited out on Allan's Fisheagle with John, a non member.

With an early start to get the best of the flood tide, we headed out to a spot where we knew we would get some fish of some sort and it did not disapoint.

We had about a dozen good sized whiting and too many doggies to count. John managed three Blonde rays albeit about 2lb each!

We were later joined by Serenity and Frisky Fox

No cod or rays but it was good to get out and we enjoyed the bacon buttys supplied on board, we did offer some to our ajoining crews but they needed to clean up their boat and get an outboard to get the best flavour of cooked smoked cured bacon! ;)  ;)  ;)

We returned back to Parkstone at 2.15 to miss the low water and it was good to get home before it got dark.

Thanks to Allan and John for a great day out

Dave

B)

Biggest hook up we had was a hook into Stu,s finger!

A 1lb weight fell over the side causing the following hook to embed in his index finger and the bouncing weight making sure it was well in!

I cut the hook in two and tried with a pair of pliers to get it out, no chance.

Ended up dropping him on the quay and he jumped in a cab to A&E, all sorted and a couple of boxes of antibiotics for his trouble.

Well done Poole Hospital.

Cheers Jim for a good day out, just short on quality fish next time hopefully.

Chris

Stu's a tough old devil.

Chris wrenching at the hook with a pair of pliers turned my stomach, but Stu kept telling him it's OK just give it a tug and a twist. :huh:  :huh:  ;)

I'm not very good with other people's blood ! !

Thank you both for a good day out.

Jim

Many thanks Tony for a most enjoyable day out on Serenity.

The first mark eventually had an assortment of club boats on it. One with an outboard "Fisheagle,"  another with a mast and lots of canvas "Frisky Fox,"  and of course us in a proper boat. The fishing was very slow with a couple of whiting and plenty of dogfish being the only things landed. The target species were nowhere to be seen. Fortunately the banter and copious amounts of coffee helped keep spirits up. Despite a slight diversion on the way to the second mark we soon had the anchor down and Tony pulled in a small ray so it looked as if things were going to look up. The only things looking up after that were dozens of dogfish looking up at the side of Serenity. With the light fading we headed back. No prizes for anyone on this trip. 

Rich