A YEAR IN JAIL FOR COLREGS VIOLATION CAUSING THREE DEATHS

Maverick Martin

Sad news. Why didn’t the small boat move? Anchored? Hindsight is great but surely he could have got out the way pretty quickly unless he was broken down.
If i’m anchored in Swanage and see Solent Scene I always pull and move as that f*Coker is on rails and won’t deviate. Seen my mate get swamped without a backwards glance.

There is a serious and relevent point in here.

Whatever we do as anglers, we can't stop numpties popping their boat on autopilot, and coming straight for us at times. The club members have recorded many instances, with a surprising number of events on Poole Patch, which is directly on a line from the Solent to the East Looe Channel.

Even when anchored, it's obvious we are vulnerable, and something unpleasant can all unfold in just a minute or two.

If the worst happens to you, and you find yourself about to be on the receiving end, you have only two practical options:

- Fire up the engine and steam away, trailing lines behind you, but knowing your anchor is still down;

- Cut the anchor line (needs a knife handy) and throw it over (is it buoyed?), and then steam away, trailing lines.

One is quicker, one is safer. Neither have guarantees.

Which would you do?

I've posted this before, if I see a boat on heading towards me mentally I'm prepared to take avoiding action by starting the engine and motor forward at an angle to avoid the anchor rope. The lines in the water will just have to take care of themselves.

A couple of times I've started the engines just in case.

The main point is you must a plan of action in advance ready enact when it happens. Blowing a horn/shouting/radio might work but there is no substitute for taking action by moving yourself to avoid a collision.  

On 3/20/2021 at 4:09 PM, Newboy said:

We were anchored around nab tower about 10 years ago and a trawler trawled thru our anchor wrap and towed us for about 1/2 a mile before they could stop.

Our skipper radioed, shouted, and even chucking leads onto the boat (that's how closed they were). There was no one in the wheelhouse.

That's horrific. I thought I was close to having my anchor snagged by trawl gear, while cod fishing at the car park a few years ago. I was hovering over the rope with a knife with my sister looking at me in a very bemused fashion. Happily the danger passed by and I could carry on blanking.