pirate 18 cuddy

mike02380

has anyone got any comments about the boat?

I went on one at the southampton boatshow and quite liked it, went well with a 90hp although I am considering plonking a 115 e tec on one,

build quality looked good (built in the uk)

had a single bunk for dossing overnight

built in livebait wells

internal fuel tank

good standard spec

seemed a good ride through the chop

towable without a 4*4

self draining decks

http://www.pirate-boats.com/show/english/p...e_18_cuddy.aspx

but quite expensive!

cheers

I would be keen to know what the weight with trailer was if not using a 4x4.

It is all well and good towing 2000kg with a car (such as caraven) until you need to pull it up a slimey \ wet slipway or manouver it over soft-ish ground. Or a nice bit of ice when off cod fishing!

(Winter before last Mudeford slip was a sheet of ice, after a club member had lauched 20mins before me, the water had frozen and launching had to be by hand, I would not have fancied my chances of retreiving without a 4x4 and a rope, luckily it had defrosted by the time we came in).

recommended towing weights is 85% of towing vehicle weight - doesn't have to be so but most cars will not (legally) tow much more than their own weight. You need a low ratio gearbox to get that figure up much more.

p.s. lovely looking boat - go for the open one if it were me!!!

HTH

Rob

Hi Mike,

The weight is the same as my Warrior 165 ( 650 kg )

As for the open version, It gets very cold in an open boat.

I'd go for the Cuddy.

You've been on the Grinch, so you have a feel for comparrison.

Good luck.

Jim

Ps. I've been very pleased with my 75 E-Tec

Mike,

The Pirate hull profile and weight is similar to my Raider 18 which I've owned for 6 years. I soon realized after purchasing it that my Vectra was not a suitable tow vehicle and had to change to a 4 x 4 (unless you don't mind the smell of burning clutch and tyres). I also upgraded from a 75hp to 115hp last year which tranformed it from a good boat to a great one. The Pirate 18 looks really good, so if you can, go for the 115 on it and be prepared to change your car.

Gordon

Mike

Stop messing around and get one on order I want to come and play !!!! tongue.giftongue.gif

Nice looking boat, I missed it at the show even though i went twice although second time we took clients for a day out most of the day was spent in the bars, good day all the same.

Definately go for the cuddy if nothing else its a dry place to store kit and keeps the wind off.

Mick tongue.gif

Lads,

For what its worth I can tow my Pirate 21 with a 4x4, no trouble......

Build quality..... Very Good..not brilliant ... as the yard seems to change each boat that comes out of the mould to suit the last purchasers comments......

As for sea keeping qualities....ask the lads that were onboard going through the Swinge. with me.....In Alderney... sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

The 18 is a great boat, as I have taken it out in Wales in very rough conditions.

Tomo

Looks a good boat

I would also go for the Cuddy version, It actually looks very simular to how my Wilson Flyer finished up.

I took the bulkhead off and made the cabin into a Cuddy.

The changes lightened the boat and upped the performance, but better than that was the ability to sit back and dodge the cold wind and rain while fishing.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Cuddy, cabin, shelter - what's wrong with you all?

A small folding cuddy is light, keeps off the wind and allows fishing access all round when down.

Mind you - I do have a sore throat and sunday was cold! laugh.giflaugh.gif

OK - maybe it is a good idea, that's why I have friends with boats with cabins - for winter time!!! smile.gif

Rob

I will def be going for the cuddy if I choose to make a purchase!

There is a little infill panel which will make a comfortable 6ft bed for one so I could overnight comfortably aswell as a canvas door which turns the cuddy into a mini cabin, think this comes as standard, there is a picture of this on the website.

please some negative comments! the only negative one so far is from the mrs about the price laugh.gif

No Jim, it has a well between the engine and the deck.

I went and looked at this boat before deciding on my Raider 18 and i only decided against it because it was BLOODY MASSIVE!!!

It is an awful lot of boat and would easily fish 6 on that deck. You almost need to shout from the transome to the cabin door.

The John Dory boats are superb and similar if not the same as the Fisheagle of which there is one for sale on this site. IMHO both well worth a look

The Pirate also looks to be a well thought out bit of kit, kinda wish I was looking for a new boat at the mo with all that choice about.

Martin