trailer suppliers around Poole area?

Graham Nash

As i have now decided to keep my displacement hull boat, I need to modify my trailer somewhat.

I bought a brand new trailer for the boat when i got it a year ago. This trailer has rollers in the middle but wooden bunks for the keels. This has always been a problem, causing the winch to die the first time we tried to pull the boat onto the trailer so we now have to ensure the boat sits over the trailer then pull both out of the water at the same time, thus the boat gradually lowers onto the bunks and everyone is happy ...... but ...... if there is any swell (which there invariably is) the boat rides over the bunks and rests on the mud guards etc. We then have to go backwards and forwards looking like wally's till it sits right.

I think i need to upgrade the winch and put keel rollers onto my wooden bunks to allow us to pull the boat onto the trailer. I think this would work, along with maybe a couple of poles fixed to the side of the trailer to prevent the boat from riding over the side.

Can anyone offer any advice on the above, and can you point me in the direction of a decent supplier reasonably locally. I have looked on here and see someone recommending trailertek but I was wondering if there is anything closer?

Many thanks in advance

Graham.

I've got a bunked trailer as well, the trick is to recover the boat in not too deep a water, so that the boat stays fairly central on the trailer, and that the waves don't lift the hull off the bunks very much.

Having said that, it's not easy!

I am currently in the process of making up some 'guides' (vertical uprights wth rollers on) to help keep the hull central on the trailer.

If you really want rollers instead of bunks, and have the budget, then haea look at these: Bunk to roller conversion

I am tempted by them...

C.

graham,

What kind of winch do you have ?......twin speed heavey duty ? tongue.gif have a look for these during your visit.

Also 'winch post' position makes hell of a difference if too high or too low weep.gif

looking at your earlier pics i can see she must weigh a fair bit so rollers could be the answer.....but more expense mad.gif

Gary

the upright rollers attached to the trailer work a treat i had a displacement hulled boat and did the same a couple of years ago i found that the keel should fit fairly tight between the rollers and then the boat doesnt tend to wander off the centre rollers the answer also is to use a slipway not to affected by wind and tide ie cobbs

Also be aware that some hulls require support in different ways e.g. some boats require keel band support other don't and can sit on swinging roller cradles.

I know that getting it right makes sooooo much difference to the boat experience, my last boat had a bad trailer until I spent much time and not much money getting it just right. My current trailer was a perfect match to the boat when purchased, mmmm!

Best of luck.

Rob

agreed Gary concerning the winch post height, unfortunately my boat does not have a low level eye to connect to so I have to connect at the top of the bow at the anchor roller, this is about 3 feet above the winch, but without fixing an eye just above the waterline I cant see any way of rectifying that. A longer winch post would help but the winch would be about head height then making winding just as difficult.

I am intending on picking up a 3500lb winch and wire tomorrow from trailertek while i am there.

Maybe someone could advise me how to get a more appropriately positioned eye??

Can you run a rope from each gunnel around to the bow and winch from that?

It have a high post with a roller on the top so the cable \ strap goes up and over it to gain the height and leave the winch lower.

How about a swing mooring!! blink.gif

good ideas Rob, i think the rope from the gunnels has to be worth a try.

As for the swing mooring, I did have one in holes bay but I am not a great believer in human nature and I was constantly worried about things being taken from the boat while i was not about, or even my tender being taken while i was out plus at over

Graham.

I would position the winch just a tad higher than the boats winching position.

If this is going to be the bow/anchor post then you will have to get a post made up and try and balance on trailer while winching. dry.gif

I think it would be worth while trying to get a winching eye fitted in the correct postion on the boat wink.gif

Try and get a winching strap rather than wire as the wire will embed itself and become a pain in the ass ph34r.gif

Let us know how you got on

Best of luck

Gary

To position an eye, you need to acquire one, make up a decent backing pad to spread the load as far as is practical, and decent stainless penny-washers.

I'd mark the position you need it from the outside, then use pilot drill bits to mark inside.

You might be best to glass the backing pad inside, or use an epoxy putty that will dry hard, hold it in place and help spread loads.

Drill through again with small drill bit first to get positioning right, then use a larger bit for the retaining bolts. then you need to smear both of the bolts and the eye "pad" with Sikaflex or similar from the ouside, push it through, and tighten the nuts progressively.

I usually let it dry, then crank it up a little tighter to improve the seal still further.

Take care with cleaning off the sikaflex...probably best done after it's dried and "squidged" for the first time.

Good luck.

Mike

Graham,

I have four nylon rollers with sealed ball races which fit on a 20mm shaft.

I fitted a set to my trailer and the difference when recovering the boat is dramatic.

If your boat has a keel band and you can raise the height of the keel rollers very slightly to reduce the friction on the bunks I

I would agree with the following:

Use a braided strap and not wire. Wire will give no warning before breaking and if it does break the whiplash effect can cause serious injury. Braided straps are easier to see when fraying etc and will just fail without the whiplash effect with less chance of personal injury.

Creating a towing point as described by Mike would be useful with as large a backing plate as large as you can get in to spread the weight/stress. Backing plate can be made of 6mm plus thick stainless/aluminium or as a last resort hardwood. 1 tip is to wipe off excess sealant with Acetone when still wet.

