Radiant Sunday

plaicemat

What a super day to be out on the water, such a pleasure after being confined to barracks with the weather for the last few weeks. I had a little bye day yesterday on a conversion job. I have a friend who I have converted from carp fishing to the more exacting sport of fly fishing and who now wanted the experience of sea angling.

We went out from Christchurch and had a super day, not a red letter one in the sense of trophy fish but it was just a pleasure to be out. Mackerel were hard to find and we managed 4 so had a go for a late bass; too late, I'm afraid. We then tried for a trigger and had everything but; not huge but he had his string pulled. He added about 7 fish to his list of species caught, one of the more surprising which I haven't seen for a number of years being 3 haddock. Which is the point of this posting, really. Are they about in numbers and have I just been unlucky in not catching any?

Only downside to the day was when launching, I gave him some jobs to do and foolishly didn't check. He hadn't pushed in the number plate holders on the trailer which comprehensively furgled the trim tabs on the boat when trying to launch. weep.gif Fortunately, no damage was done to the hull as they are alloy and bend fairly easily, which was fortunate as we were driving home in the dark.

Terry.

Edited by plaicemat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely, Paul, we did get them on feathers as well as a lot of gars, far more than mackerel. I have checked my fish i.d. charts and there is no doubt about what they were. I can remember catching them in Poole Bay in the 1960's (rarely) but haven't seen them since.

Terry.

Bu@@er! I didn't think of that. Well, I know where they were, strangely in two different spots, so will try again. I marked them on the charts just for interest sake and so I could put 'Haddock Mark' on my chart.

Terry.

No probs, Tom, I'll go back and get more. If we randomly got 3 whilst feathering for mackerel, there have to be quite a few of them there. Very strange things are happening these days and I suppose we shouldn't be surprised at anything.

Terry.

I've always wanted to catch a Haddock. It's my favourite eating fish, but I've never ever seen one.

Not wishing to doubt you as I am sure you know your stuff, but this is sooooooo unusual, particularly as you say these were in two locations....

Are you 100% positive on the ID?

It couldn't have been an unusual Whiting, big Poor Cod or even a very strange looking Gurnard???

I am just trying to get my head around your capture rather than dispute that you did it, sorry Terry.

Tom

Similar(ish) to a whiting with the black 'devils' thumb print on the body. i wish i wasn't a sceptic, but hopefully i am wrong as i would also love to target them.

Good luck terry and i wish you plenty of luck catching another, but i would keep the mark to your self for a while or you would have hundreds of boats on it!

Thank goodness for that, Graham, I was beginning to feel like a leper. Despite people saying things like 'I don't doubt you' and 'I'm sure you know your stuff, I can read the sub-text which is saying 'b@ll@cks'.

Exactly as Dan says. Yes, Paul, I do know a hoss mackerel when I see one, I've baited hundreds of crab pots in Norfolk with them. And I'm surprised your so sceptical, Tom, we all believed in your record herring!

Don't run away with the idea of fish and chip sized fish, these would have made a meal for one, although I didn't bother keeping them.

Terry.

Terry

I truly desparately want to believe you, but it is such an astounding catch for Poole Bay. It is not questioning your integrity, I sware, possibly more that it is so unusual that it's natural to doubt.

I seriously would love nothing more than a few small shoals of 1.5lb Haddock to be cruising the bay. I truly, truly would be so pleased. A far nicer catch than a watery Whiting.

As for Tarpon.... well Gnasher, my old mate Dave did manage to get a few going with that one and a couple of us managed to string it out further.

And as for Herring... the difference is my Herring was caught (and eaten) at a time when we were all out there catching... Herring. No mistakes, they were throwing themselves on the hooks.

Once again, it isn't a doubt of your integrity Terry... just I wish someone would have photographed it as it is an awesome catch for our location.

Tom

Of course, all this speculation and doubt, wishing and hoping is wasted on me because I know what I caught and whether or not it's believed is of no consequence. But, when I catch some more, I will be careful to weigh and photograph them.

Terry.

Great news Terry, well done, you've just given us all hope that we might get something different this winter!

Good to have a second report too Graham!

The club record is vacant (just checked) by the way.

Was this on coloured, white, or metallic feathers by the way, and were they baited?

Thanks,

Mike

PS About 10 years ago, I bought some sprats from an inshore netting boat on Poole quay, and he had a box of mixed bits and pieces as well. There was a haddock of about 1lb in there. I asked him where he had made the catch, and he said about a mile off Old Harry.

Your information corresponds with where we used to catch the odd ones in the '60's, Mike. Our's were also in the 1lb class; maybe there are some bigger ones there but we'll have to wait and see. The ones we caught were on unbaited hokkies meant for mackerel.

Terry.

Wow

I have just read this and am pleased to read of another species in the bay.

Well done and I hope they are around when you go there again. and you get the record.

I seem to remember catching them in Scotland on feathers, so perhaps a few have always been around in the winter months after the mackeral have gone and the feathers are left at home.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Right! I wasn't coming down again until the whiting were in but the gauntlet seems to have been thrown down. All being well, I shall try again on Friday (weather permitting) and shall persevere until I catch another haddock. So there!

Terry.