Alderney 2010... try again!

Adam F

Sounds good Adam but not sure about the 5am start as Terry has a distance to travel.

Happy to buddy with you and Tom, up close or at a short distance by radio.

I had chatted to Tom before the postponed trip and he was planning a run straight to mid channel and a bit of Mark hopping from there

1 hr earlier tides also puts tope in the frame on day 1, I think ph34r.gifph34r.gif

a couple more days will allow the weather to be forecast. then I will go through the more accuarate tidal flow books and charts.

If we go are you thinking of putting the boat into the marina on wed?

Starting to get the buzz back now

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that thought Charlie, very considerate of you.However, whatever the majority decide, I will obviously go with it as long as you don't mind me kipping on the journey over, sea state allowing. wink.gif

Terry.

Yep, I'll be bringing JV in on Weds eve, loading up with ice and kit ready for an early get away.

I'll leave at 6am, but dont want to leave any later.

Terry - Cant you come down the nigth before? I'm sure we can find you a bed somewhere?

Tom - What are your plans?

Hi all

I am coming over with Craig what b&b is everyone staying at ? has anyone got any tel no"s or do I just need to call alderney angling.

Cheers all

Ben biggrin.gif

B&B a'la Quest II.

BIG Thanks to Bob and Adam who appear to have fixed my electrickery issue.

Touch wood, fingers crossed, no ladders to steam under, lucky rabbits foot (no cancel that one on a boat), that everything works OK for the trip.

It's not too bad. Windguru my main site is giving Sat the worst, but Sun back to light NE again.

Windfinder and XC seem to agree, with XC showing F5's on Sat for a time.

I guess the next 48hrs will tell. We certianly dont want it to get any worse!

What do I think? I think BRING IT ON!!!

Ive spoken to most skippers this morning and confirmed a rough passage plan.

Ive got a list of skippers mobile numbers here if anyone needs them - drop me a PM with your email address. A link to the tides is here: http://www.alderney.net/documents/Ald%20TT...SinglePages.pdf

The Cobbs crew (Adobe, Wight Magic and Yelo) are getting the 05.30 bridge, so will be passing the chains about 5.45-6am I'd guess.

The Parkstone crew are aiming to leave the marina around 5.30-5.45 with a rendezvous with the others around the chain ferry. My guess is that once we clear Durlston head we will have a fair idea of the sea conditions and can then shuffle the boat groupings around depending on cruising speed. We have 2 boats without Radar - Yelo and Adobe, so these will need pairing with the others.

Seems like most people have a plan to stop mid-channel for a few wrecks I think I'll be taking the Western edge route , with a view to being in Alderney late morning / lunchtime. I'll then fuel up with the HW and then pop out for a few hours tope fishing before an early bath around 3-4pm to get the crew into the B&B and get up the Maris Hall for Pepper Steaks and lashings of beer.

Days 2&3 will be the Shoale / Casquets / South Banks with a smattering of Pollok or tope thrown in around the tides and weather. I think I'll also re-fuel on Day 3 for the homeward trip as Day 4 has a morning LW.

Day 4 for me will be a slightly later start and then a route out to the East to include a stop on the rips depending on how reports come back from the weekend. Hopefully aim to be tied up back in the marina for 5pm on Sunday, tired but happy with a buldging fishbox!

I think our trip may carry a some resemblance to JV's although we don't plan to focus too heavily on the banks.

Last day we may head some way West and use the flood tide to send us home in the afternoon.

Species hoped for:

Pollack

Cod

Bass

Tope

Ling

Turbot

Brill

Just bumped another post to remind people, but if you haven't yet booked it, you may need to organise your ice...

Edited by TomBettle

Ive also made a list of the main eateries as to avoid the usual Ch6 afternoon discussion of who is eating where and them trying to book using 118118 when the indian girl on the other end hasnt even heard of Alderney!

Marais Hall - 01481 822683

The Moorings - 01481 422421

The Harbour Lights - 07781 135616

The First & Last - 01481 823162

I think JV crew will eat in the Marais Hall on night 1 as it's traditional... the Harbour Lights as per Terry's booking on Day 2 and leave Day 3 TBC.

I believe Terry has booked the meal for Sat evening

which sounds good as it could be the breezy day so a return to fuel and get a chance to shower and change.

We are up for the raft BBQ if others are. Fri/Sat not a problem

My thoughts to head slightly east on way out, west on the way back.

But I will make a call to a few contacts while we are there to check what is caught nearer to home on Thursday.

That may alter our return plans but not by much.

We are getting keen now, but not on hearing a 4.30 alarm

Warning to Alfresco crew, do not expect conversation with Dan at that time in the morning, you may get a grunt if you are lucky tongue.giftongue.gif

Charlie

biggrin.gif

My thoughts to head slightly east on way out, west on the way back.

But I will make a call to a few contacts while we are there to check what is caught nearer to home on Thursday.

That may alter our return plans but not by much.

Was planning on straightish across stopping at a few on the way and then West (quite some distance west) on the way home.

Looking at the breezy Easterly forecast for coming home and that coinciding with flood tide I am not so sure that will be a good (comfortable) idea and may punch tide early doors to cut straight across it the last 25 miles or so.

I'll be asking how your phone call went once we are there if that is OK Charlie.

Think I know what you will be askling about...

Tom

I see they are all now giving a fair bit of wind on Sat and Sun. Not enough to stop me going, but plans may have to be fitted around it - I.e limited on Sat and an early start on Sun and back across to break the back of what looks like a ENE F4-5 sick.gif

Hi all

I am coming over with Craig what b&b is everyone staying at ? has anyone got any tel no"s or do I just need to call alderney angling.

Cheers all

Ben biggrin.gif

Ben,

Ive sent you a PM. If you want me B&B space for the 3 nights you are welcome as I'm thinking of staying onboard.

Let me know.

Adam