Snow go!

Adam F

Well thats the first time Ive had 6" in the morning for a long time.... ph34r.gif

Up at 5am to drive to Bolton for a meeting - everything white here in Shaftesbury, a good 6" of snow - and struggled to get the car out of our small farm track. I gave up shortly after, with the news reporting a blanket across the UK and getting heavier, Im now sat here with the log burner glowing away - a day at home! cool.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Think of your folks, Tom. I had to take Dilys to school this morning and it's still snowing. Good oh! I've got the chains in the back of the Disco and will be going out to play when I collect Dilys.

Terry.

Couple of old duffers tucked up in front of the fire with a blanket over the top.

Tom

Oh no, that's Abbie and myself later tonight.

Worked a flight to Lyons now stuck here as Heathrow is shut. Could be here for a fews days...... Wish I had packed my telescopic rod as the river Rhone looks quite fishable. Oh well, in a 5 star hotel, BA paying, so I guess I am quite comfortable and I am getting paid to be here. Could be worse ways to pay the mortgage!!!! Roll on summer.

Well I'm stunned! I'm only 25 miles north in Shaftesbury and the following piccies show what it's been like ALL day here:

user posted image

View from my bedroom window looking South West

user posted image

The Garden

user posted image

user posted image

On a good day you can see for about 15 miles - today it's been about 15 feet!

The only cars travelling here today are 4x4's. Even the gritter got stuck up the road earlier! Snow has just got heavier in the last hour, so another log on the burner and a hearly lamb shank in the slow cooker for later.....

I've been up to London on the delayed 6.56 this morning. Approaching Woking they advised everyone to get off and go home, as trains weren't getting through, but as the train got close, it was only 10-12" deep on car roofs, and they said they could make it to Clapham.

At Clapham they said Waterloo was not achieveable, and they would try, and we got in just 40 minutes late. Then the underground was mainly closed, oh and no buses. There was no queue for the taxi rank...but no taxis either.

I eventually got a delayed/packed tube train in the wrong direction, changed twice more, then walked through about 5" of slush to the client office - only 30 mins late for my meeting.

Well, the client offices were empty - people not getting in, and after a couple of hours of the usual garbage, went back to my company offices - to find the place totally empty.

Decided to get the 1.05 out of Waterloo home, to beat the scramble and next wave of bad weather, and just over 4 hours later got home.

Well done those who bravely stayed home!

Mike

PS 170 redundancies announced, no names yet, so I was determined to get there!

Edited by Mike Fox

Alun,

Interesting picture. Go up Roeshot hill and get to Walkford and my side road is still completely covered in snow, along with the drive and garden.

Too dark to take a picture now, but like you say, a bit of altitiude ( and I guess distance from the sea ? ) makes all the difference.

Still going heavy here. Just went to take the car to Tesco but got about 20 yards. So walked to the garage instead - plenty of cars stuck and sliding all over the place.

I'm not exagerating - we have 8" in the lane and garden. In my 27 years Ive not seen snow this deep or heavy.

Meeting in Dartford cancelled for tomorrow! unsure.gif

Drove out early this morning - the first up and away from my road!

Loads of tossers creeping along in cars, frightened of driving more than 10mph - all fully togged up in hats, coats, gloves and scarves......some spotted drinking from flasks of tea/ coffee! - don't these people have heaters in their cars?

2 hours later got to Basingstoke... informed a couple of my staff - who tried it on, that if I can leave early and drive 60 plus miles to get there on time then God help them if they didn't arrive! from 2 or 3 miles away.

Left a bit early and got home in reasonable time.... roads clear - tossers still frightened of white lumps in the sky - creeping their way back home..

Bah humbug..................thank God it's once in 18 years.

Away even earlier tomorrow - to beat the rush / crawl

Neal

Neal - I have a heater in my car but always have a cuppa to hand on the way to work snow or shine!!

Took an hour to get to ferndown from bournemouth today - accident apparently on the A338. Oh well - got home in 14 mins so can't complain!!

Rob

Tis' true that the slightest bit of white tends to send the country into panic, but to be fair we are not used to it and not set-up to cope.

There is the other end of the scale - the guy who over took me as I skidded down the hill this morning - he was doing at least 50 on virgin snow.... twat. The local farmers have been busy all afternoon pulling people like him out of hedges and ditches.