Ron Elliot

Just a quick note to say hello

I've Just joined the forum and the club and thought I'd introduce myself. I have a small Shetland fishing boat which I share with my father and we are just getting back into sea fishing after many years away from the sport and this is this year is the first time we have had our own boat.

Had a few trips out this year and really enjoying just bobbing about and catching a few. Hoping that we can improve on our catches, had a few mackerel, dog fish, pouting, whiting, wrasse, squid and even a couple of bass which were unfortunately to small and had to go back. As been a bit hit and miss but guessing we where in the wrong spots.

We've been fishing the harbour entrance and Bournemouth rocks with best results but not got anything much from elsewhere. Hoping to upgrade to a larger boat this winter as it's a bit cramped on the Shetland.

See you out there.

Sounds like a useful start Ron!

The Forum does have some members marks recorded, for which you'll need a chart plotter to get best results. They'll all produce something, at certain times of year, at the right states of tide. You just have to suss out how and when :)

Lots about boats on the Forum, and Coddy has his own website with lots of member reviews. If your mind is not made up, it might be food for thought.

There's also lots of stuff about safety, which is worth digesting.

Finally, it's definitely worth attending club meetings, and chatting with as many members as possible, who might be in need of crew, giving you an opportunity to see different boats and marks, and potentially better techniques.

Good luck,

Mike

Cheer Mike, thanks for the helpful pointers.

Spoken with a few members at baiter when putting the boat in and you all seem very helpful and keen to help.

Guess catches will improve with time, it's never a bad trip out as the scenery is outstanding round Poole.

Regards Ron

Welcome!

Before you change your boat try speaking to members who have had or have what you are thinking of changing to.

Maybe grab a ride on a few different types as crew so you can try before you buy, and hopefully catch some fish!!!

Club meeting this Thursday at Parkstone Trade and Labour club , 7:30 for 8:00

R

Guess catches will improve with time, it's never a bad trip out as the scenery is outstanding round Poole.

Regards Ron

My sentiment entirely Ron.

Joining the club was the best move I ever made. Great bunch of members  - and always helpful too. Masses of information on the website as well.

Hi Ron. Welcome to the club. The info available if you put in an effort is amazing. 6 years ago I'd never held a fishing rod. We do a species hunt each year for members boats, and the variety caught is amazing. So far this year as an individual, not a boat, I'm on 27 with an aim for 31. This is partly down to the help the members give with providing info on what and where. Try to make the meets and you'll be welcomed into the fold

Hi Ron and welcome to the club

This page gives some general marks to help start you off, can't guarantee any fish but may worth a try in the local area.

http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/ipb/topic/5646-new-member-club-marks/

I too have a Shetland, mine is a 535 which has more cabin space than deck area but they are good safe boats and are ideal to start with or on a budget

Look forward to meeting you at a club night, you can even bring the FPO (fishing permission officer) if you wish!

Dave

Hi Ron and welcome to the club

This page gives some general marks to help start you off, can't guarantee any fish but may worth a try in the local area.

http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/ipb/topic/5646-new-member-club-marks/

I too have a Shetland, mine is a 535 which has more cabin space than deck area but they are good safe boats and are ideal to start with or on a budget

Look forward to meeting you at a club night, you can even bring the FPO (fishing permission officer) if you wish!

Dave

Thanks for the marks list but haven't been upgraded yet so can't see the members only part of the forum yet

Yes my boats a 535 too but with only a 30 hp engine but gets it going as the boat not that heavy

Regards Ron