Walk round, cuddy or pilothouse

Ohgreatone

I'm back to fundamentals now that er indoors has had her two cents, and wants more comfort.

I've upped the budget and seen a nice bayliner trophy 1902 with a canopy.

I'm a fine weather person so pilothouse is not essential what are the practical  benefits and disbenefits

i have just plumped for a bowrider, with canopy for bad weather. Not purpose built for fishing, but good flexible boats for fair weather types (me included!)

look at the ones from Finland, they have a better sea handling ability with more freeboard. Most have hatches in to the front that can be closed to shelter from the spray. Most have decent captains seats for comfort and a large bench seat in the rear. 

Yamarine, Silver, Bella all have decent, similar bowrider layouts. I think quicksilver noticed the trend and have even gotten in on the act.

My personal view:  Those canopies are no good for our weather. The cold wind goes straight through them.

Asking this kind of question will get lots of response.

"Which boat" is about your own wants & needs. AND budget.

Everything's a compromise.

For a couple of grand more you could have . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  :)

Merry fishers are very popular in the club.

I'm personally a big fan of the Barracuda although I can't afford one.

It's a shame the boat show's been cancelled. It's a great place to see what's out there.

Enjoy your quest. Your head will be spinning.

Ask if you can view members' boats. We're all friendly. :smileys-fish-465204:

Jim

My first boat was a new 6m Bayliner 603, basically a speed boat with a 120hp diesel engine. I would not buy another. It needed too much TLC for salt water, the anodising was too thin, the fittings just a little bit too cheap. They are not nicknamed a binliner for nothing.

If you just love doing boat care then it's the boat for you! Just my view, somebody else may have had a different experience.

Bayliner sold off the Trophy mark years ago.  The original Bayliner trophies were lower quality but the newer Trophy (without bayliner prefix) are much better

Personally I love that style of boat even with covers.  I used to own a Karnic 2460 with covers and she looked after us in all weathers

DSCN1432.JPG

That boat is quite a bit larger than you're looking at but they do a 2260 which is smaller and outboard powered, maybe worth a look.

Personally I would not buy a bowrider for fishing as in the rough stuff everything that comes over the bow would go throughout the boat also not a lot of protection for inclement weather.

Exciting times especially when the wife takes an interest.

Good hunting and do, as you move along the purchasing bus ask all the questions you have here.  There's more experience in the club than you could shake a stick at :-) 

IMG_4579cropandcomp.jpg.cf3ee47370c82e876f4fbba3952ff9e7.jpgimg][img]img][img]2052358975_IMG_20180629_132023686_HDRcmp.thumb.jpg.c19116bbf3e4b25d45bfbf4897b08860.jpg

Its not at all comfortable travelling in the bow at speed teeth rattling.

But inside its toasty  and very little water comes over the foredeck which is self draining.

With a new high pressure fuel pump and fuel regulator in the 115 hp efi OB ,hydraulic steering and trimtabs shes a great 30knot water taxi.

Doesnt catch many fish though probably because its more fun blasting around the bay

15 hours ago, gaffa said:

You just can't beat a fully enclosed cabin especially when its fitted with a heater.🤗

Why do you think I havent got rid of my old faithful ( 22 years young of which 14 years have been my ownership) .

and I dont mean the wife..........🤔

Seems like it really suits you, what type of boat is it?

17 hours ago, Death Trap II said:

my version of rough stuff is if it is a bit cloudy

the thing is it maybe flat when you first go out but weather can deteriorate really quickly.  Don’t forget the affect tides can have on the water especially with wind against tide.  A prime example is the swash channel with an flood tide running with easterly winds can be comfortable. When you return from wherever you have been the same easterly wind against an Edd tide could be horrible

Seems like it really suits you, what type of boat is it?

Mine is a Swedish RYDS 600AC  no longer available.

Ryds were absorbed into the Nimbus group and most of the models suspended.

Similar boats are available from Finnmaster,Yanmarin ,Bella etc

just seen this Bella available in Poole

Bella 580c

Shes a little smaller than mine and may not be what you are looking for but this style of boat although common in Scandinavia is rare in UK

On 8/1/2020 at 4:47 PM, gaffa said:

Mine is a Swedish RYDS 600AC  no longer available.

Ryds were absorbed into the Nimbus group and most of the models suspended.

Similar boats are available from Finnmaster,Yanmarin ,Bella etc

just seen this Bella available in Poole

Bella 580c

Shes a little smaller than mine and may not be what you are looking for but this style of boat although common in Scandinavia is rare in UK

That is a beauty. I bought a bella 500 br a couple of months ago from the same guy. So far, i am pretty happy with it. The only thing i would say its that they are pretty heavy for their size, but they tend to have pretty good equipment and comfort.