Martin

many thanks all for the advice and even an offer of rollers !!!

I visited Trailertek this morning and spent another leg buying a monster new 2 speed winch (with braided strap) and some rollers. I am going to try the rope from the gunnells route that Rob suggested before putting an eye in, simply because i would hate to pull a hole in the front of the boat by not doing it right.

I will be putting the winch and rollers on tomorrow and will have a little play on Baiter slipway and let everyone know the outcome.

Once again many thanks for the advice. I am quite looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference.

Be very careful on Baiter. It's supposed to be blowing a hooley tomorrow.

You probably know this, but I'll stress it anyway . . . Never place yourself in the boat's path. If the wind / tide are blowing across the slip . . stand in an " upstream position " so that if a wave hits the boat, it could be snatched from your hands . . . not thrown ontop of you.

Trapped between a bouncing boat and a concrete surface and underwater is not a good place to be.

Take care if you go tomorrow.

Jim

And do NOT fight it, just let it float to the side of the slip and turn your trailer round and wind it on into the wind/tide. Just get the angle right and you will not have a `fight` on your hands. It will go on v easy if you do this and save you loads of time. (You will not have to re-float it at all if you get it right) You must however, stop the trailer going backwards off the slip as you will not get it back on with the boat on board, just remember to apply the handbrake or chock the wheels.

Good luck tomorrow in that wind!

Freddie, someone recommended that method a while ago to me and i have used it with great success against tide since, but when there is wind and waves I can get it onto the trailer but as soon as I turn the trailer to pull it back up the slipway the waves lift the boat off the trailer again. I even tried strapping the boat to the trailer in the winds last Saturday but the waves actually lifted the boat AND the trailer making it pretty hairy at times.

I think once I have the decent winch, the rollers and a lower pulling location I can PULL the boat onto the trailer in shallower water thus preventing the waves from lifting the boat off the trailer.

I will probably give it a miss tomorrow (although if we could get it on the trailer tomorrow we should be able to do it almost any time)

Graham.

Graham,

I'm not trying to make you jealous - because I've been there with a poorly fitting trailer also. sad.gifsad.gif

I winched my 20ft boat onto the trailer on my own this afternoon - admittedly not in a cross tide or wind - but having to submerge the trailer - even with rollers will have the boat skew wiff on the trailer. You have to use the centering action of the Vee of the hull against the vee of the keel/ side rollers.

Once you get it sorted, you'll wonder why you struggled for so long. I'd also recommend a rear swinging cradle everytime, as these allow you to recover the boat almost from dry land. But this may not be an option for your trailer.

I've also heard the nylon rollers are fantastic, only the cost has put me off so far - but when my current keel rollers wear out - I'm going to get a few.

Hope you get it sorted soon - it'll make a real difference to the boating and fishing experience!!

Paul

I winched my 20ft boat onto the trailer on my own this afternoon - admittedly not in a cross tide or wind - but having to submerge the trailer - even with rollers will have the boat skew wiff on the trailer. You have to use the centering action of the Vee of the hull against the vee of the keel/ side rollers.

Once you get it sorted, you'll wonder why you struggled for so long. I'd also recommend a rear swinging cradle everytime, as these allow you to recover the boat almost from dry land. But this may not be an option for your trailer.

Paul

I struggle with my 16.5 ft boat and trailer at Baiter with a cross wind and/or tide....especially with the waves crashing into my back and knocking me / trailer off the slip..just the thought of bad conditions for recovery put me off and spoil the boat/fishing experience...mad.gif ....so I am very interested to hear about a a "rear swinging cradle"....

My trailer has a "V" set of rubber rollers at the axle location and a couple of guide posts at the rear (are these posts the rear swinging cradle you talk of ?? )

The "V" set of rubber rollers are quite free running because I renewed them last year.

I resisted the nylon type of rollers because of ignorance and inexperience but have since thought of replacing again or adding a second set of nylon rollers at the guide post position...??

I have recovered with relative ease from less than 18" of water at Baiter in the right conditions.....Have to be a bit careful as the boat/ trailer tends to tip backwards as you winch on....but how often do you get those conditions???

I guess the options are either Wick or Cobbs.........Will be happy for any advice/info/guidance.......Cheers all.

Little Sal......please be careful and take extra help for recovery in poor conditions at Baiter......and good luck with the trailer !!

Dave

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Graham - a rope between the car and trailer neck can prevent the neck from riding up. then teh weight of the car gives you something to pull the boat against and stops the trailer potentially slipping in to deeper water - as some of the auto reverse brakes can be a pain the the ***!

Rob

good idea Rob. I have always been a little reluctant to use a rope between the trailer & car in case some jet skier decides to do their normal "speed around the struggling fishermen trying to retreave their boat" trick.

I suppose of it is nice and brightly coloured they shouldnt really miss it. It would also help immensely in trying to pull the boat & trailer back out once she is on there ok. At the moment we have 3 of us pushing & pulling and it moves very very slowly.

good idea Rob. I have always been a little reluctant to use a rope between the trailer & car in case some jet skier decides to do their normal "speed around the struggling fishermen trying to retreave their boat" trick.

I suppose of it is nice and brightly coloured they shouldnt really miss it.

Exactly. The one I use is black! laugh.gif