A short introduction from your new Conservation Officer.

Hi all,

As recently appointed ( no other Nominations ) Club Conservation and Liason Officer, I would briefly like to introduce myself.

My name is Allan Green, my Web Name is Fisheagle and originally enough my boat's name is also Fisheagle and based at Cobbs. I am keen on all types of fishing, but as I get older, I am doing more and more boat fishing.

In these turbulent times, Conservation of fish stocks and working with others in the fishing fraternity to ensure sustainability will help maintain and hopefully, improve our sport.

I will attend the period PDSA ( Poole And District Sea Angling Association ) which represents around 18 local Fishing Club's and report back from these Meetings which are also attended by the local Fisheries Officers from SIFCA ( Southern Inshore Fisheries Conservation Authority ).  Details of these Meeting are published on the Club Website and they are open to all Members.

I also hope to get an invite to join the RAGS Group which represents local Recreational and Commercial interest including Charters. So, if it is local or larger scale issues, I will try and keep Members updated and express Mebers and the Club's views as appropriate.

Allan.

I have a conservation question for you Allan.

At a club meeting prior to Christmas of last year, (in the absence of our conservation officer) our Chairman Tony stood up and warned members not to take below legal weight limit fish to use for live bait for catching larger fish.

So, Can you confirm this is still the case? or, did I mis-understand Tony's statement? 

Greg

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for your question. Things changed a bit after we left the EU, but my understanding is that there are certain species that do not have a minimum size limit for retention. However, I will double check, especially with regards to Mackeral and Pollack which , I believe have minimum sizes since 2021.

Hi again Greg. The issue will be raised by Chris Holloway on your behalf and that of others towards the end of the month at the RAGS Group. There is a move to see if we can get an exemption for recreational anglers to take a few of certain species for livebait. Meanwhile, follow Tony's advice and stick to published SIFCA size limits.

Allan

Hi Greg

I can confirm that currently it is illegal to take, keep or use as live bait undersize fish of whatever species

Using commercially purchased bait be it frozen or fresh is not illegal

So if you want to use joeys or other small baits, you have to buy them if you can find them.

I would suggest that you keep receipts and wrappings when out fishing in case you are inspected to prove what you are using which will save a lot of hassle 

Dave

3 hours ago, Greg said:

Lures it is then !!!!!

20cm is not a bad sized bass live bait, it just cuts down the number one can keep. I wonder if we're allowed to keep them in the tank until they recover from the trauma of being caught?

Terry.

6 hours ago, plaicemat said:

20cm is not a bad sized bass live bait, it just cuts down the number one can keep. I wonder if we're allowed to keep them in the tank until they recover from the trauma of being caught?

Terry.

Only if they are over minimum size otherwise they should be released asap after capture

Not aware of any but could be worth checking with with Sarah B at SIFCA. I spoke with her this morning and she indicated that Size Limit Bylaws are currently under review.

She has just supplied me with the latest list which now contains more Wrasse. I will post this shortly and bring some copies to the next meeting. These could well change again further down the line. I said  that many Anglers worked to Angling Trust Size Limits as published in the graph version of the Poole ( Town Quay ) 2022 Tide Planner.

The fact that SIFCA seems to publishing something that is slightly different seems to be adding to confusion. I also pointed out that the Roll up sticky ruler type Chart that SIFCA publish also needs changing. This will be removed from the PDSA Notice Board on Poole Quay by SIFCA this afternoon and the latest list will be added.

The latest 2022 Wheel House Card, which I will post in the Club Conservation Section, refers to local Bylaws that limit the use of Sand Eels at certain times in different parts of the Southern IFCA Area including Poole Harbour.

Allan.