Merry Fisher 585

TomBettle

Tom

many thanks for hosting the dry run today !

It was great to be able to rummage over the two boats literally from stem to stern without any time pressure - and you looked after us (Terry and I) very well, and I think answered all my questions.

I've got a problem with the planned date, as I'm meant to be doing rescue RIB duty at the local club, even though I'd rather be checking out the 585. if I can change it I will.

I think you ought to offer up the chance for any PBSBAC member to play 'hunt the battery' as the new monthly competition laugh.giflaugh.gif

Once again thanks for all the time you gave us, and fingers crossed for more settled weather next weekend.

Paul rolleyes.gif

I've got a problem with the planned date, as I'm meant to be doing rescue RIB duty at the local club, even though I'd rather be checking out the 585. if I can change it I will.

Tom, me too I am afraid. sad.gif

I have to go into The Harbour Hospital Poole for a very urgent operation on Tuesday next, and I only found out today after seeing the consultant. sad.gif

So may I offer the same sentiment as Paul and give up my place to another club member.

All being well (I hope) I should still like to have a look at the boat after the new year. smile.gif

Mad Mike

Sorry to hear that, Mike, I was looking forward to meeting you at last. Best of luck with the op, of course; recuperate quickly and get back amongst us.

Similarly to Paul, thanks to Tom for giving up his valuable time (how he ignored the queues of people, I don't know). It was a good opportunity to have a nose around the new 585 and, as a bonus, the 625. I will resist the temptation to make any comments now and will save myself 'till after the sea demo next Saturday. Having had a dry viewing, I'm really looking forward to seeing what the 585 can do.

Terry.

Tom

Its confirmed sadly, I can't do the boat test on the Saturday, much as I would have liked... So please offer my place to any others who could do it justice. As a consolation, I dont mind giving you my dry land comments, being that they are liable to being a tad superficial!

Off to work tomorrow, to earn you a deposit... blink.gif

Regards

Paul

Due to cancellations there are two places to come and sea trial the 585 on Saturday (subject to weather) with Sea Angler magazine's Dave Lewis.

Ideally you will have a wish to trade up (or across) sometime in the nearish future and you are looking at the alternative boats on the market.

You will actually be helping to compile this boat review for the magazine so a little preparation is needed.

In essence:

The 585 is a Pilot House style boat. Jeanneau are one of the bigger (and better in my opinion) builders of this style.

Many other builders try and give as much space to fishing as possible.

Jeanneau tend to focus more on onboard comfort than trying to balance as many people onboard as possible. The 585 has cruiser comfort, with a deck space that is plenty for two to fish, three if you are sensible with your gear.

The boat you will be testing has a 70Hp engine. She is rated to take up to 90Hp.

Please say if you fancy coming along to take part.

Please ask any questions you wish and I will try and let you ave the details before Saturday.

Tom

Current weather predictions look "OK" for tomorrow with the wind dropping down to a 3 N or W by around dawn. Any rain should clear about the same time leaving a reasonable day for our little trial.

So Adam, Terry and Max please arrive around 10 for a slurp of coffee and the off.

If you can, bring your own lifejackets. I have plenty here, but they aren't great.

There is still space for one more person should anyone wish to come and try a Pilot House at the smaller end.

Still very trailerable, but as I have just found out pretty good in a sea too.

I launched her an hour or so ago and due to a flat battery (someone had left the isolator on) I simply had to take her for a spin cool.gif to charge her up.

Light (just me) and a full tank of juice I headed out into the harbour into a SxSSW 5 to 6 that was throwing up a snotty little chop. Nothing dangerous, just uncomfortable.

Predictably, into the sea she did need a little backing off, but would still run with nothing more than a bump here and there and close to full throttle. A little fiddling with the trim on the outboard produced a smoother ride, but she liked to be kept "flat" when going into the sea rather than trimmed right in which produced the mearest hint of the nose digging in at high speed.

It was particularly choppy out between Brownsea Castle and the chain ferry and I used this to see how she would drift. Not bad, it was a very short chop which did throw the boat around a bit, but you never felt unsafe.

Flicking the wheel to hard lock and then nailing the throttle saw her shoot around in very tight circles at a truly impressive speed. It wasn't until the fourth or fifth full circle and we caught up with our own bubble trial that I started getting any noticeable cavitation.

Full speed back from the ferry to the castle and with the chop on the port beam she behaved remarkably well. As with any boat she heeled slightly towards the wind, but this was to be expected and was of no concern.

Up until this point, she had remained bone dry topsides, but I had been getting carried away and hadn't noticed the heavy wash coming from two 60 plus foot gin palaces which made the sea akin to a tide race with waves in all directions. The first I hit at full throttle and did get the first and only proper slam sending a cloud of white water over the entire boat, but bringing her down to displacement speed saw her go back to her dry state by the second wave.

Heading back up the harbour towards Salterns I set her on a straight course and nipped out (very bad seamanship this, don't do it at home) to get the lines and fenders ready. The small keel on the hull clearly works as she remained straight and true when most planing hulls would have been "swan necking" their way up the harbour.

In the marina she was easy to maneuvour and very predicatable.

She's now tied up and hosed off waiting for the true test tomorrow.

