Where on Cobbs Quay

Maverick Martin

A question for Cobbs Quay Berth holders

Ok so the new boat is hopefully on the way and I have kind of decided to put her on a marina pontoon berth.  I have had a word with Cobbs Quay and asked which pontoon I would likely be on.  I was told either A or B.  Which in your opinion is the best?

A or B Martin makes little difference - however I would recommend that you try and get a berth as near to the Clubhouse as possible.

Not just getting on and off quicker with all the gear and closer to the bar.........

The wind and tide effects are substantially reduced and make berthing much easier - particularly with a new boat

Enjoy the new toy....

Neal

Ok hands up Nig you done us proud today, it was crazy how many boat in that small area

People casting over each other's Line and to top it all a bloody diver come under all the boats

It was strange that's when we caught the most fish

When the diver come up it was a lady the skipper looked like he was getting a hook out of her suit

O and I needed a nice coat with that cold wind

I agree with most of the comments previously mentioned. I have been at Cobbs for 25 years. The staff are great and the facilities are Brilliant.

However, it has only been the last three years that we have had a boat where we have had to rely on the lifting of the bridges to get us out there fishing.

I have to be honest and say it is a pain and we are considering buying a boat where we do not have the reliance on the bridges.

If you want to go fishing in the week there is no bridge lifts at 08.30AM or at 5.30PM. The rush hour takes priority. Also, if you want to go fishing in the winter time during the shorter days you have to leave Cobbs in the dark at 07.15 for the bridges. Otherwise if you get the bidges at 09.30AM you will not be on your marks until 10.45AM. On average it takes between 15 to 20 minutes to go through the bridges.

You then have to contend with the bridges breaking down. The new bridge has broken down a few times. Also, the last time Stuie and I went out we had to wait 6 hours for the Old town bridge to lift as that had broken down too. This can be very irritating as we all want to go fishing when there are certain weather windows.

Generally, you have to plan your trips carefully and always have a back up plan if the bridges do not lift.

Good luck with your new boat she looks great.

Greg.

Hi

I need 2400 mtrs to run my radar between the girders on the old bridge the new one is half a meter higher than the old one so i get out and in quite well but still a pain in the arse but a grand or so for fuel better off than the other side of the bridge 

Graham

There are some good points made about the bridges. The significant reduction in the number of yachts in Holes Bay now, compared to before the twin sails bridge is astonishing.

It's not usually a problem leaving for a trip, unless you really want to leave at a specific time or at first light for example. I've found it easier at times to go out the evening before (against the flow/sequence which takes longer) and anchor or pick up a buoy,

However, it's a good idea to have a "target" bridge in mind whenever you're out fishing, and if you get back early, or late, then you have a contingency plan. Mine is to keep a few worms on one side and try for a few plaice, or pick up a mooring buoy and clean/tidy down with a cuppa.

The other thing I do is to try to tie up in the old power station "pool" if there's a lot of boats using the bridge. It gives the engine 15 mins of rest (and would probably save you a few litres), again using the time to tidy up or have a cuppa. Holding station is annoying and frustrating, probably cokes up the engine, and I get jealous of all of the Warrior 165s (and others) going under closed bridges while I have to wait. Oh, and to tell Jacob when he passes, that he's found me on my top secret Undulate mark.... :)

Mike

Mike

I think it's all mind sets.  I am used to not worrying about timing as we have never had bridge or tide issues except on really mean springs and then only for less than an hour either side of low max.  Should I go to Cobbs the bridges will be a constant annoyance but may be one I have to learn to deal with.  This changing boat affair is fraught with life changing decisions  :rolleyes: