"AWOL" engine problems

Maverick Martin

Most of you would have heard of the engine issues we have suffered over the past two years. Last straw was when fishing over the IOW when the engine struggled to start. When it finally did it went from tick over to full revs of its own accord in a matter of seconds. Also spat out a load of unburnt fuel along with some thick brown/black smoke weep.gif Tony on Serenity kindly towed us back to Poole (cheers mate)

I had at this point had enough of the engine and of the engineer who had failed to carry out some agreed works and wasn

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great news Martin.

I was only reading through some old posts last night and found my similar post to yours above when I had the problems with OOTB and PMS sorted that.

Glad to hear she will get sorted and hopefully in time for Alderney!

Edited by Adam F

Great News Martin

I am very pleased that James and the Guys at mermaid are sorting it out for you.

I purchased my engine from James and have had good service from him and all at Salterns/PMS. The extra's that were discussed/promised on purchase [although not written down] were all forthcoming.

James even delivered the engine to my house personally on a trailer.

As Tom says both Matt and James are top guys and have always supported Members of our Club and our open comps.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Martin,

Are you prepared to name the engineer who won't return your calls? Name'n'shame!!

Rob

Not yet as in the past he has been helpfull. It maybe he has issues of his own so although not returning calls is frustrating he may have his reasons.

My view may change however and if it does the club will be the first to know

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
Its possibly a nightmare job for the engineer too. It sounds like its a fuel control problem and without special tools, its probably not easy to figure out exactly what is going on in there.....

The shame of it is you have to take the engine out at and send it half way round the world at great expense.

Not really Patrick as the engineer is a Steyr trained technician and the uk importers are based in Ferndown so not to far away.

Anyway as a general update Poole Marine Service removed the outdrive this week and the engine is coming out next week so I feel we are making progress at last.

Martin

"so I feel we are making progress at last."

I hope so Martin

I know the guys you are now dealing with and feel sure that you are in the best hands now.

I hope that once the engine gets to Ferndown, not only can they repair it to the standard you require, but they can also give you an increased confidence in it for the future.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Good luck Martin,

Take a little comfort in that you are among friend in this department - us included.

Surprising though how bright the sunshine and how nice the sea smells when you emerge from the dark side.

rolleyes.gif

• 2 months later...

Further update:

3 injectors were replaced but made no difference to the power being produced or indeed the smoke issue. Mermaid then decided to renew all the injectors and bingo full power but...........still white smoke on start up and worse still blue smoke when the engine is warm mad.gif So to sum up 3 months of heartache just to be told the engine is scrap metal material. Mermaid has offered to remove all the new items fitted for use elsewhere and write off the time they spent on it. They will also supply a new unit at a lower then normal price (still not cheap though) The other minor problem is a delivery time unsure.gif of two weeks although they did say it could be fitted the day after receipt.

Due to me being unsure of my feelings towards the Steyr unit I am now also getting prices for other breeds of engine with Yanmar and Volvo being in the frame

So it would appear that my first instinct to plant the thing in a field somewhere was the correct assumption to have had all along. Why it took three bl***y months to get to this point is totally beyond me but hey I am not a marine engineer.

I am now going to have a stiff drink or two so if I play up at the DD you will know why tongue.gif

Martin