Joint Venture Re-Build thread

Adam F

Quick update from the past 2 evenings. Now the return haulage is booked it adds a bit of pressure to get sorted and these last jobs always seem to take longer than it might seem.

Last night I loomed away the last few cable runs, so everything now sits neatly away. Tonight I've installed the gas system, again, 3 hours work to get it all neat and tidy. The last pic is of the underside of the hob unit and explains the benefit of doing this myself.... No gas hoses coiled away in lockers in.... All runs clipped away securely.. Maybe a bit OCD, but as least I know its a quality job.

e43114a770f15a055e1c2d4338970b2d.jpg

b5e8cec0156466379814586650e31063.jpg

7a88d0926252e8bed3fa720500df3706.jpg

b3253d1bd47a1364b386a69dea6b930d.jpg

03ae1b2c2e7b737a71ad2ea63835131c.jpg

WOW Adam

we were looking at whether you could do a power-point of building your own boat for an after meet presentation in the next cople of months

Rob was going to explore August as a power-point option

but you to may want to be able to play with it before you spend time talking about it

Tony

Stuie

what is the topic for Thursday????????????????

Tony

One thing I forgot to mention in all of this, if I wasn't busy enough.... Was that 2 weeks ago a litter of puppies arrived... That's been a full time on in addition to this to contend with!

This weekend was less than half a day of work, as Rach has been doing a triathlon and other charity stuff over the weekend. More of the same, just ploughing through the never ending list of little snags.

Fitted the last few bits of teak, although they all now need a final sand and fill to blend in, another few hours work! It's never ends.

Polished up the duo props today. They came up lovely. Then spent a while cleaning down the outdrive. Really pleased with how this all cleaned up.

Finally got the hoses, pumps and outlets for the freshwater system run and fixed in.

Very nearly looking like a finished boat now :-)

d9083362e8851df72aaefa8fbdeccaaf.jpg

4b07238fbe71d357d6a6f10fab9398d8.jpg

abe7e1611fb790cc73d6def290746a4b.jpg

So yesterday was a busy one!

Set off home at 08:00 returning at 23:20, time spent mostly boat building & eating!

Bob F was onsite looking at electrics & trouble shooting (fridge, heating & fuel sender).

Dan C as onsite to service the engine & leg with Ad.

Did you know that the Volvo won't start unless the leg is in "beach trim" or lower, we do, now!!!!!!!

That was a frustrating hour, but at least all is double checked now!!!!!

I cracked on with the bathing platform ladder/ support & niggly bits. Inc. Flagging off some gel repairs and polishing them out (hadn't done this before but was easy with the right tools). I spent more time in the bilge than I had hoped! Tacking up wires and final tidying, routing and wiring the 240v system, toilet door locks and mounting pad, routing and connecting new bilge hoses, trimming hatch lock, polished and cleaned the stern......

Great hosts as always, plenty of tea / coffee and grub!

Here are a few pics from Rachael F.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436727192.864342.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436727207.898387.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436727222.365579.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436727234.049715.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates, if you didn't guess we've been pushing flat out with the haulage booked for next sat. It's been a case of 2 steps forward one step back this past few weeks .

The list of 30 odd 'easy' jobs have been steadily ticking off, but it's the main jobs that have been the issue.

Dan serviced the engine on Sat, and as Rob suggested it took us an hour or so to get it started after realising that it won't start with the engine trimmed up!

The tilt trim still isn't working, despite me rebuilding the entire loom, and bob spending several hours on it. We suspect the switch or EVC, it will be a job to get sorted once launched.

The £1000 volvo trims tabs only work half, one doesn't work at all. Disappointing.

One of the Roca wiper motors sheared a shaft when fitting and the supplier is out of stock, the order isn't in for another 2 weeks.

Apart from that it's all good! As she stands this evening, and on top of what Rob and Bob did yesterday, she has been cleaned today, I've fitted the vinyl flooring, and completed all the of the last fiddly tasks. All that now remains is to laminate the new engine box lid, re gel the cockpit in grey, and give the whole boat a cut and polish. I'll fix the trim and tabs once launched.

The only other downer on the weekend was the hydro hose that split on Sat when running up the system and dumping 2l of ATF on the driveway. Now I need to shell out £500 on hoses and labour to get them replaced. :-(

On the plus side, I get my life back next Sat. Can't wait!

