A Day Out With PBSBAC Royality

Roger

Somewhat nervously I boarded Kingfisher for a day out with PBSBAC Fishing Royalty Sir Chris Witherford and Mal.

By 8am Mal had set his stall 4 rods equally placed around half the entire boat, Chris similar 3 rods around the other half of the boat, me on the other hand going old school 1 rod with 1 hook and pretty much the whole diving platform to myself!

£1000’S of plotters, sounders and GPS coupled with something approaching 75 years of experience soon had us on the first of four secret ray marks we were to fish during the day.

With more different species of bait that I caught fish in the last three years, I waited to see what was to be the meal of the day.

Chris set about baiting up his home made trace which to be honest had more bling than Snoop Dogs neckless and more hooks than a Mike Tyson fight. Mal was more traditional pretty much a bit of everything – ok went with a slice of squid!

Should be noted got my first yellow card at this point for letting my weight hit the side of the boat whilst baiting my hook.

It didn’t take long for Mal (whom by the amount of rods he had down I think was having his own private comp) to start getting knocks, watching with great interest Mal struck in hard, his rod, which one I am not sure, bent double – “Here we go, wow this is a proper fish” he informed us. Well as he cranked hard on the reel we were about to witness the sort of bad luck Mal was going to get on numerous occasions during the day. Chris net in hand waited with a sense of nervousness, Mal single handed, bad wrist and all, hauled this monster up from the deep, as it came into view it became clearly apparent that the proper fish initially hooked had been eaten by a rather portly Dog Fish on the way up.

A number of reasonable fish in the boat, myself having a couple of small ray’s including a reasonable blonde (not had one of them in my hands for many a year) we got into the groove. Chris gave a pretty reckless demonstration of casting his string of scrap metal he called a trace, and myself showed my lack of experience getting my single line entangled with either one of the other seven lines now surrounding my bait a number of times.

As the day wore on and more fish came aboard, Mal and Chris got more excited with talk of blondes, small eyes , Thorn Backs etc – I didn’t say anything but they looked like ray’s to me

Finally on the last mark of the day, I was to receive my final lesson of the day, and get corrected on a school boy error I had been making for years. With no talk of his bad wrist and finally a clear piece of luck Mal struck into what was to be a proper fish, after a healthy battle he dragged a 20 plus tope up from the deep, as it came into view, Sir Chris reached for what I have mistakenly been calling for years the landing net. A number of one handed sweeps he finally managed to unhook the fish whilst still in the water releasing it back into the deep thus avoiding any cause of danger to his fellow fishermen aboard – me a clear indication of 75 years of experience and two Fishing Icon’s working in total harmony – you just can’t buy that schooling.

A swift trip back to Cobbs and whereby it should be noted Mal had a further 4 rods in the back of his car, I assume in case I didn’t turn up, a couple of pints of Doombar bought an end to a very enjoyable day – Gentlemen I thank you possibly the cheapest all inclusive charter working the south coast!   

no wonder Mal was moaning about paying £11 a kilo for cuttle, Four rods ? wow must cost a fortune to keep them baited up all day. Great write up gave me a laugh sounds like Alan with his proper fish (dogfish) atleast you had a nice day for it and it sounds like you held your own and had some nice rays and other bits. Well done.

Roger the report is a very accurate list of events the only thing that may be challenged is the "swift trip back to Cobbs", the speed limit lifted in the harbour has very little impact for me!! ;(

Great day out and thanks for the company and endless banter. ;)

Reel Wizard

Held my own ?

Truth be known I won without doubt the following:

1) most fish per hook

2) biggest and most fish caught in a confined space

3) most fish caught on a single bait

4) biggest fish (all be it in my book I touched the leader is BS)

5) Most fish and biggest fish caught with the least amount of talent / skill

all in all not a bad day

Also I would like it on record, my yellow card is under dispute in that Chris won't be happy you banging your weight against his gel coat - he wasn't even wearing a coat !

good fishing everyone

Nice one Roger, a good read.

One of the benifits of fishing club boats, you can generally use a lot of rods as the head count is on the low side. Takes a fair amount of skills to manage them all though and at slack water with a bit of wind on the go well, more trouble than it's worth.