Where to keep my boat at Poole

jerry.shutter

Hi,

I joined the club about 6 months ago and have now got to decide where to keep my boat.Dry stack seems the best bet as still working and little time for maintainance in the winter months, so arriving and going sounds great having been on a swing mooring in Devon for the last 4 years. I have looked at most yards and marinas and down to Cobbs and Rockley, i have a Pirate 21 and told i can get under both bridges most of the time?Cheap fuel at Cobbs but friendly gang at Rockley.

Any ideas greatly recieved Jerry

Hi,

I think i just left a message in the wrong place!Joined the club recently but have just bought the boat home and now looking for a mooring/dry stack at Poole.I think either Cobbs or Rockley look best bet.Any ideas?

Brian you kindly said you would show me Rockley which i have looked round and looks very friendly but cheap-----er fuel at Cobbs looks good at the moment as long as i can get under the bridges (Pirate 21). Any advice suggestions gratefully recieved.

Jerry

Hi Jerry.

Being much smaller than Cobbs, you get a friendly first name service at Rockley.

As for fuel, I buy mine at the local garage and take it with me. If carrying fuel to the boat isn't practical, there's always Corals by Poole Bridge. Might be worth asking Martin (aka Maverick) or Tony (aka Fisherman 1055) what they do.

Brian

There are a few club boats at Rockley , the price is good but the distance from the sea is long

The lads in the yard are flexible and like people who use their boats regularly

I have been there 6 years and have never had a problem while the boat has been on the pontoon 

It is worth considering

Tony

Even though both yards have cameras they both suffer from theft same as any other yard.  All you can do is make sure you remove valuables and leave nothing worth pinching aboard.

Re fuel there isn't fuel facilities at Rockley.   Those with diesel use Corrals alongside the quay not sure how petrol users get on, cans for a guess.  I believe Cobbs have both diesel and petrol available

Martin

I'm at Rockley, outboard with portable fuel tanks, so I take them with me and fill up on the way home.

Be careful there is a max amount of petrol you can keep at home (esp with no boat there).

2x10litres in metal or 2x5 litres in plastic!!!

Rob

Be careful there is a max amount of petrol you can keep at home (esp with no boat there).

2x10litres in metal or 2x5 litres in plastic!!!

Rob

I know, but there's no way I'm leaving the fuel tanks on the boat and as Diane and I both drive diesels I can see no way around it.

I'm at Rockley, outboard with portable fuel tanks, so I take them with me and fill up on the way home.

Don't fill up on the way home.

Fill up on the way down to the boat.

Less to nick - - - - less to evaporate - - less to carry - - - - - and fresh fuel every time :)

Jim

Worth considering Parkstone Bay Marina.

Its where I dry store my Aquafish 23. They dont rack the boats over 20' they store them on launch trailers, so easy access when ashore. Very secure, not many issues with theft. Great new faclities - new posh shower block etc. Close to the entrance - saving you about 15-20 mins over Rockley. They also have a fuel berth onsite which does both petrol and diesel on an account basis and self service.

The downside is that you pay a little more for these extras - worth consdiering.

Adam

Don't fill up on the way home.

Fill up on the way down to the boat.

Less to nick - - - - less to evaporate - - less to carry - - - - - and fresh fuel every time :)

Jim

Problem is my son-in-law also uses the boat, so by filling up our way home we each pay for the fuel we use.