Pirk transportation

Adam F

Do any of you have a novel way of carrying your pirks?

I find them so awekward - heavy and sharp, at the same time. If i lob them in the lead bucket someone risks getting hooked, but they are too big and bulky for a rig wallet?

How sad you are Rob

[i made mine from Octopus hooks  ;) and Faultless hooks ;) with various colors of shrink tube ] but at least I did not take pictures of them :P

Adam I have an old first aid pouch, that holds plenty of mine, its much bigger and tougher than a rig wallet and is heavy when full. But it keeps the sharps safe.

How sad you are Rob

[i made mine from Octopus hooks ;) and Faultless hooks ;) with various colors of shrink tube ] but at least I did not take pictures of them :P

Adam I have an old first aid pouch, that holds plenty of mine, its much bigger and tougher than a rig wallet and is heavy when full. But it keeps the sharps safe.

I found a couple of these in the workshop, they fit 3 pirks nicely. Incidentally they are from Flambeau and are called Tuff Tainer. Will be interesting to see how they perform as they are impregnated with something that prevents rust, ideal for us anglers. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was making my own assist hooks due to cost and quality.................

But then I found a clearance sale online with 6 doubles with S/S rings for £2.99 a pack !!! bought 4 packs - jobs a good un!

B)

allegedly.......assist hooks (single or twins) mounted on the top loop of your pirk / speed jig will increase your hook up rate and reduce your snag rate.

If the doubles are tied properly they are adjustable so you have one near the top and one lower down.

I've used them for a few years and apart from the above (can't really quantify such) I find them easier to handle and I have confidence in them, which for many anglers is probably the most important aspect.

There were a few photo's on the old web site of my method of building / rigging assist hooks. I will try to seek them out and upload again.

As for transport.

It is much easier as the pirk / jig and hooks are married with a clip swivel only when you attach to your main line. I have a box full of jigs and several trays of assist hooks tied and ready to go in the same box.

A speed jig and assist hooks on mack feathers has accounted for some cracking bonus fish for me.