Club Cod Competition - 10th November

Neal

We went out at 9am and I would personally say the right decision was made to cancel the comp.

It was uncomfortable and too rough until 3ish for the smaller boats.

Well done on an early call to give people a chance to change their plans. Always a difficult call.

Chris

Many thanks to Allan on Fisheagle in offering me a trip out with Jan.

When I picked up Allan the wind seemed calm but by the time we loaded the car with gear the wind had started to pick up.

By the time we got to Parkstone there was a good breeze blowing.

We left around 9am due to lack of water any earlier and all headed out to the 50 50 banks. All seemed calm until we cleared the shelter of the land and then the sea swell and wind was quite noticiable. We rocked around abit until it was time to go at 2.30.

Managed t get a few fish between us

Whiting

Jumbo pout

Tub Gurnard

Bass

Spotted Ray

Dogfish

Dogfish

Dogfish

Dogfish

We found the kennels!

no Cod however

Thanks for the trip out Allan

I think it would have been too rough for small boats so seemed Neal & I got it right.

Dave

There was plenty of wind and waves out there today

Not that Manta Ray was going to let it spoil our day, what a great boat she is she does you proud Al.

Not sure that I would have been so comfy on Alfresco south of the island today.

Thanks for a great day mate, Sam and I really enjoyed cod fishing with you and the guys today.

2 cod from the 15 or so weighed in.

While we did not win, that was certainly not down to any lack of effort

First fish to the codmaster weighed 9lb 10oz

Well done Nigel, 9th place.

The second came to me later in the day and weighed in at 8lb 15oz

After a little assistance from Paul Dore, who was tangled with my line and did most of the winding in. I was very pleased to see this fish

Hit the net.

At the weigh it was 11th and worth a few nice pieces of terminal tackle.

Charlie

My report on AA

" you got to know when to hold em, when to fold em!"

I live by that and with that in mind, I looked at the Kent forecast and knew I wouldn't get a launch.

What to do?

The pbsbac cod comp was scheduled for today so I asked if anyone wanted crew.

My friend Steve Scott offered a couple of places to Geordie Bri and myself ,and although the comp was cancelled due to a force five, many of the bigger boats, including Steves targa 31, headed out to the cod grounds by the needles. The anchor went down around 9 and we started to fish.

I had loads of jumbo pout, one huge one,and Bri was into pout and dogs.

Around 11.30 Steve caught a nice 12 + lber . I went down to the head feeling a bit queer, and after throwing up my ring ,I stayed shivering on the bunk in the aft cabin for the next five hours

Seasick Steve

null_zpsb314ebb8.jpg

At 4.30 I came up as the anchor was hauled and was made up to see Bri had a nice 8-9lber

I felt better as we were underway and glad to be on land.

I go out in lumpy seas on my yak and NEVER feel sea sick.

I guess boats , even beautiful ones like Steves, are not for me

Bri's cod

null_zpsb6a2a03b.jpg

The trip out

Good call on calling off comp, we ventured out four miles at eight this morning it was great going with the wind, when we stopped you had a job to stand up.

A slow bumpy ride back to the piers for shelter,but the fishing was slow. One o'clock we went back out not to bad now the wind had eased. Fishing was dog dog and more dog, and a couple of nice whiting on slack. It was a lovely sunny day to be out shame about the wind, never mind good day had by all.

Kev

Went out with Chris & Stu on Kingfisher.

We had Doggies, Doggies, & more Doggies.

Chris had a good sized conger, Stu had a Pout and I had a Screwdriver ( yes I caught a rusty old Screwdriver ) Chris wants to know if it counts for the species comp. :D  :D

Stu and I had a Spider Crab each.

Dave ( Wight Magic ) joined us at lunch time ish.

Thanks Chris & Stu for a smashing day afloat.

Not many fish, but a good day none the less. ;)

Cheers.

Jim

Great Day on Manta Ray with a crew of PBSBAC reprobates fishing the Lonis/ Lymington AC Cod comp..... we did have 2 members in the prizes..well done granddad to be....... Charlie Chapman along with Nigel Allen for getting amongst the sea pigs.... and the prizes....Oh and Paul Dore for loosing at least 2 sea pigs....so I was told...... and assisting Charlie to land his....unbeknown to Charlie, B) and with Sam Chapman..good at catching F... all.... even with the deployment of his secret weapon........but assisting with the releasing of the continual flow of congers...and acting as Anchor Buoy,sorry I meant anchor boy..The crack was great...oh and cheers for Paul Jennings for the constant supply of espresso coffee and Mal Thomas for doing a great job at cleaning the boat down.. now shining like a tanner up a sweeps arse..( sorry an old London proverb)...... what a great club.....PBSBAC .......pictures to follow from Paul J.

Went out with Chris & Stu on Kingfisher.

We had Doggies, Doggies, & more Doggies.

Chris had a good sized conger, Stu had a Pout and I had a Screwdriver ( yes I caught a rusty old Screwdriver ) Chris wants to know if it counts for the species comp. :D  :D

Stu and I had a Spider Crab each.

Dave ( Wight Magic ) joined us at lunch time ish.

Thanks Chris & Stu for a smashing day afloat.

Not many fish, but a good day none the less. ;)

Cheers.

Jim

Was it full size or a mini species?

Tony

Alfie & I were invited out as crew by Neal. First plan was flounders in the harbour but the decision was made to test the conditions outside.

We headed out around 9am and with a following wind had no problem making a mark several miles south of Old Harry. When we stopped  to anchor however it was a different story with a noticeable swell and choppy sea making conditions dooable in Neal's  stable Arvor but impossible for smaller boats.

Big baits went down to be immediately targeted by dogfish, but after a little while Alfie snagged a bigger 'doggy' and landed a beautifully marked bull huss. Was Neal chuffed or what.....

A little later Alfie landed a strap which made a mess of Neals braid but not to be put off Neal had a 2lb 3oz pout. The occasional dog then showed up until the tide started to ease and I had a good bite and an interesting tussle with what at first we thought was a tope, but was in fact a starry smoothhound of just ober  9lb. A more serious enquiry led to a more determined tug of war with a good conger of over 25lb before my bait was selected by the target species, a fit looking cod of 12lb 8oz.

We presevered for another half hour but couldn't find another so pulled the anchor and tied up at Cobbs just after 5pm.

Thanks Neal for another good day afloat.

Sea was a bit bumpy at the car park and the approach, I wouldn't have fancied it in some of our smaller boat till the afternoon. Seems like fishing from yaks does not give you sea legs as both Lofty and Brian were 'unwell', just after I made them drinks..., Brian stuck it out with a rod in his hand but we didn't see a lot of Lofty as you could see from his previously posted self portrait he retreated to the aft cabin close to the facilities...

Fishing wise a pretty good day, 2 sea pigs approx 12 (Steve) and 8 (Brian), a decent bull huss just under 10, my first ever :), pout and LSDs of course. A steady stream of snakes to Alan's rod, until I caught one at the last. Alan was using a spoon on the line, the only difference we could figure.

Once the tide died at the end of the flood we got among the Channels on baited hokai's, many were takers. Bodes well for the next few months, if we get a another season on the Whiting like last year it will be brilliant. With the light fading we called it a day with the Channels still biting. Lofty reappeared from his sleep to discover if you leave your bait out long enough you catch a starfish, can I add it to the boat species list???, it's from the sea it's got fish in it's name :D.

The boys did great a great job of cleaning down, thanks guys, it was fun but maybe not for Steve...