Snow go!

Adam F

Best snow I've seen down here was Feb 1978........ blizzards swept up from the SW, after a cold [half term] week, 3 feet deep drifts on the cliff top road [where I was living] and school was closed for a week. I had friends who visited Cornwall and couldn't get back for a week. I remember rolling a snowball down the zigzag that ended up 5 foot wide on the prom and then became a small iceberg in the sea!

Only other decent, lasting snow was in the mid 80's when we had a few cold winters.

Not too many of us on here remember '62-'63........ now that was a horrid winter. It started Boxing Day and lasted months......into March or was it April; snow that filled the lanes above the tops of the hedges.

Give me mild winters any\every year !!

Alun.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been really surprising living out here for 18 months now how often we get snow being a bit higher (about 170 mtrs above sea level from memory on the satnav) This winter we've had the odd small flurry about 5/6 times. When you get sleat we get snow.

Still going outside - looks beautiful though - about 5pm everything turned a lovely shade of blue.

im sure the people driving along at ten miles an hour almost all made it to work safely the actual tossers driving alot faster probably got to where they were going more by luck than judgement. and im sure the caring way some people describe their staff should hopefully ensure a high turnover of them.i didnt think this site was like that or have i got the wrong end of the stick apologies if i have

Oysterboat i agree with you.I saw many cars in the hedge,fields etc and all through driving too fast.Was even overtaken by one that subsequently went hedgewards,tosser?,absolutely.Dont particularly want my staff driving my vehicles in these conditions,a recipe for disaster.What next?will we be tossers for not going out in a force 7 south westerly?definitely if we take a flask it would seem.

Apologies........

My comments were meant to be rather tongue in cheek - even if they did not come across that way.

On most rural roads and even the minor urban roads the conditions are / were absolutely lethal. Compared to the main motoways.

It would be better for more people to be allowed to stay at home in such conditions.

Neal

I think we all agree!

I live in the road opposite the PBSBAC meeting venue and it's not in the middle of nowhere but also it's not a gritted road (not a bus route) and yesterday morning it was like an ice rink. Some people driving like it was a summer's day, some people Driving Miss Daisy.. between here and Sylvan school (about half a mile) there were 3 car crashes. I wonder which style of motorist? And this is in the middle of town.

I couldn't get my car off the drive (steep slope)- nice couple of mm of fluffy white stuff... with sheet ice underneath it.

Enviro-friendly Pajero was fine getting up the road though. biggrin.gif

Still quite a bit of snow left yesterday afternoon by the time the freeze came back, along with more snow. This morning? Twice as slippery- strangely no summer drivers- I expect they are mostly in the bodyshop...

In snowy countries the first day of snow causes chaos. Then they bring out their multi-million pound snow machines, fit snow tyres... and still have accidents I expect. Airports in those countries have heated runways to avoid Heathrow-itis.

We don't, for a similar reason that our houses and workplaces aren't all air conditioned, i.e it simply wouldn't be worth the expense. Instead we suffer for a couple of days a year.

Once again the media goes into overdrive. The country isn't paralysed by snow, it's paralysed by the roads blocked with sideways and upside down cars/lorries, and all the police who could be doing something useful are having to clear up the mess.

The main roads may be fine, but you have to get to them on some very dangerous minor routes. I'm sure the Police etc would rather not have had to deal with the ten-fold increase in accidents that they had yesterday. The advice is- Slow down, or unless it's really neccesary, don't bother- for a reason.

People staying off work because they don't fell safe driving- good move.

People staying off work because they have kids to look after- as they should. This country will soon have to catch up with the rest of the developed world. And who doesn't like playing in the snow with their kids?

It's a shame people have to make excuses, rather than stay safe/be parents and make up the time later.

I guess I'm a lefty, liberal tree-hugging tosser- even in the Pajero! laugh.gif

Well, we went to the airport in Lyons, got food 'n water & passengers & took off on time, then landed early, arriving 10 mins ahead of schedule into Terminal 5. Clear roads on the drive down the M4 to Wokingham. What's all the fuss been about I wonder???? Good to be back in Blighty though & not watching Sky TV to find out how you have all been coping. Roll on Spring!!!!

Well, attempted to get to work this morning and the A35 through the forest was a complete nightmare. Decided to turn back once I then heard the A27 had been closed and the snow was falling again.

-3 deg and the road was a complete skating rink.

Why is it some people still insist on driving right up you backside in such conditions ?

Got to Homsley and found that the TNT lorry further in fornt could not get up the hill. After 1 hour turned around and tried to take a back road - decided this was a bad move having seen 2 cars in the ditch, so turned back and waited at end of queue for the snow to thaw.

Back home by 11AM. ( Thats 3 1/2 hrs of skating around the forest )

Fortunately my employers are more considerate than some others biggrin.gif

Took no chances and rode bicycle to work yesterday, walked in today, leaving my 4 x 4 gas guzzling behemoth parked on drive as usual. Glad I did as 3 people in the office had minor body work adjustments to their vehicles driving in. On a brighter note, hiding under the hedgerow a small cluster of snowdrops was trying to push up through the snow.

Gordon H

Its been on and off here all day - sunny around lunchtime, and starting to melt around 3pm - then around 4pm it went dark and grey and we've had torrential snow for the last couple of hours - took a cautious drive to Tesco (about 1 mile away) and never seen it so quiet - about 10 cars in the CP!

Have a meeting in central london at 9am so hoping I can get out in the morning!

Yet more again today - snowed in again.

Got home at 11pm from club meeting last night and it was -2C but not snowing just sleety drizzle - but by 4am this morning it was snowing heavily. I left at 6am to go to Warwick, but got about 1/2 mile before the police turned me around as the A350 from Shaftesbury to A303 was closed due to white out conditions.

So another day snowed in at home and all meetings cancelled. Still snowing heavily here.

I checked the satnav on the way home last night and Shaftesbury is 238 mtrs above sea level - kind of explains the diff. between here and Poole.

Even the chickens hate it!!

user posted image

Had to abandon the car this afternoon - both Rach and I have been at home 4 days this week so were keen to get out of the house, so went up the pub for lunch - Friday treat.... getting there was a bit slippery, but OK, but in the hour we were there it came down even harder - car was well stuck, even digging it out wouldnt help.... had to leave it and walk home in a blizzard!

Snowed all day again here - the snow on our lawn is deeper than a welly boot! ohmy.gif