Merry Fisher 585

TomBettle

Admin

Sorry for the blatant plug, but a number of members have been asking when the boat will be here.

The Merry Fisher 585 has arrived and is currently ashore at my offices in Salterns.

I am still finding my way around the nooks and crannies, but on face value it does seem to be everything it promised.

Dates still to be arranged, but she is to be launched for just a few days to allow Sea Angler magazine time to come and carry out a boat test. Within reason, any members will be welcome to have a short sea trial during the period we have her in the water. The sea trials will be without obligation.

The boat we have here is with the standard 70Hp Suzuk which wuill give an anticpated mid 20 knot performance. The boat will take up to 100Hp and with a Suzuki 90Hp we guess she will do +/- 30knots.

As a passing thought, we will be needing a camera boat for the Sea Angler review so if anyone is free and fancies meeting Dave Lewis then I would be very grateful if your boat was available. I will cover the cost of fuel during the boat test.

Cheers

Tom

Please let me know when it's available for viewing/demo, Tom.

Terry.

Viewing anytime at all, although we will probably discover as much out about it together as I am still to have more than a cursery open of hatches and look under a cushion myself.

Demo.... She'll go in the water for just a few days maximum and I will give you as much notice as I can. Whilst she is in, you will be more than welcome to come out for a fairly short run.

Edited by TomBettle

OK Fellas

1st 2 to PM gets it. I am also going to invite 2 from WSF.

Dates:

Tuesday 5th (confirm Monday am)

or

Friday 8th

Time 10:00am Salterns Marina

Idea.

You do Sea Angler's boat review!

That is pretty much it.

Anyone can come for a trial, but the first three will work directly with Dave Lewis to produce a review for a forthecoming issue of Sea Angler magazine. The idea is a more in depth version of the Roger Bayzand rod and reel tests.

Ideally you will have a cuddy style boat or no boat at present and be considering changing to one of the several brands of Pilot House in the 18 foot bracket.

You will have some knowledge of the pros and cons of a pilot house and be familiar with one or two other brands.

You will need to have some basic boating ability and you MUST wear a lifejacket.

I am not going to pay anyone to say nice things and "constructive" crticism is fine.

Along the lines of, "I liked this oojamaflip, but I would have preferred a widget here".

I would prefer it if those who take part are true potential buyers. At least that way I get the possibility of a sale too! Even if I don't get the sale, I will at least get your feedback as to why you bought something else.

Hope that all makes sense.

Please PM if you fit the above and want to take part.

Tom

Tom

You have a PM - hope the weather isnt as forecast at the mo on tuesday, also I've got to be at Heathrow in the afternoon... when will you know ?

Paul

OK Guys

So far the weather is looking like the review will be pushed to Friday 8th and I will try and push Dave Lewis for that.

We simply wouldn't go if it was remotely dangerous on Tuesday anyway.

I now have three names from PBSBAC for Friday.

It should be fun and hopefully informative and just a bit different from the everyday Boat Test the magazines normally run.

One guy has been toying with the idea of a change for as long as I have known him, but I don't think he ever really considered Jeanneau's until I started brow beating him about them. The difficulty he has is that he has a top boat at the moment which is easy to handle "solo".... ....but then a little extra comfort and maybe more range would be nice.

The second, has fished onboard a bigger Jeanneau before and is familiar with the style and build. The 585, I believe, will be a step up from his current boat, but also gets credit from the FPO as more than just a smelly old fisher.

The other guy actually approached me a few months ago enquiring about the new 585 and although I was wrapped up with someone else I spotted him routing around a different Jeanneau at the Southampton Boat Show.

As a salesman I know he is keen, but is the 585 big enough for him?

Should he go larger, maybe our 625 or is it simply that he needs a different layout?

Tom

PS: I don't know if any of the above made sense, but I want to get across what I hope the feature will come across like (depends how much space Sea Dangler give it). I know I have my three boat testers, but please put your names down as possible reserves. People drop out or I may not get someone from WSF.

Edited by TomBettle

We now have our fourth man all of whom can only come Friday so I hope that Dave got my message over the weekend to come on Friday!!!

I originally wanted a team from PBSBAC and a team from WSF. WSF are the ones that cry on about a change to the magazine format, but when I invited them to take part they all went very quiet

We have a motley crew of would be "customers".

Adam F:

For some reason I am nervous about letting Adam loose on one of my boats...? No reason for this paranoia at all as I know he can handle a boat well, understands the water and has some knowledge of the brand and style.

Plaicemat:

Now Terry is someone I am interested to see test the boat. He has been showing just a little more than a passing interest in the new model since we first discussed it earlier in the Summer.

....mind you, I am still nervous about him being let loose with it.

Sinbad:

Paul, I am fairly sure, will be positive and enthusiastic about the boat, but there is just a little something that makes me nervous about him too.

Afishionado:

Oh my god! What have I done!? Mike is coming to have a go too.

Mike has all but made his mind up on a different brand, not to mention he is commonly known as something of a loony! (only joking Mike, maybe just mildly eccentric).

OK, under normal circumstances, any one of these guys would be very welcome to come and have a go on one of my boats and then let me know what they thought afterwards. Feedback from a potential customer is always very useful, but now I am cr@pping myself as they will be giving their feedback directly to one of the UK's best known boat angling journalists!

sick.gif

Subject to the weather being at least "safe", we are booked for Friday 8th for a 10:00am start at Salterns.

Anyone else who wants to view the boat will be more than welcome, but we will be a bit busy on the water to fit anymore on for tests.

If we have to cancel due to dangerous conditions we will do our best to have an alternative date that suits all.

Tom

Tom

I shouldn't worry about anything thats said - most of the boat reviews are a tad superficial at best, or am I being too cynical. After all, your average bloke buying the mag, just likes looking at the pictures . All we need are a few blonds lined up for the camera shots...

BTW I've just asked Marian if she fancied a boat trip, I dont know whether it was me telling her to wear a short skirt or all the tiles on our roof about to go into orbit that put her off. was worth a try...

See you Friday sick.gifsick.gif

Paul

Tom

All we need are a few blonds lined up for the camera shots...

Paul

That screws us lot up for the review then!!!!

Terry in a thong

Paul in suspenders

Adam in a miniskirt

Mike in a negligey

sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

I have to say Paul, you are being a little cynical about Dave's reviews. I have done qute a few with him now and, in someways, unfortunately, he does truly like the boats. So it always seems like we have paid him a few quid to say nice things.

The truth is, everything he writes is usually exactly what we have discussed and chatted about during the review.

This is one of the main reasons for asking you guys to join in.

Some of you will like it, but it won't tick the boxes for you, some of you will hate it and I hope that some of you truly fall for it.

See you Friday!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Hope you can get out on the water on Friday... and good luck with the reviewers! I'am sure they'll all behave biggrin.gif

I'll be looking forward to hearing their thoughts about the 585 (will they be allowed to divulge them on the forum or will they be bound to secrecy until the article appears??) as having a 580 myself it should make for an interesting comparison.

I would've liked to have seen the boat Friday... but work forbids this mad.gif

Anyways hope you have a good day on the water.

Cheers

Charlie H.

Hi Tom,

Hope you can get out on the water on Friday... and good luck with the reviewers! I'am sure they'll all behave biggrin.gif

I'll be looking forward to hearing their thoughts about the 585 (will they be allowed to divulge them on the forum or will they be bound to secrecy until the article appears??) as having a 580 myself it should make for an interesting comparison.

I would've liked to have seen the boat Friday... but work forbids this mad.gif

Anyways hope you have a good day on the water.

Cheers

Charlie H.

Hi Charlie, how are you?

Good to see you on here. Are you enjoying the boat?

All the best

Tom

OK

An executive decision (Dave doesn't want to get his camera's wet).

The trial has been postponed from the 8th due to the impending cr@p weather forecast.

It has been rearranged to Saturday 16th. All other details remain the same.

Adam, Paul, Terry, Mike:

I hope you can all make the revised date as we are looking forward to doing it. As before, anyone else will be welcome down to see the boat, but sea trials will be limited to these guys.

Guys, please change your diaries accordingly. Any problems at all please let me know ASAP so that I can make alternative plans.

Cheers

Tom

You forget, I can fish anytime the weather plays ball. It's not like I'm restricted to school holidays or something! wink.gif I am, however, interested in this boat and it seems a good opportunity to get a breadth of opinions.

Shame, though. I was thinking of coming down Thursday, doing the club meeting and then Friday boating; two birds with one stone. Much as I'd like to see everyone, the meeting isn't worth the B&B!

Terry.