Outboards

Bramble banker

Hi all, as some of you know I’ve taken on Mikes project Wilson Flyer 20, I have been working away with the few jobs that need to be completed before we can go boating again but hope to be on the water this summer with her.

I have been pondering with what to do about an outboard, both size and weather to buy new…

Does anyone have any recommended suppliers that I can be put in contact with?

All thoughts welcome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minimum of 90hp.

I made the decision to buy new after years of breaking down and not having the trust to try the things I always dreamed of.

Yes I know it was very ,very expensive but after waiting nearly 30 years It has turned out to be a wise decision 

Fuel burn was a huge push , having a warranty, , having a decent dealer that could service it without it costing stupid amounts (Purbeck Marine Cobbs )

Salt water destroys engines and hardware ( weeks spent pulling engine’s apart have shown me what happens) 

I did a trip to the Shambles last year, it cost £65 in fuel. That’s not too bad 👍

C9976AFE-15C7-48B5-9BCD-E8BFC11FC8D2.jpeg

Hi Graham,

I don't know much about modern engines but . . . . . . . 

I bought my Honda 50  new about 10 -11 years ago.

It's a superb engine. Very smooth and great on fuel but . . . . . . . . . . . . . some idiot thought a good way of saving money would be to use a plastic impeller housing.   I had the leg in water a couple of years ago and started it up for the first time of the year.

It didn't suck any water through and destroyed the housing in seconds.  It's one thing to melt the impeller (which I've never done)  but the whole flipping housing (top & bottom) in seconds is crazy! ! !  and NOT cheap.

May be a question to ask when you're buying.

Maybe they're all like that now!  :(

I suppose that's progress.

I have a 20 ft cathedral hulled dory

like Hooky’s. It did have an old mercury 75 2 stroke. It planed at about 24knots no problem( when there was not a problem ) but fuel consumption was about 2.8 miles per gallon. 

Last year I upgraded to a15 yr old

mariner 90 4 stroke.

I’m not looking for speed and power. It’s economy and reliability I’m looking for. On my one sea trial so far I found that it is constantly trying to pull you one way(right  i think) at harbour speeds. At 4000 rpm it planed beautifully at about 22 knots and steered in balance.

The installing engineer had put my old merc 75 prop on it and said to take it to top revs . If they exceeded 5800 we would need a

different prop..

I went throttle up….things went badly……it leapt up. It needed trimming…..I reached down to trim it….it was pulling to the right again….hard round we went…

frankly I nearly S**t myself but got it all closed down. So to this day I can’t tell you the top speed or revs.

I am looking to install hydraulic steering.

Im really pleased with the merc 90 but it needs more respect than its predecessor.

Further points of note:

It fits on the transom but is slightly too big for the well …meaning Unmodified I can’t clip it up for transport.

If I stick with cable steering , mods will need doing to the side of the well as there is not enough room for the mechanism.

Lastly ,I used to have it insured with the NFU but on renewal they refused to insure a pleasure fishing boat over 85 hp!  I didn’t see that one coming.!

Other insurers will deliver.

after running old 2 strokes for years (i had an evinrude that was nearly as old as i am for a while) i can whole-heartedly endorse going for a new 4 stroke.

You dont get the same power to weight ratio, but it never gets old having the engine start on the button, first time.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I have made up my mind and will be going for a Mariner 115 LS mounted on a stainless pod as I’ve made in the splash well on the boat for that was my original plan. My enquiries have been somewhat fruitless with some suppliers saying late summer for a delivery, I think the days of popping to the shop and buying anything are disappearing fast but think I will use Bursledon outboards for the purchase. The technology in a new engine is what has swayed my decision along with the cost of a 10-15 year old (unknown) engine for just over half the cost didn’t seem great value for money either. Updates to follow as they happen.