Alderney 2 2012

great white

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea of prices Terry?

Amazing place Alderney, you sometimes get a feeling that they would be much happier without visitors.

I have been there dozens of times working, and used to stay in the moorings most of the time, even as regular B and B customers we could never get an early breakfast at 7.30. Or one more beer at closing time. laugh.gif

Charlie

Charlie,

Hopefully I'll be over for this trip...subject to completion of the repair attributable to Manta's Alderney Crunch...., ( sounds like a biscuit).......

Early morning breakfast...and after hours drinking... WILL be available on Manta Ray... Book early to avoid dissapointment biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Tomo

Our crew ate at the Moorings last week so maybe our experience is useful.

Burgers were good, beef better than pork.

King prawns v.good, but they only served 5 small ones, doubled on complaint.

Rib eye definitely the best choice, but ours were cooked one level more than requested. Ie order rare if you want med.rare.

It was the new owners first week and they were struggling to cope, even though Alderney was empty. However they have mastered the local disdain for visitors, as observed by Charlie.

Hope the weather is kind and the turbos are biting. Wish I was there.

Ian

It's easy for me to say after hardly any sleep with the new baby!

Seriously guys, I've got all my fingers crossed for you, I know how much planning and excitement goes into this trip... The weathers a cruel mistress.

Just seen that too Alun, updates eh? We are better of not looking till Thursday ;-).

Note your comments on Alderney's ability not to impress visitors Charlie and Ian, it is a shame and visitor retention is very poor due to this hence an empty island for most of May. Anyone want an early breakfast that will fill your belly just book with us. Fie was up at half 4 the other morning, bless her. She does a mean packed lunch to as my waist line proves.

Crossed fingers though that you guys can fill the pubs and restaurants next weekend!!

Perhaps you can educate them, Mark, in the ways of customer satisfaction which usually translates into customers returning to spend more money. Or perhaps they don't like their little patch being invaded.

Terry.

Been here 9 years Terry and you see how far we have come and the business contacts we have made, no one seems to follow our lead hence why we have taken an emphasis in the change of direction with our business which is now more internet driven and even more so when new site goes live. It is ridiculous. Alderney can be a Mecca for UK and even NW European sea angling but my little voice goes nowhere. Outsider still eh ;-).

The group of people that drive any angling business to the island with any sort of success is the UK charter skippers, even with

Just to add on as I was generalising on Charlies and Ians remarks which are all too common, Rea when he was at the Divers was extremely good towards visiting anglers so hopefully once he settles in to his new surroundings he will nail it, I for one wish him all the success but that doesn't take away what you guys feel as visitors and customers to the island.

Mark,

I've been visiting Braye with Phaeton for about the same 9 years (not fishing the first few) and I would echo your comments.

There are many who go out of their way to help, in it's widest sense, and there are others who are fine on 'their terms'; any issues generally being a need for the former finding the latter!

Whilst I can't make this weekend I will be over if the weather settles at some point - I have to take the blame for the weather over the last couple of years; all this started when I retired..... sad.gif

Having said all that, I still look forward to my pilgrimage each year, twice if I'm offered a lift. I find the relaxing way of life sits very well with me. Also a nice meal (at what most would agree is a very reasonable cost) and a beer or two in good company finishes the days off handsomely. Please, please let the weather be kind!

Mark, if everyone was as helpful and welcoming as you are the place would become a hotspot; not sure if I'd like that. I really think the locals who are involved in 'the business' should try to help those that are bringing money to the island, i.e. the charter skippers. They probably bring more income directly to the economy than the commercial fishing interests. Look after those who look after you.

Terry

1) Alun, chilli

2) Martin, rib Eye

3) Nigel, rib eye

4) Ben, chilli

5) Bob F, rib eye

6) Peter, rib eye

7) Greg, rib eye

8) Craig, rib eye (steak? bit risky for you, mate)

9) Ashley, rib eye

10) Terry, rib eye

Must be some more chaps. Come on, time's getting short now (hurrah!), let's have your orders.

Terry.

Terry

I will see Dan at about 10 tonight and sort that out, in case the forecast changes.

Hi Mark

I have been coming to the Island for 25 years, and the general attitude seems not to have changed much.

We used to stay in the moorings weekly, while they were happy for us to occupy the bar and spend money, early breakfasts were frowned upon.

It is a great shame that more of the others do not have your attitude mate, I know that you have worked endless hours trying to get your message accross.

If they just realised the potential earnings from Charter boats and groups like ours, the Island as a whole would benifit.

Having pubs that will not feed you after 8pm , Mooring buoys on the jetty instead of in the water, tender pontoon not ready are all things that must go towards a tendancy for some boats to bypass Alderney and head on towards the other Islands or France.

Not us Mark, we love Alderney and all that it has to offer us. I just wish it was a little nearer so that we could come in shorter weather windows.

Still hoping to see you later this week

Charlie

Any thoughts this morning ???

Fri and Sat both looking windy ........ I'd be up for going later and coming back later !!

.....but I know JV and skipper can't do that !!

If things stay as today's forecast.....and we went Fri [early to avoid worst of wind] we would be going with the sea [ not so bumpy!]...be sitting around Sat , before having two nice days Sun and Mon.

You know what? I like Alderney just as it is! It's these quirks that make the place what it is.

Most people I've met on the Island have been pleasant and appreciative. I like the fact that everywhere isn't 24 hours like we get on the mainland... It's why I go, it's a more relaxing way of life.

If Braye had hard shore pontoons, all night bars and top class facilities it wouldn't be the little secret it is, it would be full on gin palaces, prices would go up, you would have to book meals everywhere.

As for the quality of the food, I think it's fine and in most places, excellent. I'm not sure why people think just because we have crossed The Channel, that all steaks must be cooked to perfection. I've had just as many average eating experiences over this side. Cooking upwards of 30 steaks for a group of hungry, tired anglers isn't easy!

Can't wait to get over in 2013!!