TomBettle

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

laugh.gif you lot crack me up laugh.gif

I did not see any of the programs but from what you have said it is pretty poor and deserves your damnation

What a bunch of muppets the makers of this series must be for them to think that this kind butchery would appeal to ENGLISH anglers, fishermen or even Joe public. Unless of course the makers are members of PETA and are using this to stir up bad feeling towards us normal conservation minded anglers unsure.gif

Martin

i watched it even though i said i wouldn't and the show was a disgrace! infact the worst IMHO was the catfish being yanked out of the shallows by hand whist they were laying eggs!

2 things.... one it was the male catfish they were catching, as they are the protective ones that swallow your hand...

and surely being yanked out of the water by their (thick) mouth is a damn sight better than being pulled from the depth by a small, sharp hook?

also re: use of the gaff, i thought that was almost necessary on some of the palaegic fish? how else do you get some mahousive (okay not the small ones on the programme) tuna into the boat?

Dan

I doubt those goons actually know the differnece between a male and female catfish and anyway, i would have thought if you put your hand in the 'nest' with plan 2 grab it, you would prob get bitten anyway, whatever the sex.

And the tuna caught were for the pot, so not a real worry, but to gaff the shark was idiotic!

I was sorry that I forgot that this program was on

But even though I have very thick skin and have done plenty of fishing and shooting It does not sound as if I would have enjoyed watching this program.

It seems hard to complain about something you have not seen, but it does not sound as if this sort of footage is doing anything to help the image of us RSA's.

It also shows how far the Yank hunters in some states are behind the times,

During poor weather we do watch a fair bit of fishing on cable and other shows make a great effort to show how well fish are treated and really push catch and release,[Paul Young, Henry Gilbee, I Fish, Rex Hunt John Wilson to name a few] it sounds like these shows deserve the time on mainstream TV, rather than this trash.

Charlie

Charlie

The best show is saved until 10.30 pm tomorrow(Thursday) Rich Hall is going to take us all fishing and expound his theories of life opon us .

Having seen the Trailer I reckon it will be pretty funny and not many fish caught but will have to wait and see.

Peteg

It's already been on for one week, Pete. If you're interested in fishing and like to see lots of fish being caught in the Trossacks (and if that isn't cruelty, I don't know what is), forget it! If you like Rich Hall (and I usually do), there is still not a great deal. Sometimes two comics will spark off each other but these two don't quite make it. sad.gif

Terry.

Edited by plaicemat

I am rather late on this topic but have only just watched the first program.

I was looking forward to an evening in watching them whilst the memsahib was out for a girly evening, but I am afraid I have deleted them all. What absolute rubbish and presented in such a childish way. Just the sort of ammunition the anti fishing lobby is looking for.

Mike

biggrin.gif I have just realised. The TV Programme has exactly the same title as a fishing video I once gave away for a club raffle.

I actually felt sorry for Dean when he selected the DVD in preference to some beer / wine etc. ( It was actually worst than the TV programme ).

I wonder - Did Martin get the DVD as a birthday present later on in the year ? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

apart from the trawlermen are forced to by EU quotas etc.... hardly theyre fault...

Well that is arguable.

If you want to get the quotas increased then how about trawling in an area where you know a large "bycatch" of cod might occur when you so happen to have a TV crew onboard...... ( allegedly ) !

You can't have that much sympathy for a commercial fishing industry that has failed to regulate itself in the past and is unwilling to grasp the nettle now to allow restoration of stocks. The fishing effort required to catch prawns as shown on 'Trawlermen' is surely an indictment of the whole industry and illustrates very well the idea of too many fishermen targeting too few prey. These guys are travelling hundreds of miles to maintain their catches instead of reaching agreements to limit catches in certain ares so that repopulation of closer stocks occurs.

The tragedy continues that those who have made the most money out of fishing call the shots and seem to have governments in their pockets whilst small scale fisheries and the recreational sector are left with slim pickings.

No one doubts the bravery of the deep sea fishermen just their common sense!!

Peter

Had a couple of replies today.

One from the producers saying thanks and they'd pass on my comments to the actual makers and another fom Steve Gowans at ch5 which was much more detailed, claiming that the majority of the audience enjoyed it and defending their right to show it.

It was a standard mass reply as I know a number of people have received the same one.

One from the producers saying thanks and they'd pass on my comments to the actual makers and another fom Steve Gowans at ch5 which was much more detailed, claiming that the majority of the audience enjoyed it and defending their right to show it.

It was a standard mass reply as I know a number of people have received the same one.

Did the majority of viewers write in to voice their appreciation? doubtfull as us humans only respond when we are annoyed or upset.

Would be interesting to know how many positive against negative responses they have received ph34r.gif

Martin

Did the majority of viewers write in to voice their appreciation? doubtfull as us humans only respond when we are annoyed or upset.

Would be interesting to know how many positive against negative responses they have received ph34r.gif

Martin

I did reply Martin, asking how he knew that it was being so well received.

Done - also you can join his forum.

Checkout this post from earlier. If John Wilson was allegedly psd before then imagine what he is now !

============================

Norwich Evening News | 25 July 2008 16:51

Strenuous attempts are to be made to persuade terrestrial television stations to screen angling again.

Angling bosses were expecting a new programme on Channel Five involving the famous award winning camera man Hugh Miles and big fish angler Martin Bowler, a relative of Norfolk's own TV celebrity John Wilson. Unfortunately the programme has been pulled in favour of a different four part series involving the well known actor Robson Green.

John Wilson, who screened 108 programmes in his Go Fishing series said he was speechless that the TV company had favoured a celebrity ahead of Hugh Miles' eight-parter that was filmed over a four and a half year period.

I am both angler and involved in rifle shooting.

Having seen some of this programme for the first time last night, I was utterly appalled at what was going on.

A programme of extreme stupidity and nothing to do with sport.

Robson Green and the production team had a great opportunity to set a good example for angling sportsmanship - how sad is it if they believe that was good sporting practice.

And as for the 'redneck-chicken-shooter' (well moorhen actually) need I say more - other than Mr Green did happen to show one glimmer of intelligence and notice that the area seemed to be devoid of wildlife. I wonder why?

Having badly profiled the two sports I am quite passionate about, I will be putting pen to paper.

Watch your ass Robson, the terrier is loose..........and he's hungry. ph34r.gif