Alderney 2010... try again!

Adam F

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the absence of Hercule Poirot............

lets start with a few basic questions -

how are your batteries wired?

battery switches?

charging specials?

anything else related to these...

the deck-wash may, or may not be a complete red herring - general principle on a boat is to assume it's related (because otherwise you get into the habit of ignoring little things when they were your warning bells) but I struggle to relate a lack of power in the circuits with the capability to blow a 15A fuse. Thinking laterally you could have had a short in the deck-wash motor such that it was permanently on and drawing all the current - then something changed, it blew the fuse and the rest of the circuit suddenly had power available again - type thing!

lets start with the above questions first.

in the absence of Hercule Poirot............

lets start with a few basic questions -

how are your batteries wired?

battery switches?

charging specials?

anything else related to these...

the deck-wash may, or may not be a complete red herring - general principle on a boat is to assume it's related (because otherwise you get into the habit of ignoring little things when they were your warning bells) but I struggle to relate a lack of power in the circuits with the capability to blow a 15A fuse. Thinking laterally you could have had a short in the deck-wash motor such that it was permanently on and drawing all the current - then something changed, it blew the fuse and the rest of the circuit suddenly had power available again - type thing!

lets start with the above questions first.

1 x Battery for starting

1 x Battery for all other 12V systems

Both isolated, but with a cross over

No shorepower or any other chargers other than the alternator.

Have tried three separate batteries on the domestic system and all behave exactly the same so I believe the batteries are fine... it's the wiring.

My instinct is telling me that something is loose, wrong at the isolator, but can't see or feel anything out of the ordinary.

The confusing part is that it has all worked perfectly for five years, but then that would also suggest something has gone a tad rusty, snapped, frayed...?

and it sounds like Quest is wired similar to JV.

What?

I don't believe for one moment that JV is wired in an absolute mess!?

Could you please PM me Bob's number?

Cheers

Tom

Quite the opposite Tom! It's a work of art - all down to Bob.

I'll text it to you now.

Hi Tom

It sounds like a problem with the isolating switch would be a good place to start

try taking it out of line

ie take it off, take the wires off and connect the two heavy wires together

[put two on the same connector on the back of the switch for a quick test]

If you are stuck give me a call, I will bring a test meter over

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi Tom

It sounds like a problem with the isolating switch would be a good place to start

Charlie biggrin.gif

I concur; this would be my starting point (and I have had 2 fail) - but am worried about the deck wash factor indicating a wider issue...

Hi Tom

Charlie biggrin.gif

I concur; this would be my starting point (and I have had 2 fail) - but am worried about the deck wash factor indicating a wider issue...

Read Tom's post a couple of times and if turning on the deck wash blows the fuse then this certainly implies a fault with the deck wash. ( a low battery / poor connection wont cause a fuse to blow )

What was done to "bypass the deckwash" ?

Does the fuse blow every time ?

Does the deckwash work now ?

Isolator switch check is a sensible start.

I'm concussed blink.gif Electrics do my head in rolleyes.gif

Far better to Pay Bob F some liquid refreshment or engage an electrician then go fishing laugh.gif

Martin

Sort of a deal done with the Joint Venture team.

Using the Dorset bartering system of you want something I've got and I want something you've got (...I want Bob).

Not sure if Bob will be able to fix things, but if the lads next door haven't done it by the end of the weekend then hopefully Bob will take a look at the electrickery which also does my head in.

Alfresco

All 4 please, as anticipated.

When are we thinking of discussing/finalising plans/ times/ buddy boats etc?

I do not think with all the travelers that we need a meeting.

to start the ball rolling.

After I got back home last night, I looked at the tides and see they are about an hour earlier than on the 6th.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi Tom,

Sorry I didn't pick this up earlier but I wasn't following this thread because I ain't going to Alderney!!! weep.gif

I'll be happy to have a look at your electrics problem on Monday.

cheers

Bob

Cheers Bob

Really kind of you.

You had sort of been volunteered by your partner in crime for an exchange of favours, but it's good of you to offer personally! smile.gif Thank you.

Alfresco

All 4 please, as anticipated.

When are we thinking of discussing/finalising plans/ times/ buddy boats etc?

I do not think with all the travelers that we need a meeting.

to start the ball rolling.

After I got back home last night, I looked at the tides and see they are about an hour earlier than on the 6th.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Good call Charlie.

LW at PBM is 9.00, but I'm aiming to be away alot earlier than that. Probably 5am start to make the most of the day.

Happy to buddy with whoever. But Yelo, Wight Magic and Abode are all coming from Cobbs, so I guess a plan is for them to head out initially together, with JV, Quest II and Alfresco paired as we are next door.

If the sea state then dicates some boats can run faster than others then we can swap it around, but to be fair as long as we are within sight / radio contact all is well.

Adam