Alderney trip in May

great white

Mark,

We have a club meeting on Thurs so we will be pulling together plas then. However the basic plan is to head over Sat morning stopping on a few wrecks on the way, before getting to the banks for the afternoon.

We will all be in the Marie Hall on Sat night, so it would be good to buy you a beer or three, and of course a few of us are staying with you.

A plan from you would be good, I'll give you a ring later as the forecast seems to be holding as reasonable.

Cheers

Adam

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What arrangements do we have to make for moorings in Alderney - book ahead, call on arrival? Are we doing a "group booking"? The Alderney website doesn't seem to have details or charges (that I can find).

Are special requirements catered for e.g. clean buoy, no swell, no wash, good view, short row ashore, no noisy neighbours ..., rafting only allowed alongside crews of "boating babes" etc.

I have just phoned the harbour office to see if we could prebook but you can't.

The helpfull chap said there will be no problem just pick up a yellow mooring bouy and go to the harbour office to pay your dues or if we are late in book in next day.

Speed limit in the harbour is 4 knots

Water taxi maybe a problem as it states on the website it runs untill 1800hrs.

Is anyone able to take a dingy?

Martin

Duncan..........never done it but some of the charter skippers reverse their anchor. I've lost my 28lb weight so will need to do the same till I find a replacement. Hauling a 56lb one will take some doing each drift.

No water taxi I am afraid, as of today the pontoon is still not in. Call me when you are an hour away and I will get my dinghy launched but I might not be in apsotion to do that till 4pm at the earliest, if not 6.30pm at the latest, depends what time I am guiding till. Know more on Friday. I have an early start Sunday but boat is on trailer, leaving it in water on Sunday night, early start Monday so will need someone to get me from slipway to my boat if my dinghy is borrowed. Sort that as we go. I suggest for landing that you land on the Slipway at the base of the Breakwater for ease. The lads staying with me will have use of a car so can ferry folk around if need be, again for ease.

As mentioned earlier......

I have an inflatable Avon tender with 4hp outboard that I will be bringing - hopefully that will be sufficient for our group requirements.

I trust that it will be safe to leave somewhere whilst we are being fed and watered?

It would appear that you are not really recommending that we spend too much time drifting the banks for the turbot given the tides we have this weekend.

I don't personally think it too environmentally / ecologically sound to have 5 or 6 boats dragging heavy weights across the sea bed - potentially damaging the area for the fish and therefore others to enjoy.

Other alternative methods may be available - or maybe we have to target different species and come back for the Turbot another time!

All to be discussed / agreed on Thursday, hopefully

Cheers

Neal

I don't personally think it too environmentally / ecologically sound to have 5 or 6 boats dragging heavy weights across the sea bed - potentially damaging the area for the fish and therefore others to enjoy.

Neal

If you think Poole Patch is a carpark wait until you see the Schole!

1. our few weights will be nothing (I realise the flaws in this argument from an ecological perspective)

2. they won't disturb anything but gravel

3. the gravel is constantly on the move anyway

Definitely not trying to steer anyone away from what they would prefer to do, if you're not in it you can't win it eh? It s just that dragging a weight to slow the speed of the boat down is more effective for you. As regards environmentally friendly, plenty of trawlerw here dragging there gear around, also it is only sand that you are moving which doesn't hold any weed etc and as Duncan mentions the banks being so shallow is always shifting due to tides and winter storms. You would also only use it on the strongest part of the tide so use would be minimal.

Dinghies are normally left on the pontoon, as that isn't in the slipway is the next best option.

On Sunday you will have all the ebb it may well be worth bringing live eels if they are available for the Bass if you want to fish for them, again cut down on your time here searching for some. Having said that plenty on the Schole last Friday.

Can anyone who has been over before give me a rough estimate of the cost of fuel we need to budget for.

I know all the boats have different engines and run at different speeds. Different fishing types / anchored / drifting etc etc - So I only need a rough estimate based on previous experience

Thanks

Neal

Neal

As you say there are a lot of factors to turn a trip into a fuel cost - not least the price of fuel! (I haven't a clue what the current price is).

