What you got on yours?

Mike Fox

I bought a Kenzaki 6lb class rod in Guernsey last summer, and would like a dedicated reel for the rod.

My trusty Abu 7000 seems ok, but doesn't feel quite right, and my TLD 15 is way too big so haven't even tried it.

What do others have, and what would you recommend to balance it, and why?

I plan to hose it off after each trip, target

Edited by Mike Fox

my nice shiney new blue Avet SX arrived today which i plan to use on my Suveran evo 12lb class.

looks and feels the "mutts" and i'm shore would be well balanced on a kenzaki 6.

hoping to get out on saturday wrecking from weymouth to test it out on some fit pollack but weather not looking to promising at the mo.

Interesting questions.....fast retrieve needed for pollacking?

Can the Avet or 6500 cope?

Was preferring a multiplier Stuie, but thanks for the idea!

Mike

The little avet has 5.0/5.2 to 1, the handle is long and comfortable to wind.

I can pretty much out 'retrieve' most people on a charter boat with my sx.

The only down side is that it has no line guide, so it will get some getting used to to lay the line on the reel.

You couldn't go wrong with a daiwa saltist high speed or twin speed. Eiither 6.4 or 6.1:1 thats over 40" per crank. I have a set of these if you wish to see / try. The new twin speed is as light as a feather and so well made.

I replaced two of my 7000's last year when in Alderney and almost got the pair for the normal UK prce thanks to Marks keen pricing no delivery and no VAT

I think that they are the 7000ci

They will not last as long as previous 7000 that are much older than my boys but when used with my Kensaki 12-20 they make excellent pollacking outfits.

On the smaller rod I use the smaller reels, and providing they have a full spool they cope well, although I am tempted to get one of those avets.

I feel that the 6-12lb rod and 6500 is a bit to light for deep wrecking so I use the 12-20.

Nice light weight if drift fishing all day

Charlie

I am with Charlie - my lightweight drifting rod is a US St Croix and is paired with a Calcutta 400; fish it all day long (and long days too). Whilst it has power a plenty I can't see the point of using such gear with the weights and depths associated with 'wrecking'. You also get a rest between drifts! Happy with long soft rods about 12-15lb class (UK) and 7000 class reels - accepting that some of the smaller, braid focused powerhouse reels are even better and a touch smaller than traditional 7000's

Mike .....I bought a 6-12 Kenzagi at the end of last year too and intend to match it with my old Ambassadeur 6500-CE 2. speed (30lb braid) ....auto shifts from 6.1:1 to 3.8:1 at a user select setting... ph34r.gif

Should be an awesome combo !! Bring it on !!

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Mike - youve got my juices flowing!

Ive fancied a 6lb Kenzaki for a while now - the only thing I dont like is the 2 peice split - but apart from that they are the best 6lb class rod Ive seen.

Problem is 1 is never enough.... so I'd need a pair, then reels - well it looks like Avet's are the way to go - so 2x