Oh... Forgot to mention the supernatural experience both Rob and I both had last night... I'm not in anyway superstitious... But this was weird!

ff94ca4f385d337862f8c02412274627.jpg

032a36c4488f22f14faae3bb09b5f84d.jpg

df92463cd25090f956dc001fd25a4ef2.jpg

017dc587f1f610d59ab78653dcfb18d5.jpg

46968d1f070400137de9f63604ad6fba.jpg

0b09be2afe35e552e6754c53fd4e3cf2.jpg

c5a0720e4db1304a5e256c000edaa9a5.jpg

3cce475bbff7c95b8b30a57cbe682b0b.jpg

5cb6e136d7e9635bbb049731870b5a62.jpg

Wow she is really coming on

So close to finish

She will be an amazing boat when launched

All your hard work is paying off

With so many pics could you do a session on boat refurb at a club meeting in about November

What will Rob and Bob do with themselves when it is finished?

Tony

Though expensive it's a good thing to replace those Volvo hydraulic hoses, I had to do all mine 2 years ago, it seems to be how long they last before expiry (6-7 years). The newer types are made of a harder plastic and look like they will last longer. I assume all the bellows have been done as well.

Nice shiny prop - give it a month it will be black.

Good safety feature that, not allowing the engine to start when well trimmed up, shame it doesn't tell you why it won't let you start the engine! Caught me out for a while once.

Engine Trimming problems, I have a medal for that. Suggested causes (I've had all these): rotted crimps to the trim relays; crimps pushed out of the trim relay block when the trim relay inserted, very hard to spot this problem; failed trim relay (take care if replacing with cheap car ones, the pin are often longer and can push out the crimps also they lack protection from corrosion; 2 wire connector to the trim pump pushed home but does not made contact, hard to spot, apply power direct to the motor connector to test; 3 pin sensor connector does not make contact but otherwise look ok.

I am mighty impressed Adam that you can achieve all this inside a year while holding down a job and a family.

Steve, pleased they went before I launched really, we were only commenting in the morning that they looked perished. I've found the steering hoses 21548719 which come as a set of 4, but what I cant locate is the trim hoses? Are the little ones in behind the steering hoses part of the main hose back to the pump, or are they separate ones? Anyway, hoping to get them ordered and have a go fitting them on Friday.

Boat launch now put forward to Thurs.

Hoping props will stay shiney for a while, dont forget she lives our of the water!

Re. Trim, I've rebuilt the entire loom, with new relays and tested the system back to the HCU, all fine. 12v to the motor has it running fine. So its either the switch or the EVC

Adam

Are the little ones in behind the steering hoses part of the main hose back to the pump, or are they separate ones?

They are separate from the steering hoses and as far as I can remember quite short. I don't have the part numbers but cost is £162 and £154.8 (at least it was 2 years ago) for the two.

The steering host kit was £183

THE FINAL PUSH!

With the haulage booked for Thurs afternoon, a mad rush today to get the final few bits finished. I opted to fit the safety flooring myself in the end, and to be fair was pretty straight forward. After being in Scotland for 2 days this week I'm came back to it nicely bonded. So flush trimmed the hatches and then turned my attention to the silicone edge beads. After some careful masking they came out looking ace, very pro!

The other job today was to re gel the deck and walkways. They have previously been done in a horrible light blue, so que lots of masking, cleaning and flow coating. All was well until I had a little accident......

After 10 months and well over 1000 times up and down the scaffolding around the boat, tonight I was rushing and missed the top rung.... My leg was trapped and I fell sideways I put my hands put to protect my head, which worked to an extent, but I've ended up with mild concussion, a large gash across my wrist and bad grazing pretty much all over.

After an hour or so sit down I patched myself up and finished the deck coat, in somewhat pain.....

So tomorrow she goes and I'm left with half a dozen bits to sort before she is ready for the sea, so near yet so far!

1ec014d4ab6a4b15c23eaec487a962a2.jpg

8ddae171bb257d9622000b46c25453d8.jpg

d1b04e6cceb09c4fcd12c39d5c0276ce.jpg

Rush, Rush, Rush !

That's when it goes wrong.

Try to take the time to recover a bit Adam. Look after your health.  ;)

I assume she's already in the water ( I hope you put the bung in  :D )

Now stop & take a breather.

Jim