I've joined!

Pete

Greetings!

I attended last nights meeting in Poole and joined the club.

New to using a boat on the sea (2022 Highfield CL460) and new to fishing I am looking forward to exploring the coast and learning loads. I also passed the VHF and powerboat course last year. During the winter I installed a Garmin Echomap SV75, NMEA 2000 network through to the Honda outboard. A chirp transducer is on the way soon hopefully.

Perhaps I need a local Honda outboard (BF50) service agent. Perhaps a mobile engineer. I am keen to keep running costs down and hope to service the outboard myself, while keeping the warranty going. The Rib was bought miles away in York. That was a fun trip towing it back here!

Ta,

Pete.

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Greetings!

I attended last nights meeting in Poole and joined the club.

New to using a boat on the sea (2022 Highfield CL460) and new to fishing I am looking forward to exploring the coast and learning loads. I also passed the VHF and powerboat course last year. During the winter I installed a Garmin Echomap SV75, NMEA 2000 network through to the Honda outboard. A chirp transducer is on the way soon hopefully.

Perhaps I need a local Honda outboard (BF50) service agent. Perhaps a mobile engineer. I am keen to keep running costs down and hope to service the outboard myself, while keeping the warranty going. The Rib was bought miles away in York. That was a fun trip towing it back here!

Ta,

Pete.

Hi Pete we did not get a chance to speak, I was on the end of the line on the stage, Mal. As your safety officer in the club feel free to ask away. We use vhf channel 6 and 65 NCI for radio checks and reports on weather and tides etc.

Our most dangerous past time except staying on board is anchoring and there is a lot to it when doing it safely. Beware. Tripping the anchor the fishermans way with cable ties is very important when near rough ground. I would suggest your first few times will be best done over clean sand before you anchor rocky ground. Please post and ask questions don't guess when you have a wealth of knowledge to tap into. cheers and go make some very happy memories. BTW always stay with the boat and wear your Lifejacket.

Welcome to the club Pete. 

I have updated your forum status to that of club member so you now have access to all areas,

The club section has even more information than the visitors areas so tuck in and enjoy your learning curve with help from us

Martin (Vice chair and forum mod)

18 hours ago, Jim said:

Welcome to the club Pete.

I'd never heard of a Highfield CL460 so googled it.

See below.

Jim

1120104703_HighfieldCL460.jpeg.57248a7eaf0bedb3bda901f41c8dea62.jpeg

That's my rib. I did try and post a pic of it. Let's have another go..

Cool it worked this time. Very happy with the boat. Have done about 45 hours on it so far.

IMG_20220429_151312569.jpg

18 hours ago, Mal Thomas said:

Hi Pete we did not get a chance to speak, I was on the end of the line on the stage, Mal. As your safety officer in the club feel free to ask away. We use vhf channel 6 and 65 NCI for radio checks and reports on weather and tides etc.

Our most dangerous past time except staying on board is anchoring and there is a lot to it when doing it safely. Beware. Tripping the anchor the fishermans way with cable ties is very important when near rough ground. I would suggest your first few times will be best done over clean sand before you anchor rocky ground. Please post and ask questions don't guess when you have a wealth of knowledge to tap into. cheers and go make some very happy memories. BTW always stay with the boat and wear your Lifejacket.

Great advice about the anchor. Have only used it in sand but with do the thing with the cable tie from now on.

Hi Pete. I had a BF50 the same as yours. Lovely engine but . . . . . Never ever run the engine without water in the cooling system. The impeller is in a plastic housing and heating it enough to distort it and cost you a lot of dosh is almost instant.

I started mine in a tub of water and my phone rang. A couple of seconds later I checked and nothing coming through the tell tale. Too late! !   Almost instantly bu**ered 😪

Jim