Alderney trip in May

great white

I have now seen my workload for the early summer and seem to have the first May bank Holiday clear biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I see from the tide book that the tides are just coming up to Springs.

Weather permitting I will have a Pass to take Alfresco across for the first time, biggrin.gif [birthday treat] but have a few questions

1. do the Members who have been before consider the timing and tides good enough to make the trip viable?

2. What are the target species? Ether around the islands or on Route

3. Would anyone like to buddy up with their boats?

4.I am not sure if Sam will be able to come, if not I would have space for 2, if he comes only 1, but I am afraid sleeping guests onboard would be a problem.

5. would someone like to give me a starter on areas to fish and catch bait etc

[ Treated in confidence and respected of course]

If the admin team wish to move this to restart the Alderney thread please be my guest.

Thanks in advance

Charlie biggrin.gif

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news Charlie!

1. do the Members who have been before consider the timing and tides good enough to make the trip viable?

I'm far from the most experianced, but have now been half a dozen times. Id say now is about bang on if you want the flatties, Ive heard that they are showing, the clear water seems the key, find it, find the fish. Spring tides - fine IMO.

2. What are the target species? Ether around the islands or on Route

Macky this side for bait. Stop enroute - Pollock mainly, outside chance of a cod. Once over there, flatties on the banks, with the odd bass thrown in. April and May is mainly flatty time.

3. Would anyone like to buddy up with their boats?

Only if you tow us!! Not this year for us....

4.I am not sure if Sam will be able to come, if not I would have space for 2, if he comes only 1, but I am afraid sleeping guests onboard would be a problem.

Put me down please, I'm dead keen to come. Happy to sort out other arrangements if Sam does come.

5. would someone like to give me a starter on areas to fish and catch bait etc

[ Treated in confidence and respected of course] I'll drop you a PM - its not that secret, but a bit too much to type here!

ATB

Adam

Martin

It would have to be Sat over and Monday back I think

Dan could not get time off school just before his GCSE's

I have had several PM.s with Members willing to crew so if other boats are available and able to offer a space please join in the thread.

Getting excited already

Charlie biggrin.gif

best give the crimson one a call

I heard through the jungle drums that a certain person was so p1ssed that he didn't even notice how cold it was...

come on Tom - that's a pretty low level step in the getting pissed stakes .............

Going right back to Charlie's question - the size of the tides affects 2 things over on the banks; 1. the drift speeds (obvious) and 2. the duration of slack (less obvious). From my little experience the bass come out to play at over 1.5 knots and the flats between 0.8 and up to 2knots. Obviousy this is only based on a small amount of experience and was a function of where and when rather than pure when.

Less tide obviously makes getting around easier too.

I have screwed up my diary in a right royal way and will struggle to make the islands over the 48hr this year (which probably means perfect conditions weather wise for others).

On the other hand I will look for any other window through May and June and this is a possible option for me. Just how big is the tide looking?

Charlie

I'd love to come, but I will have just got back from Cape Verde fishing for blue things with pointy noses. Couple that with starting my new position at Parkstone Bay Marina I think I'll be pushing my luck.

Personally though, I'd be looking for a smaller tide for "comfortable" flatty fishing, otherwise you'll be dragging a weight to slow you down. That said, with the bigger tides, you could make it a Bass and Bream trip instead....

Monday 5th is a new moon. Dont have tides for the CI's but Poole is a 2.2m that day.

We've had all tides when we've been over in the past biggies are harder fishing. We had big tides in 2006 with Chris meaning the weight went down a few times during the day.

I'd suggest the weather is more of a concern over the tides, if it's a summer like weekend the tides would be of little concern to me!

summer like - hmmm that could be anything recently!

I always work the size of the tide from the low water....what's showing on the Sunday at Poole? Don't worry found this dover tides - definitely a little on the big side.......... looking at it another way I wouldn't be fishing at anchor offshore in there tides either so I might as well head over to the banks!

Generally I found the tides over the 2006 trip to be pretty good - they also help to posiiton the boat for the edge of the bank and show the secondary banks etc very well. The charts are fine for a general indication but it's all moving around down there.

Big tides will also make dashing around between the banks a little slower because the tide alone kicks up a chop.

I fly back in either late on the 1st so could look to head over on the 2nd and don't think I have any 'must do's' on the 6th either (like to have a contingency available).

Overall - looking do-able if the weather plays ball and subject to Dave etc

Edited by duncan

Hi Guys, not posted for a while but I noticed this thread.

The weekend you are looking at we have a high of 5.78 on Sat rising to a 6.38 on Mon.

To be honest a bit big for the flatties, but not for all of the tide. Hovever great for the bass which will be arriving then.

So far this year the flatty fishing has been apalling due to the cloudy water. So the charter boats this week have been going for the tope with some boats getting 30 in a morning! Sounds like fun to me!

Then, oddly, they anchor up off Platte Saline and catch up to 70 black bream up to 3 1/2 lb. Again thats not bad sport.

So theres 2 ways to look at it, there should be loads of turbot 'cos nobodys catching them.

Or everything else is kicking off big time, if you are happy with tope, bass, and bream!

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Great to have an incite from the Islands, Bass Tope and Bream prospects sound good if the Flats are effected by the dirty water.

We have not met yet, but if we had I am sure you would know that the boys and I do not usually need forcing into going Tope fishing wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I have been to Alderney many times on the Boat I worked on but never on my own angling boat, we are looking forward to getting an opportunity

If you are willing to PM me any starter info for fishing around the islands we would be gratful, and perhaps we could meet for a beer and chat in one of teh many pubs if we get across in May

Thanks again

Charlie biggrin.gif

I may be up for this but work wise the following weekend is more suitable for me. Looks like I would be the only plodder though v. all you 30Kn types. As soon as I know for certain I will tie in with the rest of you.

Alan.

following weekend is good for me too - better tides as well.

as for plodder - I usually cruise between 18-22knots but it doesn't take a whole lot of planning around anyone wanting to cruise at 15 as 15 minutes mackereling is 4 miles of catch up!

lets see what the weather brings.......