Junior Competition 2014

Sam

Hi Guys

as most of you are aware i agreed to run the junior competition for this year after becoming a dad for the first time myself.

i have been playing around with a few ideas of how to run it this year and with a little help from my dad i have come up with a few ideas.

the first one which is an old idea revamped which me and daniel used to love when we fished them is to bring back a species competition, running from the 1st may through to the 31st August. each fish will have a different point value i.e. the harder the fish to target the higher the point will be for example a bass could be worth 5 points where as a dogfish could only be worth 1 point.

is this something that children and parents would be interested in taking part in?

if so can i have an idea of who would like to enter this type of competition.

another option is to run the same set up as last year with the biggest specimen taking the top prize, personally i believe that a species hunt is very enjoyable for children as it is always changing leaderboard [ very much like football and rugby]

the final idea i have had if not many people are interested in a full competition set up or there is a lack of interest, dad has agreed to use alfresco to take some juniors and a guardian out for a days fishing, if we could get a couple more people with boats onboard we could take a good sized group of juniors fishing for a day and turn it into a competition with prizes, a good date would be the clubs bream competition

i am after as much feedback as possible and any names who would be interested in any of these ideas.

tight lines

sam

Hi Sam

Thanks for taking up the junior mantle it is very much appreciated.  The committee have a thousand and one other items to deal with so help in any department is greatly received.

If you decide to run with a species hunt type comp I have a copy of the points scheme on an excell spreadsheet we use to use, you are more than welcome to this.  It will calculate points and bonus points automatically.  Let me know if your want a copy.

Regarding taking out juniors Awol is a little restricted for space but I would gladly assist if needed

As mentioned at the AGM the club will support you both physically and financially so don't be afraid to ask for what you need.

Martin

Hi Martin,Nigel and mal

thank you for offering your help with this competition i very much appreciate it.

martin that would be great if you could send it across to my email samchapman10@hotmail.co.uk so i can have a look that would be great.

i need to know the amount of children that would be interested in the three options posted so i can see which is more suitable for this year and then can sort out funding from the club to source prizes

i will start it off with

1. jayden wald

sam

Hi Sam

Have just seen this post

Thank you for taking up the responsibility for developing the childrens competitions

I hope that the other Dads will also support you in this, when I was doing childrens competitions we set up a sub committee of interested parents who steered and supported the comps.

When the kids fish the parents have to go along as well. 

The kids always seemed to like the on going competition of heaviest weight and most species and loved monthly results to compare them selves against the others. 

Please add Serenity to the list of boats that will support this

With regard to prizes and resources, Last year Neal was able to source donations of prizes for the juniors, we need to consider  what competitions format we should be running and then decide what trophies / prizes are appropriate. I am happy to be part of that discussion.

Tony

Hi Tony

once i have a list of people that would be interested in this competition i can sit down and discuss with you and neal the best competition to run and how to source the prizes and trophy.

i will see how many children we can get interested and discuss with you next week depending on the numbers, thats why i came up with the idea of one or two days fishing on a group of boats if the interest for the species competition is low

cheers

sam

My grand kids are only here for a week from next Saturday so won't be able to join in the fun. :(

But I'd be happy to add to the prize table. I could chuck in a £20.00 voucher from a tackle shop or something. ;)

Jim

I am always keen to support Juniors as they are the Club's future. Fisheagle can be made available, ideally not on the day of the Bream Comp. More than happy to supply a "Goody Bag" of tackle items and Wessex Tackle voucher to a total value of around £ 40/50 or if prefered a smaller "Goody Bag" to all Juniors who are involved. Best of luck in getting things moving Sam, it seems there is a lot of support out there.

My oldest is just about at the age where he's starting to take an interest but not enough to warrant a full year or several month long comp.

If it was a one off junior comp I'm sure he'd be up for it.

Well done anyway, we need to keep the junior side going, it's how I got into it all!

Also, JV would be available should a boat be needed to take a few out.

alun that would be fantastic with the ideas of goody bags all is very helpful and i agree there is alot of support coming in.

adam i agree that a 3 month long comp is a long time to keep the younger kids entertained and i also like the idea of one or two one off competitions in the summer period. i was also thinking about organising a bbq after the competition so the kids can all get together at my house.

i also agree that we could open it up to outside juniors if this is something that the commitee would agree with,

so is the general feeling that one or two one day competitions in the summer is more suitable than a couple month long species hunt.

thanks for all your help so far guys

sam

1. jayden wald

2. Ellie Witheford

Kingfisher available for any comps if it goes along the route of taking people out.

Personally it would suit me to have abit of a window for dates as I have Ellie on set dates. :(

But will go with what is agreed and hopefully dates will workout.

Well done Dan, if I can help please ask.

Chris

so far the general interest seems to be more towards set days out on a selection of boats on a couple of days which is easy to organise and i think will be very good for keeping the kids interested. hopefully we can get a few more names together.

so far

1.jayden wald

2,ellie witheford

3. daniel burt

4.jack allen

5. reuben franklin

cheers

sam

great the numbers are growing steadily and this could turn into a very fun year for the kids

i will leave it until friday for a definitive list and then look at the best way of running it.

thanks for all the support

sam

Good luck Sam and well done in taking up the challange!

My kids wont leave home so no Grandkids yet, not that I am in a hurry for them anyway, I am way too young.

Have you thought about the max age of the child?

Reason for asking is that there is a huge amount of info at the Wessex Angling Trust and as I am still a committee member there I am happy to get whatever I can to help you in your role.

Just let me know and I will do my best for you.

Dave