Alderney 2014 take 2 - 23rd May

Rob

For Guernsey that is

Only if you go into the inner harbour.

the outer harbour has 3 huge pontoons which are about 50 yds from the dingy pontoon ashore ie as long as someone has a tender you can get everyone ashore easily (back can take longer!). There is, or was, a water taxi but over the years it's been hugely hit and miss - even in high season. Easy enough to get an up to date picture on that if people are interested - just ring or email the harbour master.

accommodation isn't as orientated around visiting fishing boats as Alderney; where St PP really scores is in comfortable accommodation for those sleeping on-board and a huge choice of catering right next door.

it's extremely sheltered, but slightly noisy (ferry traffic etc)

I've stayed in both St. Pete and Braye, and agree with the comments above.

We never "lock in" to the inner marina now at St. Pete, as it prevents you leaving from half-tide downwards.

The outer pontoons are quite sheltered, have water available, and as above, are a short row or water taxi to the shore. The facilities are good, with showers included in the mooring fee. Forecasts are readily available.

Fuel (plus bait and tackle) is available when Boatworks is open, and this might be a restriction if you want to arrive late and depart early.

There's good food to be had for most tastes and pockets, with a rather good Indian restaurant along the front a few hundred yards North, that we generally use after eating French food for a couple of weeks :)

For those with passports, a smattering of French, and the ability to sleep aboard, Dielette is a viable alternative to fish the Schole. It has 24 x 7 access to the outer marina with walkashore berths, unlimited moules frites for about 10 Euros per head, and serve yourself fuel (petrol and diesel) available via credit card.

Mike

PS Beaucette marina on NE tip of Guernsey is also viable for some and isn't as far as St Pete, but the last time I visited it had poor facilities, no real choice of eateries, but could offer secure shelter.

ok Guernsey sound good to me. :)

I think I'd head off early, try to pick up some macks over the rips then fish one of the banks on the way over, head on to Guernsey, fish the Schole (or maybe other banks we don't normally get to??). On going home day fish one the banks and some wrecks on the way back.

Great, can't wait, just need the weather.... :unsure:

Guernsey sounds a good idea ref the accomadation

and the fuel prices are inviting,

But I have just plotted the tides into an atlas

A lot of the time we will be running against the tides, which for this trip will be slightly larger than they would have been on the first weekend.

Friday

Ebb down through the race ends at 1309

Then tide pushes north for 6 hrs ( towards Alderney)

Sat

Flood tide ( towards schole) ends at 0720

Then tide changes to run south until just before 1500

After that a run to St PP would be pushing tide

Sun

Add just under an hour to the above.

(If boats fancy spending the last night at Alderney we would get a push north after 1600)

Monday

From St PP

Tide going north via Alderney race or caskets (shortest route) changes against us at 0910

So an early start would be required. Or more time on the bank before a long push home.

From Alderney

0800 nip to speedy, for a try at the tope while waiting for our friends from Guernsey.

We are probably going with just three crew so that we can all sleep onboard. This would give us the flexibility that we may need to use both Islands for a change.

I have not run that past the crew yet, as I am waiting to see which days they can do.

If the weather is good

Fri

I would think that a nice early start from Poole

Fish a few wrecks before aim for the schole by 1300, a few hours on the banks then in to St Pp for fuel, food and beers

Sat

Slack tide out to the bank

If the schole slow, may even try the banks down at the end of the little Russel by Sark in the afternoon

Beer and food ashore

Sun

More fuel if required

To schole/caskets/south banks

Slack at speedy, then Braye

Mon

Speedy 0800 while we wait for boats that needed to stay in Guernsey

Wreck hop the channel

What do you think guys???

Keen to hear what others think, of course all of that needs a nice sea state

Charlie

Afraid to say........there's no sign of any settled weather.

As 'carrots' of little windows appear at distant end of forecasts, they disappeared as they approached !!  No sign of any 'carrots' at all now!

Only that site Chris put a link to [ netweather ]  has any joy  !!!

So can somebody just confirm what dates are now being considered and whether it will be Alderney or Guernsey please.

I'll need to sort another crew victim, ideally somebody who is a non smoker and has a bit of fishing experience. 

Hi Paul

I think that the majority are now looking at Guernsey with a possible fall back to Alderney for the last night.

But you may need to discuss that with the lads from Redfin to see what they are planning.

General discussion seems to be, going Friday 23rd Back Mon 26th

Probably even more weather dependant

Can somebody put the jetstream back where it should be please

Charlie

Hi Paul

I think that the majority are now looking at Guernsey with a possible fall back to Alderney for the last night.

But you may need to discuss that with the lads from Redfin to see what they are planning.

General discussion seems to be, going Friday 23rd Back Mon 26th

Probably even more weather dependant

Can somebody put the jetstream back where it should be please

Charlie

Cheers Charlie,

Just bought the charts for Alderney and Casquets so looks like I better sort the Guernsey one now GRRRR!! ;)

Paul

Thanks Paul

If they have fishing marks on them please pass them around Lol

I have been to Guernsey many times, circumnavigating the island whilst navigational training you get to see some areas where the boats gather in groups that put the cod car park to shame.

Has anyone in the Club any information about these areas?

I generally use St Pete as a transit stopover on the way to and from N. Brittany.

However I have to pass a fishy lump - about 20 miles to the SW is the Plateau de Roches Douvres, with magnetic anomalies, uncharted reefs, a towering lighthouse, and a handful of keen French bass fishermen occasionally making the 20 mile trip from their shores. I've seen a large number of 7-8lb bass when they've returned, and their rods rigged with artificials. The place is evil in moderate weather, with massive and rotating tides, fog from nowhere, Atlantic swells, and rocks coming from 150' depth right up to the surface. Sounds ideal if bass is your thing, but skirting the edges of the uncharted area, and having a quick 30 minute drop with plastic eels or shads (while on a tight schedule) hasn't proven productive for me.

The only other place I've seen a collection of boats is at the lower end of the Little Russel, where there is the Great Bank, just a few miles from St. Pete down to the SW tip. They definitely go there to collect bait, but what else is there I have no experience, but there's steep cutoffs and 25-40m of water off the Southern end. Fair shelter from Guernsey and Herme, but big tides!

The SW entrance to the Little Russel has 30-40m of water within casting distance of shore, with many reefs, underwater towers and gulleys. If I had time when down there, I'd have a stab for Red and Couch's bream, plus pollack, with good shelter from the North, and some from the West. Might be suitable if the wind makes the banks untenable?

There's also massive reefs to the North of Jersey, some of which dry, and appear to be no further from St. Pete than the Schole Bank. I've seen film of Jersey boats doing well chasing bass shoals there.

It's not a lot to go on, but am sure websites might give more of a hint!

Mike