Wednesday 17th - planning a trip out

Stuie

3 hours ago, alun j. said:

Yes... I’ll be out looking for some plaice.

Alun.

Hi Alan 

I'm in cobbs quay on f pontoon I'm new to this group and new to boat fishing in general . I'm looking to go plaice hunting could you give me any tips please 🙂

9 hours ago, Stuie said:

Planning a trip out with Ken - staying local - anyone else venturing out.

Monitoring ch 6...

Hi stuie what sort of species are you hoping to catch ..... is march the so called dead month or was that Feb I can't remember lol 😂

Feb is usually quite inshore although some guys have had a few fish.

During March inshore plaice fishing should be improving with the best baits being ragworm on its own or ragworm with a slither of squid or uncooked prawns, I get mine from lidl's , some say even cooked prawns work but I have never seen a plaice with a frying pan so will stick with uncooked :glasses:

Bream won't be long about probably mid to end of April/May.  Baits for these feisty fish is squid squid or squid, worm also works in fact most fish baits can have there day.

As you're so new to this hobby you really need to have a local chart and have someone mark the areas on it for you with an indication of what to catch in particular areas.  I would happily do that when the current lock down and social distancing is relaxed.  

Have you looked at the members marks section, there is some general areas in there to get you started

Members marks

13 hours ago, alun j. said:

I have found lugworms to be as good, if not better, than rag.

Prawns help...and I use the big cooked ones...they work ok and I have a few too !

Alun.

Yes re the lugworm only trouble is you would probably have to dig them yourself as I don't believe many shops stock them and that's not something I enjoy doing lol.

Interesting re the cooked prawns

13 hours ago, alun j. said:

Prawns help...and I use the big cooked ones...they work ok and I have a few too !

Alun.

Alun do you get your own prawns? if so are they difficult to find.  As a kid we used to get them off of New Quay in Poole but can't access that area any more.  I guess most areas with cleanish water would hold some

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

Alun do you get your own prawns? if so are they difficult to find.  As a kid we used to get them off of New Quay in Poole but can't access that area any more.  I guess most areas with cleanish water would hold some

Alun does dig his own worms, we were chatting about it earlier. You knew of the cooked prawns as I brought them to the flounder comp a couple of years ago and caught on one. Alun originally put me onto the prawns and they are the cheap ones from Tesco, etc, as stated earlier in a different thread.

Terry.