Angling Trust Meeting

Coddy

Just a reminder folks

This Thursday 21st Jan the Angling Trust Meeting being held at Parkstone Trades & Labour Club Ashley Road.

Start time 8pm

Mark Lloyd from the AT will be there to talk about what the AT can do with the anglers support

Dave

cool.gif

Edited by Coddy

The game of knocking someone who was prepared to stand up in front of strangers is business as usual for anglers.

In the end it isnt a question of what one man can do for us but what we can do by being united and having a voice at the table.

No amount of discourse on a forum will have any infuence over fisheries policy whereas this guy has already made representations on our behalf at European level over Article 47 and is in discourse with Defra over angling issues.

I doubt there are any of us would like to be in his position and considering that the whole world revolves around money I thought he was quite restrained over the issue. His point as far as I recall was that the Angling Trust needed to show government agencies that they represented a large number of anglers and the only way for this to happen was to have more membership.

To sit and wait for some miraculous heaven for anglers and then jump on board is cynical in the extreme and is likely to lead to us being left with the crumbs when it comes to getting any improvements in our sport.

Huge respect Peter ......but I don't think Zed was having a go at anyone.... just voicing some concerns about the bottomless pit that some of these "agencies " become without actually achieving benefit for the majority.....

I am not saying that this is not a worthwhile cause......far from it.!!! But as the Trust grows and the issues taken up demand more staff and more sophisticated representation at legal and political level, so the need for money to sustain takes precedence over the need to be accountable to the members regarding membership costs and money making methods.

I had a similar situation with the then British Field Sports Society....when it was "absorbed" into the Countryside Alliance.....along with several other trusts, societies and agencies. Membership has more than doubled from the original and very stable

I must say that I was impressed that Mark had travelled so far to address last nights meeting.

I had also hoped to hear a little more about stratagy for the AT's future campaigns, but was impressed that he seemed totally clued in and able to answer such a variety of off the cuff questions.

If we had more time I would have delved more in to why Tackle shops could be offered a per person discount, but Clubs could not.

I am sure if AT offered our club

Edited by great white

Maybe the AT should be run more like a business - the main aim to make money, helping anglers as a second.... not because we take 2nd place, but because what I took from last night is that they need money in order to fight.

If they had a commission based salesman whose job it was to sell membership, it wouldnt cost the AT any wages and surely it would be an easy sell? I was in the dark until last night, but Mark cant visit all anglers in the UK.

I've now joined - and watch in anticipation.

Maybe the AT should be run more like a business - the main aim to make money, helping anglers as a second.... not because we take 2nd place, but because what I took from last night is that they need money in order to fight.

If they had a commission based salesman whose job it was to sell membership, it wouldnt cost the AT any wages and surely it would be an easy sell? I was in the dark until last night, but Mark cant visit all anglers in the UK.

I've now joined - and watch in anticipation.

It's a shame, but I kind of agree.

The comment about the mail out to the tackle shops getting no takers was a prime example of where a rep knocking on the door and actually talking to the owner would have got a massively bigger response.

In fact, the rep only needs to visit one or two shops in each town and get their buy in. Others will soon follow when they realise the easy profit margin AND the fact they are doing the sport some good.

Then the same with the clubs (I can't see why the same deal couldn't be offered to the clubs either). A commission based rep visiting the clubs and doing exactly what Mark himself did last night, but including a presentation on what the AT will do for anglers and how the membership money will be sent.

Just my opinion.