Hello

Death Trap II

Hi everyone,

Just joined. Name is Matt, Keep a Salcombe Flyer 440 with a friend.

Used to leave it in Cornwall (the Fal) but keep it at home in London now to get more use out of it.

Like to lure fish for bass, have experience of the Fal, Chichester and Bradwell. Never been in Poole before, but looking for somewhere to regularly fish and Poole looks like the ticket. Planning to come down Monday for my first outing this year. Fingers crossed on the weather.

Looked at the charts (and the DEFRA bass nursery area) and a few locations look good for some trolling, anyone got any advice?

Happy to head out in the bay if it is calm, but 440s arent built to take much chop.

Also, if i bring the wife and kids, are there any good beaches where I can drop them for a couple of hours while I am out fishing?

Welcome to  the club Matt - I've never regretted joining - i hope you don't either.

Sandbanks beach starts just outside the harbour entrance, presuming you're launching at Poole. It's a great spot for families.

I don't do alot of lure fishing but other members do, and hopefully will give you the low-down.

I've had a little success trolling along the training bank outside the harbour, using Fiish and similar lures.

Good luck and keep joining in on the forum...plenty of advice to be winkled out from the membership.

Thanks Stuie,

Hopefully Poole will prove to be the regular fishing grounds i have been looking for. And this forum is amazing. 

I have been fishing in the Fal for about 6 years now, and the locals think that they have to guard their 'bass secrets'. Whispering about their catches on the beach etc. Locals their could learn a thing or two from this forum.

Thanks for the beach and lure tips. Never had much luck with minnow lures, will give them a go though, along with my usual plug selection. Will post what i get up to.

I have seen online that I need a permit to fish in the harbour, is that correct?

welcome to club ,No permit needed in Poole harbour.

if launching at baiter slip it`s £15 for all day which includes launch and parking, also includes harbour dues.

bear in mind it is a shallow slip.

As Stuie says turn left (port) as you leave harbour and there are miles of sandy beach.

the training bank is marked by posts on your right, advise not to cross unless high tide very rocky.

Good luck with the fishing.

Mick.

Hi Matt

Bear in mind you can't target Bass in the Nursery Area during the summer months and you can't keep any bass caught anywhere.

As above Sandbanks Beach on your Port side as you leave the harbour and Shell bay on the Stbd, immediately past the Sandbanks Ferry and before you reach the start of the Training Bank.

In the harbour there's Hamworthy Beach (at Hamworthy Park) the beach at Lake Pier or Rockley Beach.

Not club rule but MMO\government.

Brian, i thought you could target in the nursery, just not keep from boat (shore could keep) during the summer months whatever the dates were (when we could keep in the past but not now).

R

Welcome to the club Matt,

As I understood the rules . . . . . . . you CAN'T keep any Bass whether from boat or shore for the whole year.

I expect I'll be corrected on this if I'm wrong.

Anyway . . . . . . Have fun. there's other fish out there ( although I can never find them ):(

:smileys-fish-430558:

Jim

Thanks guys, could have saved me a lot of bother. Does that rule only apply in the harbour? or is it out in the bay too?

My understanding of bass nursery rules are that you cant target them from a boat, but you cant keep any fish caught in the nursery area. Using live sand eels is completely prohibited as it turns them into lemmings.

But catching bass outside the nursery area follows the usual rules. One per fisherman and a new minimum size of 42cm.

Thanks guys, got out this morning. Was a bit sporty with the wind early on but had a successful trip. 

Thanks for the advice on the bass, i caught 4 today just off brownsea castle. Two were legal size and i would have kept them! 

Also picked up a gar and a sea horse! Yes a sea horse.