Performance whilst light with a full tank of fuel and using the standard Suzuki 70Hp 4s (hull will take up to 100Hp):

4,000RPM 12knots

4,500RPM 15.5knots

5,000RPM 18Knots

6200RPM (WOT) 25.2knots

The above figures were taken on a handheld GPS and are approximate averages of the top speeds attained in either direction (into and against the conditions).

Seastate was officially slight to moderate, but this was made uncomfortable by the steep short chop created by the stiff breeze.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Well there you go. That is the salemans review! rolleyes.gif

I am now looking forward to hearing from the people that count, possible customers! biggrin.gif

Tom

PS: ph34r.gif don't tell a sole, but there is a little rumour that slightly beyond drawing board stage are the plans for a "Marlin" version of the 585. Simply put, this will be a pure fishing version with far more cockpit and deep walk around side decks, still with the comfort of a proper wheelhouse.

....Like I said, this is just a rumour ph34r.gif

A huge thanks to Terry, Adam and Max for taking the time to come down today to look over the 585 (and other boats).

I hope you enjoyed taking part in producing the feature and, of course, meeting Dave Lewis and chatting to him about the differences between brands and styles.

Dave doesn't bullsh1t or pull punches so anything he talked to you about will prove to be spot on and any points you raised with him will definitely be taken onboard.

Thanks to you all

Tom

I'd just like to express my thanx for being included in the day, it proved to be fun and informative. It was also good to be able to knock someone elses boat about; thanks for trusting it to my amateur hands, Tom. I will contribute my musings on the 585 (geat little boat) but it will have to wait until the New Year as I am now flat out getting ready to leave for the drive down to Austria.

Terry.

A few pics in low res (not great quality) taken by various people using my camera.

I hope they help tell the story of what we got up to.

The day started in thick fog and Dave was running late after the drive down from South Wales...

In the mist and damp I started showing the guys over the boat...

...And then Adam took over!

From left to right:

Max (Boyscott)

Myself (TomBettle)

Terry (Plaicemat)

Adam (Adam F) doing the sales pitch.

post-6-1166546333jpg

Edited by TomBettle

Terry crosses the wake of the camera boat at high speed as we head back towards the chain ferry.

The bow has a partial "gull wing" which helps soften the ride and get the 585 planing quickly and easily, three-up with just a 70Hp engine.

This gull wing can be seen fairly clearly as Terry takes off over the wave.

post-6-1166546843jpg

Edited by TomBettle

Thanks Tom (and crew) for an enjoyable morning. I am looking at slightly larger than the 585, but wanted to go along and compare it to the other similar boats I have been on - I admit to being a pilothouse sceptic...

First impressions - great looking boat, alternative to competitors, but nice lines. Some good features - tones of storage, plenty of room to sleep, and well finished.

A few things were lacking IMO - midship cleats, a split anchor box lid, a cast and longer bow roller, taller handrails in the cock pit and a rear rail - this said, all aftermarket additions...

Negatives - helm seat needed a higher back for long cruises and the fishing space was 'cozy' for 2 anglers - three was a no, no...and for me and all the cr@p I carry it would have been a tight squeeze.

To conclude before we left the marina, I was under the impression that this boat would suit someone who still wanted to trail, have the occasional overnight and wasnt too serious an angler.

Leaving the marina for the harbour, noise underway was quiet and with three aboard and all on the starboard side, the boat canted minimally - less than the warrior - a surprise to me...

Giving the engine a little throttle, the superb 70hp Suzi performed well on such a larger boat (for the engine) and whilst I felt it was working hard (4500 - 6000 rpm) it coped OK.

Running through the small overfalls on Old Harry was the real test and I felt it handled as well as my 165, it was also a very dry boat. OK, it banged and slammed a little, but what 18' boat doesnt when driven at 15+ knots into waves (bar a rib)...

To conclude I was more impressed that I thought I would be. 10X better than other comparible pilothouses, and I was somewhat dissapointed to tell Tom this!!

The boat isnt for me - only due to too small a fishing space, but bar this a cracking little boat.

Adam

thats a very lovely looking boat i bet its nice to drive biggrin.gif looks comfy aswell

sam

It is a lovely looking boat Sam. I think all agreed this on the day.

Adam's report kind of sums things up brilliantly.

The boat is fine for two to fish, three would be a squeeze unless you were frugal with gear.

As Adam said, it will br great fro someone who wants to trail, but still have the odd "comfy" overnight.

It does exactly what I claim, in that it makes a great little fisher for two, but will also keep the family happy if you go for the odd cruise.

Sea keeping wise, I think all were surprised at how good it was and for the boat's weight, the little Suzuki 70Hp was exceptional still popping her on to the plane very quickly with three big blokes onboard.

The worst she had to face was the snotty little race at Old Harry. It was here that Dave decided to take the action shots so there was no comfy "on and off the throttle" driving to improve the ride. As Adam explained it was 15 to 20 knots through the middle of it whilst trying to get the camera angle right rather than read the waves.

The Merry Fisher 585 will reside with me in Poole for some time, albeit she will go back onto her trailer, so anyone who may be interested please feel free to come and have a look around.

Tom

Tom

I think Sam was probably hinting that he would like a drive but did not want to ask directly. he is not usually shy laugh.gif

Perhaps he is still waiting for another trip on quest after distributing your brochures in the summer. wink.gif

I am sure you would rather take potential customers, but if you are short of crew try Sam or Dan they finish at school today.

Charlie biggrin.gif