Cod Competition

Neal

Just a reminder..........

Poole Sea Angling centre are holding a Christmas Cod Competition on 27th December

After all that eating and drinking it will be time to blow out the cobwebs and go find a cod or two!

They may be found our end of the bay by now.........remember Colin's 33lb Cod last year from the Sadler Banks !

Andy would like an idea of numbers that are interested in fishing

1) Court Jester - Neal plus Crew TBA

1.Court Jester - Neal, Mike 'I won the last one' Fox plus a n other?

2. Kelly's Hero - John, Dave L+ two

3. Reel Magic - Dave , Rob , Alun

4. Wishin Too - Nigel,Chris W and Dave Wilson(Dogfish)

5. Madness - Dean & Martin

6. Fisheagle - Allan, Dave S, Mick P.

7, Marlin - Greg, Vic, Rob

So it was a nice day out, I fished with DaveE and Alun on Reel Magic.

Great boat, first time I have been onboard.

We had some congers and some whiting, then some congers and a few more! In the mix we had a couple of Rays, 13lb blonde to me, sideways and made me work for it! Dave had an 18 or 19lb blonde and AJ followed up with a Undulate of 13lb something.

The whiting were obliging at the end of flood / start of the ebb, but disappeared with the stronger tide and never really came back.

I squeaked out a larger whiting of 3lb 4.5 oz near the end of the day, to take the honours in the whiting sub-comp of the day, netting me £50 in PSAC vouchers. Thanks Andy!

The only cod on Reel Magic was a Poor Cod and I was in 2 minds to weigh it in, it was a 'cod' but would have been bad taste!!!

I believe a 19lber won the comp for Greg Toms and Dean Burt grabbed 3rd with his cod. Only 2 other cod were caught and both came to one of two charter boats.

37 anglers and 4 cod, not good. I hear the last cod comp was 27 anglers and more cod caught - please advise if the numbers above are wrong, I wasn't listening 100%!

'Twas nice to catch up with a few wind burnt faces at the Mariner afterwards.

Cheers, Rob

It was a really good December day to be out. Neal took Court Jester out to a mark a bit off Ballard, and it was spectacular seeing a moored boat framed by the rising sun as we made our way out.

Neal had a smallish mark that we stuck with all day. First three drops I took pout and whiting, and as the tide turned and we fished the mark properly, the whiting rattles seemed to go on all day, apart from when the tide was at its strongest.

Neal had fun with monster doggies and some strange bites that produced a couple of conger eels that were the smallest I've ever seen at under 2lb. He had a bigger one later, that we both hoped was a cod, but at 8-10lb I guess, it wouldn't have been a prize winner.

I used a combi rig to my 4.2m match rod to target cod on the bottom, with a flyer above using mackerel strip to try to catch a whiting livebait. The trouble was, they were nearly all at an odd size - too small for the pot at just under a pound, and a bit big for a livey.

I managed a steady succession of whiting and pouting to the flyer, and a few bigger ones on the cod bait - over 20 in all. Some were a bit bigger so kept a few for the pot, with a couple over 2lb, with my best at 2lb 10oz which I think was my PB. I also had a monster pouting of 2lb 10oz as well, for another PB, which I kept too for some fishcakes. No doggies weirdly, but I did manage a mini conger too.

Good to see club members win at the prize table, and well done Greg for first place :)

A great day out, despite the lack of cod, with a flask of home-made Thai style goose Tom Yum soup to keep the cold at bay   :)

Mike