Flatfish & Ray Specimen Comp

pirky

Otter may be out but only for an outside day conditions permitting. I'm not quite ready for the harbour yet I'm afraid............. particularly as Otter is well on form now biggrin.gif

What Trevor is trying to say is my longliner has shed its bl!!dy keel band. weep.gifweep.gifweep.gif Derek.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are to fish the comp as published IE a dual ray and flatty comp then IMHO it should be in weather that allows both to be fished for.

That means a call needs to be made on safety grounds.

That said I am sure that I will not be the only one that would appreciate some notice if it is to be changed to Sunday. For crew and bait reasons.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi Adam

Just playing devils advocate, can you submit 2 x fish, one a ray and one a flat fish?

Just a thought blink.gif

Booking in:

Lady Christine should out to play with Bill as crew, whether we catch any specimens is another matter! wink.gif

Dave

Edited by Coddy

Hi Adam

Just playing devils advocate, can you submit 2 x fish, one a ray and one a flat fish?

Just a thought blink.gif

Booking in:

Lady Christine should out to play with Bill as crew, whether we catch any specimens is another matter! wink.gif

Dave

Ummm......Yes, I guess so? There is a trophy for each - so why not. It is basically two comps in one.

The split between rays and flatties gives the smaller inshore boats a chance at winning.

in my case its a real no no to have indecision about which day the comps are on. if the arranged day is no good then I for one wont be rearranging to fish the next day. I'm pretty sure there would be less participation if it's switched from sat to sun. It also leads to loss of brownie points--only women are allowed to change their minds.

I agree Peter - too short a notice for a points transfer.

" Did I say Saturday darling?? no, no, no.... you must be mistaken!! You should know by now that all club comps are on a Sunday.... silly you!! Never mind" wink.gif

Sat is looking the better day, so unless it changes dramatically the comp will be on.

Just as a weather safety angle

At the time of writing wind is looking Westerly 8-10kts with a swell of approx 1mtr.

This should be ok for most craft BUT it is down to the skipper to make the final decision.

Poole harbour tide - LW 08.30, HW 12.00 & 18.00 so should be ok to recover for those using Baiter.

Dave

cool.gif

The latest NFSA Specimen Size list for Area D (can't find anything on the Angling Trust site), states that the specimen size for a flounder is 2lb 8oz, but a PBSBAC Record list that I have states the specimen size is 3lb. Which is correct, and which are we fishing to tomorrow?

I thought the club fished to NFSA/Angling Trust sizes.

The specimen size is indeed 2lb 8oz ( I think it was changed in the past from 3lb if I recall ).

The catch reports database on the website uses 2lb 8oz to calculate the percentage specimen size - so the new specimen percentages calculated by the website are correct ( as in to Area D - NFSA/Angling Trust )

When the current record holder flounder was caught the specimen size probably was 3lb and the % weight was as shown.

I guess this could be recalculated when a bigger fish is caught ? - but will leave Adam to decide its fate :0