Bl..dy Trawlers!

Robo

I recently had a trip up to the Shambles the other week, it was a perfect day, perfect, wind, perfect tide, how often does that happen? :)

10 minutes into my first drift and a trawler shows up! £$&^())!!! :angry:  :angry:

This guy was dragging his net the whole day over the whole of the banks, surely this can't be allowed, apart from ruining the fishing it can't do any good for the marine life and then where do the fish go for any kind of sanctuary and to feed and spawn

Surely harbours and bays estuaries must be a no trawl zone and if not why?? Where do I sign to petition against this practice??

I noticed up the Training bank it seems to have died of death also and I learned from a good mate they recon a trawlers been up their too!

I did notice a lot of weed drifting through the water when I was up there last as if something had been ripping up the ocean floor

Surely this must stop, they have the whole ocean to fish but these trawlers work so close in destroying the local marine life

It pi..es me off and not just because of the affect on local fishing but because of the future of the marine life and the constant damage being done by professional fishermen that take all they can from the ocean and put bu..er all back! That is apart from what they kill that they don't want that goes back over the side...

It's our ocean too and we should have a say and some control over local fishing to be able to manage it much better, just my opinion for what its worth.

I afraid they are allowed and will continue to do so, did you know that 70% of the trawlers are not UK based boats, isn't it great to be part of the European fisheries that is run from Brussels !

It decided my only option was to go to areas they can't , try all those rocky reefs and inshore bays , change your expectations to save constant frustration and wasting your own valuable time and money.

I believe the days of getting a big old turbo or brill etc is going to be a very tough , my own personal leasure time getting a fish or two IS a far better option than chasing dreams from days past

70% of the UK fishing industry chose to sell their "rights" to foreign companies - Spain alone purchased over a third - and for some reason they often prefer to land their catch in Spain rather than UK ports.........Visit any French or Spanish fishmonger or supermarket and you will see piles of undersized fish for sale. When you challenge them, which I do, they always claim they are farmed fish, which is rubbish.

Leaving the EU would not change this situation as they are fishing on UK licences.

I also fished the shambles a week ago on a charter boat, with five experienced anglers, and we had not even had a bite between us after five hours fishing. Two trawlers worked the banks all day. Our charter skipper told us that up until this year, only one trawler worked the shambles, and could make a decent living trawling for two nights a week. Now there are two, both boats are out every day weather permits - and they are struggling to make it pay as catches are so depleted. This will be critical for the Weymouth charter fleet.

At least there were plenty of Cod about almost everywhere at the moment- wrecks, reefs and even 200m off shore.

I was in NZ when I read all the reports about that Dutch trawler scooping loads of illegal mackerel and getting only a wrist slapping fine, as well as retaining the catch. Around the same time the Australian fishing patrol arrested a Thai boat fishing illegally. Their rules were simple - first offence is a fine of double the catch value: second offence the boat is seized and used for Naval target practice. They even ask the divers where they would like it......! But there again they have a different approach to migrants too.

I am sure there is much that could be done within current EU legislation if our government were determined, which means adequately motivated by voters like us.

Ian

Totally agree Ian, it is all to easy to blame the EU for everything not right. It is our government that has to do more to protect local waters.

Maybe it is me just being out of touch, but what has happened about commercial bass fishing, have new rules been passed on size limits?

Steve

Sounds like the Shambles is finished for this year at least, I knew the Plaice had been hammered so I guess the muscle beds are ruined as well

It's our useless government that has to do something not the EU and how can UK fishing companies sell licences to Spain and France??? Its our territorial water not the bloody fishing industries, it all sounds cocked up to me, nobody asked me if I'm happy for French or Spanish trawlers to fish in our waters What gives the fishing companies the right of ownership, do the public not have a say

I think there should be a 3 mile exclusion zone for all trawlers and that needs to happen now not in 10 years time when its too late, why do we always do things after the damage is done, whats up with that???

I wrote to Mel Russ about the depleted fish stocks and we were reminiscing about how it used to be when we were lads dingy fishing in local harbours, you could'nt go wrong it was like fish in a barrel, I use to catch 6-7 lb plaice in Poole harbour and even Turbot and Brill in the bay all of the time using just king rag and a hook and ball weight, no beads nothing just good bait and there was never any doubt I would have a fish for tea, I grew up eating fish all of the time, I begin to wonder if that was just a dream, did it really happen? It's hard to believe right now

Are we to assume those days are never to be seen again in our life time? It's hard to accept that when the only reason is the greedy fishing companies that keep hammering the ocean and put nothing back except their rubbish and dead fish back over the side.

The two boats on the Shambles are locals. I understand the original boat would only trawl two nights a week and got a good return. The second boat was a scallop dredger (now banned)that has had to turn to new techniques. The original boat now shadows him every day!

New Zealand faced a rapid decline in their Snapper fishery some years back. The response was size and catch limits for all, but more importantly, no trawling in any waters below 100m. That protects all breeding grounds and most inshore waters. Maybe the depths would need to be different, but the principle could work.

If applied to all boats, it could work here, without any "foreign" boat discrimination, which would be politically impossible.

Ian

That boat you talk of got his net stuck on something while we were fishing, this was great entertainment for us  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: that's really too bad... 

Makes my blood boil how they just don't care where they trawl and the damage they do, not too mention the affect on the charter skippers trying to give their customers a good days fishing, plus it must have an impact on the local economy, word soon gets around that the fishing is off at the shambles, its a real shame I think even the trawler men will loose out in the end

Like Hooky posted need to fish where the trawlers can't go, I have a few Turbot marks but most of them are vulnerable to attack by the Trawlers! Anyone know where I can get a used sub-marine, preferably complete with torpedo's B) just a thought.