Radiant Sunday

plaicemat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how long in the south

Priceless 80m year old fossilised haddock discovered by pensioner 15 years after he picked it up from the beachBy Rebecca Camber

Last updated at 8:56 AM on 28th July 2008

Comments (-) Add to My Stories

Staring balefully out over the garden pond, it was one of the more unusual items in Peter Parvin's rockery.

The stone shaped like a fish head lay among the retired policeman's display of pottery and shells for more than 15 years after he picked it up on a beach.

Then one night in the pub, he mentioned it to a volunteer from the local museum.

Rock star: The prehistoric haddock is priceless, say fossil experts

And investigations proved that the rock was in fact a fossilised 80million-year-old haddock.

'I have never seen one of these before,' said Dr Ed Jarzembowski, keeper of natural history at the museum in Maidstone, Kent. 'Quite simply, it's priceless.'

The haddock is to be sent to Poland for analysis by scholars, after which 74-year-old Mr Parvin is considering donating it to the museum.

Peter Parvin: Found it 15 years ago

He found it during a caravan holiday at Pevensey in East Sussex. 'I was walking along the seafront with my son and I found it among the pebbles as the tide was going out,' said Mr Parvin, who is deputy mayor of Maidstone.

'It caught my eye because it looked like a fish head. It has always been one of my favourite parts of the rockery, but I didn't think anything of it - we just called it the fish head.'

Following their conversation in the pub, the volunteer from Maidstone Museum

'They laughed at us in amazement' urged Mr Parvin to bring in the fossil for closer inspection.

'When we said it was part of our rockery they just laughed at us in amazement,' he added.

'They said it was 80million years old - which makes the 15 years we've had it look like the blink of an eye.'

Unlike most fossils found from that period, the fish head is encased in flint rather than chalk which makes it particularly rare and valuable.

Experts believe the fish roamed the ocean at the same time as Tyrannosaurus Rex stalked the earth.

Much of what is now Britain would have been under water in the Cretaceous Period between 145million and 65million years ago.

Dr Jarzembowski added: 'It is what is known as an advanced bony fish, meaning it's related to the sort we might have for dinner today.

'It's stuck in flint and so is virtually indestructible. I'm told there are a few of these in private hands but I've never seen one before. It's quite a privilege.'

graham