Cod Competition - Sunday 18th

Neal

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did it go today??

if it was a dogfish competition i recon i would be in with a chance biggrin.gif

The radio seemed to indicate that most were having the same sort of luck as me, with dogs, pout and whiting a plenty but cod a bit more elusive. I did hear a couple were caught tho.

We struggled and didn't even get a cod bite.Had a conger at last knockings that stayed deep and tight to back of the boat but with all my Wishin didn't turn into a cod mad.giflaugh.gifmad.giflaugh.gif

That's the second Sunday on a trot in brilliant sunshine that's fished pants.

A big well done to those that found one

Nige

Same around most places,'twould seem from what I gather. Bit of a lottery.

I suspect you would have to be in the right spot, at the right time, with the right fresh bait and really on your game to score today.

Strength of tide and weed will have scuppered many today. Even adjusting method to suit only produced one coddy type bite for me but the lazy bu@@er didn't 'ave it

What would be a PB flobber, pukey, pout for me was unceremoniously dispatched gutted and gently released into the fish box before I thought about it.

However, Let's 'man up' about this!!!!

What a beautiful day to be out on the tide!! and I wouldn't have missed it for the world - cod or no cod.

hasta la pr

We didnt manage to get any cod today either, loads of doggies like everybody else was getting, no whiting .................... But the day was made better by catching a

23lb blonde ray which put up a good fight in the strong tide.

You couldnt have asked for a better day, shame about lack of cod though !!!

MICK

I managed to get out on the outer Poole patch fro a few hours.

What a fantastic day

Strange goings on

huh.gif

Mackeral , huge wrasse, and a huge squid.

Yea, got the piccies , no idea what was occurring, very large shoals of bait fish , could it be sprats ??

The squid was around 5 ft long and 5/6 lb , not everybody's favourite for the table, but it's my no 1 for eating so I'm more than happy

Slightly later start from Cobbs but the same start as Wight Magic, slip and slide down the pontoons.

Out to the mark that produced a cod last week but nothing this week.

Lost count of the doggies, 8 whiting for the table.

A blonde ray the smallest I,d ever caught, the weight was heavier!!

Later Stu caught a smaller one I think the hook was heavier, ray the size of a saucer!

Stu got a lively starry smoothound about 6-7lb that had us thinking he was into a cod.

Not a brilliant fishing day, very lively at times then long spells of nothing.

Cracking day to be out though! biggrin.gif

Thanks Stu for the top bacon and egg butties and endless supply of cuppa.s.

Chris

Same as others really.

First comp I've fished this year.... A cracking day, everything went to plan.... Apart from the fishing blink.gif

Such a nice day to be afloat. Bacon and egg baps, loads of cups of tea. In t shirts by lunchtime, but hoards of doggies. I moved us twice but to no avail, more dogs. We had two whiting on the boat but they never really got going.

More disappointing winter cod fishing. I'll have one more try and then concentrate on shooting till Spring!

Same story on Manta Ray, even with a charter skipper on board, we still couldn't use this to our advantage !

I Had what looked like a cod until a conger surfaced sad.gif plus a few whiting but no mr cod today.

We had good whiting action around slack water ending up with around 10 fish in total.plus 2 doggies and that was it.

Still was a great day to be out and plenty of pizza and sausage rolls plus coffee on tap, plus good company, so made a really enjoyable day. Will be repeating the trip in 2 weeks time, so hoping the fish play ball next time.

Thanks for the trip Al.

No cod for Court Jester - but an interesting day with a variety of fish caught.

A few decent whiting, 3 bass around 3.5lb, 4 Blonde Rays - biggest 21.5lb, a few dogfish but not in plague proportions.

Just before slack water Mike Fox hooked something big whilst dropping his bait - the fish took line on his Avet Reel set on full drag - and just kept going, he had it on for a good 5 minutes but couldn't stop it. Whatever it was finally shook the hooks. We speculated as to what it could have been, but couldn't think of anything that should have been in the area.

Asd I called lines up to go home - "Dogfish" Dave Wilson hit the same beast again also taking the bait in mid mid-water. He was fishing with his 4.5metre Tubertini Atlantic, which earlier had pulled up the large Blonde Ray effortlessly.

Whatever it was this time spooled 300metre of braid straight off his reel with full drag - with the backing as well amost gone his line parted at the top of the snood.

So fortunately he recovered his brand new braid.

But we were none the wiser as to what was taking the baits - big Shark maybe?

But no weed, no cod unfortunately, but what glorious weather.

Neal

Well we had a plan and were fairly determined to stick to it, especially as Sam was onboard and always tells me off for changing my plans to often.

Due to the tides we decided to go out early and fish mostly on the gentler flood tide in only 80ft of water.

0800 had us at anchor on the chosen spot and some big baits going down.

During the first hour of the flood we were picking red weed off the line and wondering if we were in the right place.

But the weed started to improve and we were getting some fish so we stayed.

Most of the fish were LSD and whiting until Ben had a better one nodding away.

This proved to be a Thornback of about 7lb or so [returned without weighing LOL]

Will was in the cabin cooking breakfast when a gentle bite persisted on his rod.

Fish on and even better a COD biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

It was weighed at 9lb 10 and placed on ice in the cooler. another large cuttle bait deployed and back to the Galley. wink.gif

the whiting numbers rose for a while but no more proper fish

We fished on for an hour after our comp 7 hrs finished to enjoy the weather and land a few more whiting then had a nice run home on a calm sea.

Our day went wrong as we turned within the Yacht Haven to approach our winter berth. The drive unit stuck in fdw gear, which gives us constant 4 knots ahead and even after turning the engine off nothing we could do to prevent hitting a Yacht on its berth.

A very loud [and expensive ] crash saw two boats [mine and the yacht] damaged

Not a good thing as the Marina Manager trying to tell one of my own customers that my boat damaged his. sad.gifsad.gif

Still no one was hurt and no one was to blame either, so I will try to get her sorted ASAP, and hope that at least Will's fish stands a chance of winning.

Charlie