Saturday trip

billy2shots

Looking at fishing Saturday (9am-2.30) and trying to decide where to head. Obviously cod is a target but know they are not exactly jumping on the hook so a mark with potential to keep the rod bent is needed. I wouldn't mind breaking my Conger duck either.

Looking at the charts I like the look of Sadler, west Dolphin Bank and just east of Pevril Ledge.

Does anyone know how these areas are fishing?

Sadler would be a good choice for a short day, expect whiting maybe conger and very possibly cod. I would give the Peveril Ledge area a miss but nearer to home the spoil grounds might be worth a try. Dolphin Bank is ok for whiting and cod

Thanks for the pointers. Where is the spoil ground? I presume it's somewhere south east of old Harry?

We were out just outside the dolphin bank today (a few banks and gullies are easy to find where the water gets deeper) only a little bit further than sadler. In fact from the east loue buoy we passed right past it

We had plenty of fish all day including dogs whiting two species of ray and lots of congers.

Well worth a try

We were out just outside the dolphin bank today (a few banks and gullies are easy to find where the water gets deeper) only a little bit further than sadler. In fact from the east loue buoy we passed right past it

We had plenty of fish all day including dogs whiting two species of ray and lots of congers.

Well worth a try

You can't beat that for red hot up to the minute info  :)

Thanks for the info.

I ask made a mistake. Give the time constraint (need to be back in at 15.30) I should have sand Dolphin Sands as an option rather than Bank.

I do like the look of a few variations in depth between Sandler and Dolphin Sands so think that will be my target.

I went out about 10 in the pea soup and anchored near the Clan wreck, whiting until tide slackened then when tide picked up congerfest.After 6 or so I thought I'd move but my anchor chain had other ideas so after 10 minutes of trying various methods with my Alderney bouy I decided it wasn't worth sinking my boat so I cut and run.

After a couple of miles heading in I was greeted by no fog and glorious sunshine and home by 2cbb5002e9174ccb8a28d77d03b16ad54.jpg

The trip out and the last I saw of that anchor

Back home after a lovely half days fishing. We (family crew) cast off at 9.10am and we were fishing by 10.30. We packed up at 13.30 making it a short session.

Decided to fish Sadler for the first time. It's only the 3rd different spot I have fished out of my 7 or so trips out so far. If I'm being honest I was a little reluctant because I have a nice little Ray spot close in the produces the goods every time.

The decision to go out further was rewarded in my first or should I say kids first Whitting. 10 of them in fact! 8 fell between 0.5lb-1.5lb but two of them were 3lb plus. I will try and post a pic if I can work out how.

2 doggies made it a dozen fish in 3 hours and the kids were kept busy with 6 fish each. lovely day in the end with pretty good conditions given it's the middle of winter.