Advice on finding a leak!

Oli

As a few of you know, since purchasing the Arvor 250, we've occasionally had a problem whereby water runs inside to the cabin and collects on the cabin floor.

Needless to say the first time this happened, on our maiden voyage, we were more than a little alarmed, however with time we realised that this is only an intermittent problem, and only occurs when we have rough weather, suggesting the hole or crack is above the waterline.

The boat is still under warranty, but we have to find the hole to get it fixed - so my question is how? We have around a year left on the warranty, so intended on having a boat surveyor to give her a checkup before that expired so we could get any problems fixed, but having never used one before - are unsure if this is the sort of thing they would look for?

As recommended by the supplier, Essex Boatyards, we have run a hose all over the bow (where the water seems to enter) and found that the bow porthole was leaking and of course thought we'd solved the problem by sealing this shut with silicone. It was only months later when we went out in rough weather again that we realised this hadn't cured the problem.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon, as it's pretty unnerving when water starts seaping in mid-channel! Thanks all in advance.

Oli

I'm not sure whether this will work on your Arvor but on a yacht the traditional way to find a troublesome leak is to dry the bilge/floor/sole/etc then put talc down and see where any water tracks lead back to.

Edited by ChrisE

As Rob said, is it seawater or fresh?

If fresh:

Do you have a fresh water tank onboard? If yes, could it be overfull and the motion of the boat causing it to come out of the breather?

Edited by Brian

Thanks for such quick replies guys. Definitely salt water. The fresh water tank is on the port side, under the deck and about half way along the length of the boat and the water seems to come in on the starboard side up at the front the cabin and then trickle down on to the seat and on to the floor where it collects in a puddle by the toilet door.

Oli the few problems with water getting in

i have had on Wight Magic are both sky lights needed resealing

Also if she is stood for alongesh time the roof space has a

gap and condensation builds up witch stays forward

until you get going then it goes back to where the cables

run down by the helm position and run into the cockpit

Dave

Thanks Dave, interesting that you have it too - Neal advised that he also knows a couple of people who have had water come in when the boat flexes and eventually needed to have the joint fibreglassed from the inside to stop it.

I'm really keen to get this resolved while still under warranty - does anyone know if this is the sort of thing that a boat surveyor would find?

Graham, the problem is I can't seem to make water come in myself - it's only when we're ploughing through some fairy rough seas that we actually get anything come in, but it's quite a bit when it does...

I had the same thing on a 215 I went around with a culk gun on the windows and any place it could get in I had essex boats down twice they didnt find it ,it would fill the front shelf and when you got onto the boat you could see the water run down into the cabin . I took a large torch into the boat at night and get a mate out side to see if the light came through no luck so I gave it back to essex boats

good luck

mark w

Oli

As someone who has had the engine out due to damage caused by an undetected water leak, I feel that I should not really offer advice

But as you are being very sensible and trying to get it in Warranty {unlike me sad.gif ]I will.

I second Chris's idea about teh talk we used int many times in the Navy and if necesarry the food dye idea, but there may be other areas to check.

When I first launched I had water ingress under the deck, found to be coming back through the elec bilge pump. fitting a non return valve in the discharge line has fixed it.

It is very common for skylights and windows to leak, also condensation lying in pockets untill rough weather moves them.

Only last week at work ,we had a surveyor taking pictures of a new leak detection device in use, I am sure I put his card somewhere safe, if you want his details let me know, his evidence should be enough to get a warranty repair.

Charlie

HI Oli

Can't remember if we have talked about this yet, but a common fault on the Arvor 250AS is a leaky bow thruster tunnel.

MANY of them have been known to leak around the join from the tube to the GRP. Any below the water line leak would have me start looking there.

It shows itself in various ways, usually they just drip drip drip all the time, others may only show up when pounding through waves...

Hi Tom,

We did talk about this, but it's dry down there, and the bilges are dry all the time too so I'm pretty sure it's above the waterline.

Charlie, skylights and windows have been checked - we did have one which was leaky so we thought we'd found the problem. As it was never used we totally sealed it with silicone. Nothing now comes in there but unfortunately we still have the problem. The surveyor sounds ideal - I was thinking we should really have a full boat survey done before the warranty expires so we can get anything fixed, is it the sort of thing a surveyor should find?

Any idea what such a service costs?

Thanks again all

I do not like the sound of that last one Tom. or the leaking Bow Thruster tube.

Oli the guy who came here with the instrument last week taking photo's was Ken Hawes of Class instrumentation Ltd 07970 617513 or 020 8333 2288

He is from up your way but should be worth talking to to see if he had a local surveyor using his kit

Good luck and I hope you find the leak.

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I live with a number of leaks - fortunately it's a boat so gets on with water reasonably well sad.gif

More constructively (I hope)

1. beware that the leak and the transport system can be quite different - for example you may have a lot of water getting into the anchor locker (normal but hopefully not too much hitting the windlass unless you wash it off with fresh each time); but this water then wickes it's way down the cables and finally drips off an appropriate bend

2. all and any screws or bolts into the fibreglass are suspect. If they weren't screwed into calk/mastic then they will be a source of a leak. Only takes one and the best test (assuming you can get to the inside) is to put a ring of coloured talc around the inside of every one.

3. as Tom highlights, the hull/deck is normally stapled together with SS staples (big!) with calk and then a covering/strake. This can leak but is less common than might be initially suspected.

4. deck drains can leak 2 ways - the seal between the deck and drain, and the drain outlet and it's attached pipe. If the latter the liquid will run along the pipe (sometimes a long way!) before dripping off.

5. Hatches - obviously

6. Windscreen - this can lead anywhere - with a built in headlining it's easy for the water to run a long way.

7. Windscreen washer system?

Fresh water can become salty through flowing over salty fittings or a build up of salt anywhere - but in one sense it doesn't matter if you are only getting it when running in some sort of sea (although if you are NOT getting it sitting still in heavy rain it probably rules out a lot of the above.

My money would be on the cable runs from an anchor windlass - just about everything else will leak from heavy rain. Sealing around the anchor beak underside as well.

Obviously all this assumes it's not from hull skin fittings.

Good luck

Duncan, absolutely brilliant - thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that. Now I've just got to get down to Poole again to go through it all thoroughly.

Thanks for the number Charlie, I'm going to give him a shout. Will report back!