However,

The trip from Poole to Braye is going to be about 70nm through the water each way.

Braye to the 2 main bank areas is about 12 miles, but they are about 8 miles apart.........so if work to an average of 30 miles plus drifts a day for 2 days that's another 60 +

This gives a rough guide of 200 nm travelling plus drifts - the latter being a function of when and where and long/short strategy etc etc

Travelling in good conditions with neutral tides I would expect to use around 300 litres on this trip

Does this help?

I would expect to see that model change to reflect a slightly stronger NW through Monday pm.

Settled high pressure through into the following week with a series of weak

Dave and I have a checkpoint later today which will be green with a late Friday afternoon departure most likely.

There is however a long way to go yet!

Metcheck can be set to alderney Paul if that helps

as can the UK windmap I think.

Everything still crossed, but more hopefull than I was when I started this thread. biggrin.gif

Engine has had its first service this morning and is ready, I am contemplating having the hull cleaned tomorrow. biggrin.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

Can anyone who has been over before give me a rough estimate of the cost of fuel we need to budget for.

Neal,

I work on an average of 1.6 litres per NM for cruising and working on the marks. This increases to 2+ litres per NM running near WOT.

Should be similar for your boat, maybe slightly less.

Edited by AHoy

For those that may not have it yet

here are the tide times for St Helier

Times in GMT, heights in metres above chart datum. For times in BST, add one hour.

Predictions DO NOT include meteorological effects.

(H - high water, L - low water)

Wed 30th Apr 2008

01:04 7.77m H

07:43 4.03m L

13:55 7.90m H

20:21 4.09m L

Thu 1st May 2008 02:26 8.33m H 09:01 3.43m L 15:02 8.61m H 21:33 3.35m L

Fri 2nd 03:27 9.11m H 10:04 2.68m L 15:57 9.42m H 22:32 2.57m L

Sat 3rd 04:19 9.90m H 10:59 1.99m L 16:46 10.17m H 23:26 1.89m L

Sun 4th 05:09 10.56m H 11:51 1.46m L 17:34 10.77m H

Mon 5th 00:15 1.37m L 05:56 11.03m H 12:39 1.12m L 18:19 11.17m H

Tue 6th 01:03 1.05m L 06:43 11.26m H 13:25 0.99m L 19:03 11.34m H

Charlie

And for Dover

High and low water times and heights for DOVER

Times in GMT, heights in metres above chart datum. For times in BST, add one hour.

Predictions DO NOT include meteorological effects.

(H - high water, L - low water)

Wed 30th Apr 2008

00:32 2.18m L

06:20 5.16m H

13:12 2.21m L

18:49 5.39m H

Thu 1st May 2008 01:55 1.92m L 07:25 5.47m H 14:28 1.90m L 19:48 5.75m H

Fri 2nd 03:04 1.54m L 08:16 5.84m H 15:30 1.53m L 20:35 6.12m H

Sat 3rd 04:01 1.20m L 08:59 6.18m H 16:25 1.24m L 21:18 6.46m H

Sun 4th 04:53 0.95m L 09:41 6.45m H 17:14 1.01m L 22:00 6.71m H

Mon 5th 05:41 0.77m L 10:25 6.64m H 17:59 0.85m L 22:43 6.86m H

Tue 6th 06:27 0.67m L 11:10 6.72m H 18:44 0.74m L 23:30 6.89m H

I will be looking to do the same as I don't have one of these ice makers (that everyone else has!) and will call in on Greenslades.

Can someone tell me where Greenslades are located (getting more than one location on my searches) and what the general arrangements are for getting ice from them. I can then give them a call.

Ta.

Alan,

Greenslades is easy to find. Just go over the lifting bridge [towards Hamworthy]; 100m is mini roundabout [and main road goes sharp right], turn LEFT [towards ferry terminal]. Greenslades is 50m on right.

Alun.